7 Rem Mag

In my opinion, the 7mm REM mag is really suited for medium sized game. It is excellent for whitetail/mule deer and elk. As far as African game, the same applies. I would only upsize to a larger caliber for Eland but heavier for caliber projectiles would be sufficient for Eland. Just my opinion.
Andrew I believe you are correct. The 7Mag can do well on most any game here or there. I know from experience it is an excellent choice for a wide variety of hunts.

It is a perfect caliber for Montana and Idaho hunting where ranges seem to be above 70 yards to any reasonable range.
I would “downgun” if tree stand hunting, too fast for a 20-50 yard shot.
Exactly this. East of I-35, there are few places where fast movers' performance really out-classes slower cartridges to the extent it would make any difference on game. I know lots of guys who do, but I just don't see a point to it. It ruins more meat.

They aren't remarkably "flatter" out to 300, so all that extra velocity confers no advantage, but they are quite advantageous once you get past there, esp. the higher BC 160 and 175 gr pills.

Andrew I believe you are correct. The 7Mag can do well on most any game here or there. I know from experience it is an excellent choice for a wide variety of hunts.
I agree completely. Its suitable for anything that a 30'06 would be and that includes eland with proper bullets.

I have seen a lot of bears up here harvested humanely and successfully with less. I am talking about local hunters.

My PH and I talked about calibers a lot. I know he would have been fine with it to include eland.

As always, the right bullet and placement is where it's at.

I hate threads like these. I am in between 30 06 and 7mm rem mag for next year's treat. And as soon as i lean towards one cartridge then a thread like this comes up to throw me off.
Don't lose sleep over. You can't go wrong with either one. I have the 7mm now because that was the first rifle I ever bought for myself when I was 20 years old. If it had been a .30-06 that was available to me at the time at that store, I might not own a 7 Mag today 32 years later!

If you are going to Limpopo, KZN or NW take the 30-06. If you are going to the Eastern or Northern Cape as well as the Free State take the 7mm.

This is for SA of course.
Just curious as to why the 30-06 for one area and the 7mm for others? Is this based on laws or animals or something else?

Just curious as to why the 30-06 for one area and the 7mm for others? Is this based on laws or animals or something else?

It is suggested based on expected shooting distance. One area is more open than the other.

I have just got my 7 mm Rem re barrelled its a Weatherby Vanguard series 1 in a Bell &Carlson stock it had about 2000 rounds through it ,& the throat was burnt out i use to shoot rabbits with it , stupid i know but lots of fun ,it now has a 25 inch stainless bbl by Swan Gunsmithing in Brisbane 2nd range test
last Saturday,
IMG_20240107_0001.jpg
target attached, its a cartdrige that reaches way out & thumps them, Its an old belted case so to day may be a 7mm Win short mag, or 7 mm PRC may be a better option.

Last edited:
Nice group looks like it was walking a bit. How long did you wait between shots to let the barrel cool. My guess is if you waited a couple of minutes between shots (which is really irritating to do) it would cut tha group in half :) Nice shootinb btw

Nice group looks like it was walking a bit. How long did you wait between shots to let the barrel cool. My guess is if you waited a couple of minutes between shots (which is really irritating to do) it would cut tha group in half :) Nice shootinb btw
I let the bbl cool before the group & shot with about 1 min between shots i do not think it gets much better than that, the bbl is only about .620 inch at muzzle 25 inch long 1-9 twist. Scope Leupold vx2 3-9.

You're probably right. Nice shooting. Can't wait to get my BDL in 7mm Rem Mag from my gunsmith and take it out for a spin. Didn't mean to be critical :)

I don’t think there’s an animal alive that could tell the difference between a 30/06, 7mm, or 300WM within 300 yards. Yes, the WM will shoot a little bigger bullet a little faster than the 30-06, and a 7mm will shoot a little faster than the 30-06, but they are all great cartridges that will take anything in North American and PG in African with proper bullets and shot placement.

I lost my dad a little over a month ago, and will be getting his 7mm and 300wby. He killed 13 elk in 12 years with his 7mm, and I’m hoping to add another big bull to its talley this year.

In your opinion where does Remington's Big Seven really shine?
What shooting conditions/game species is it ideally suited for and under what conditions would you upgun to a larger cartridge?
If I only had one, 7MM REM MAG would be it… Eland, Elk, warthog, bushpig, springbok out to 300 yards, blacktail, coyotes, big or small, it kills them all! I’ve dispatched many animals, in many places, with my 7RM. That will likely continue for me, even though I have other options now.

Bullet choice, shot placement, and practice help with any caliber…

I don’t think there’s an animal alive that could tell the difference between a 30/06, 7mm, or 300WM within 300 yards. Yes, the WM will shoot a little bigger bullet a little faster than the 30-06, and a 7mm will shoot a little faster than the 30-06, but they are all great cartridges that will take anything in North American and PG in African with proper bullets and shot placement.

I lost my dad a little over a month ago, and will be getting his 7mm and 300wby. He killed 13 elk in 12 years with his 7mm, and I’m hoping to add another big bull to its talley this year.
Sorry for the loss of your Father.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!