6.5 Creedmore for Australia

Would you have or relate to any of the following?

• Man Bun

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Latte

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 6.5 Creedmore . for hunting

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Hipster lifestyle

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A 6.5cm rifle period

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Purchase .243 over the 6.5cm

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters
T
STOP THE COUNT!
I just heard there's a new cartridge called 25Creedmoor. You know for those who simply can't decide between 6mm and 6.5mm
The issue (at least in USA) isn’t 243/6mm or 6.5mm. It’s that marketing and long range target shooters have turned the 6.5 creedmoor into something it isn’t for hunting. So a large portion of people (usually including myself) hear the word creedmoor and automatically say no.

Just get the 243... it's sensible for what he needs and ammo will be available in 20 years.

Disparage it all you want. But the great things about the 6.5 Creedmoor are that it carries roughly twice the energy at 500 yards of what a 243 does and it does it with no noticeable difference in recoil. It was designed for long range with minimal recoil and it does that exceedingly well. Plus it performs fabulously at shorter ranges with proper bullets. I personally like it more than the 308 overall. But I'm not using a 308 for hunting bigger or tougher animals. And the 7mm-08 is a great option that is in between the 6.5 Creedmoor and 308.

As for the 6.5x55, no arguments that it can be a fantastic hunting cartridge and perhaps better than the Creedmoor, especially if hand loading. Same story for the 7x57 vs. the 7mm-08 and the venerable 30-06 vs a 308;)

An issue that does come up is which rifles are available in which calibers. Especially for those looking for low cost shooters right out of the box. I have a Ruger 77 Hawkeye Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and a Ruger African in 6.5x55. The Predator will shoot 1/2" groups, the African will not.

Aren't we fortunate to have so many fantastic options available?

Disparage it all you want. But the great things about the 6.5 Creedmoor are that it carries roughly twice the energy at 500 yards of what a 243 does and it does it with no noticeable difference in recoil. It was designed for long range with minimal recoil and it does that exceedingly well. ....
Exactly!

And if you run Chuck Hawks K Factor numbers, (Ft Lbs x SD x Frontal Area), the 6.5CM is close to double the 243 at 100 Yards. My Tikka CM pushes a 140 gr NPT at 2,765 fps and the 140 gr AF just behind that. Ballistically equal to the 6.5x55, using less powder.

About 16 years ago when I was reloading for and shooting several M96 6.5x55s, I said if they ever come out with a modern version of the 6.5 Swede, I would buy it.
They did, IMO.

My Brother has an urge to buy another rifle so who am I to say it’s a bad idea. He has a .308 Browning X Bolt for light carry and the recoil is sharp.
He has a Lithgow Crossover in .223 and has designs on a second Lithgow Crossover.
Available factory options include .243, 6.5cm and .308.
He is leaning toward a .243 because they are well established in Australia and with moderate recoil he is comfortable shooting from the car and over the bench and taking pigs and other pests that present. Maybe small deer species if opportunity presents
Now with the 6.5 cm being available he has considered it.
I formed an opinion long ago that 7mm-08 is a good allrounder mainly as I was considering I wanted a true short action compact rifle with a projectile with a minimum diameter of .270.
Yesterday the truth came out that while the 6.5cm is relatively new he is concerned that I, (What Me?) might associate the 6.5 trendmore with names like, Latte, Hipster and Man Bun making it sound gay. It’s only a cartridge FFS.
Anyway would any of my new found friends here like to write hear about your preferences?
It’s not a fad but it’s not replacing my 7mm-08 for me.
@CBH
Chris can you really see me ticking on one or moe of those boxes.
Could you really see me with a man bun, sipping a frigging yuppie latte while discussing the merits of the 6.5 crudmore over that other horrible little cartridge. That would be akin to me puncing around the bush in ballet shoes, a pink tutu and a magic wand.
If you find me doing the above please check my consumption of Bundy Rum or give me a good bitch slapping to bring me back to my senses.

Neither of these descriptions are fitting for the rugged, individualistic Whelen toting, Bundy drinking outdoors type as myself.
Bob

STOP THE COUNT!
I just heard there's a new cartridge called 25Creedmoor. You know for those who simply can't decide between 6mm and 6.5mm
@samu
The 25 credemore has been around since the 250/3000 Savage was born.it is called the 250 Savage AI.
The 6.5 creed is just a necked up 250AI with a different shoulder angle. Maybe we could end up reinventing the wheel.
Bob

And then there is the 30 Creedmoor.
Mistakenly referred to as the 308 Winchester by some. ;)

@samu
The 25 credemore has been around since the 250/3000 Savage was born.it is called the 250 Savage AI.
The 6.5 creed is just a necked up 250AI with a different shoulder angle. Maybe we could end up reinventing the wheel.
Bob
Wheel has definitely been reinvented and I suspect it will happen again and again as long as there's one fool left to part with their money for sake of novelty.
I do have to correct you though. 6.5 Creedmoor is developed out of .30 Thompson Center which to my knowledge had no parent case it was developed from.
And then there is the 30 Creedmoor.
Mistakenly referred to as the 308 Winchester by some. ;)
Nope. Still .30TC

Really the best part about 6.5 Creedmoor, notice the spelling, is how it has the capability of rise the blood pressure of some people by just mere hint at the name. If I said I hunt with 6.5x55 people would just nod and grunt agreeingly and someone would mention how people kill moose in sweden with it. With creedmoor I get the exact same result in the business end with slightly easier load development, less powder consumption and less heat load in the suppressor PLUS I get to enjoy discussions like these wherever I go. And if I need to buy factory ammo, even around here these days, creamdoor factory loads have 30-100fps advantage over the swede.

There's one problem though. I personally like pour over coffee from properly green washed small plantation and I can't get over the phase where the hair is kind of too long but not long enough for the man bun so I just give up and get it hacked down again. I guess what I try to say the stereotype is way off.

Wheel has definitely been reinvented and I suspect it will happen again and again as long as there's one fool left to part with their money for sake of novelty.
I do have to correct you though. 6.5 Creedmoor is developed out of .30 Thompson Center which to my knowledge had no parent case it was developed from.

Nope. Still .30TC

Really the best part about 6.5 Creedmoor, notice the spelling, is how it has the capability of rise the blood pressure of some people by just mere hint at the name. If I said I hunt with 6.5x55 people would just nod and grunt agreeingly and someone would mention how people kill moose in sweden with it. With creedmoor I get the exact same result in the business end with slightly easier load development, less powder consumption and less heat load in the suppressor PLUS I get to enjoy discussions like these wherever I go. And if I need to buy factory ammo, even around here these days, creamdoor factory loads have 30-100fps advantage over the swede.

There's one problem though. I personally like pour over coffee from properly green washed small plantation and I can't get over the phase where the hair is kind of too long but not long enough for the man bun so I just give up and get it hacked down again. I guess what I try to say the stereotype is way off.
@samu
Well why didn't they call it the 6.5 TC like normal people do when the use a different call on a parent case like 22/250 , 7/08, 400/450
It may be a great cartridge for hunting/ target but I'm just an old school type and can't see the sense in filling gaps that don't exist.
Dang even my 4x4 is still old school.
Bob

@samu
Well why didn't they call it the 6.5 TC like normal people do when the use a different call on a parent case like 22/250 , 7/08, 400/450
It may be a great cartridge for hunting/ target but I'm just an old school type and can't see the sense in filling gaps that don't exist.
Dang even my 4x4 is still old school.
Bob
Bigger question is why not call it 6.5 Hornady. TC was developed for another company and flopped magnificently so no wonder they didn't want to keep the name. Notice how 6.5PRC and 300PRC also are developed by Hornady and have names that don't directly refer to them. Something I wonder is if the company that develops and gets the cartridge added to CIP/SAAMI books gets some kind of compensation when other companies produce brass or ammo for that? If not, how does Hornady actually benefit from pushing new chamberings on market?

I’ve got a buddy who’s a long range guy. I had a blast shooting his 6.5 Creedmoor. IMHO it is obviously a well proven cartridge in the role it was developed for. I’m sure it’s an excellent deer sized game round with the right bullet. No experience there. I like the illustrious Creedmoor name in there but I don’t like the metric designation. I’d probably own one if it was the 264 Creedmoor. It probably sounds weird but I just don’t like metric designations on American cartridges with a few exceptions. I know it doesn’t make much sense but I just see it as a marketing gimmick. Having said that, marketing gimmicks are nothing new. Didn’t Mr. Purdey come up with the term “express” when comparing his rounds to an express train? By the way, Happy Thanksgiving!

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen "That would be akin to me puncing around the bush in ballet shoes, a pink tutu and a magic wand." we should take up a collection of $$$ that would be paid to see a pic of your visit to the bush so dressed:X3::A Stirring::D Beers:

Aside from the joking, manufactures make money on coming up with new things that do exactly what the old reliable rounds have been doing for years. When used for the right situation the 6.5 creed does what it was designed for. There will be folks that try and push it and others into a role that is a step to far but then that is human nature. In spring 2021 I am taking my 500 Jeff to backup a buddy on a DG hunt and my 6.5creed to the EC with KMG for small plains game and night kritters. Both are a correct tool for me on the game that are intended to hunt.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen "That would be akin to me puncing around the bush in ballet shoes, a pink tutu and a magic wand." we should take up a collection of $$$ that would be paid to see a pic of your visit to the bush so dressed:X3::A Stirring::D Beers:

Aside from the joking, manufactures make money on coming up with new things that do exactly what the old reliable rounds have been doing for years. When used for the right situation the 6.5 creed does what it was designed for. There will be folks that try and push it and others into a role that is a step to far but then that is human nature. In spring 2021 I am taking my 500 Jeff to backup a buddy on a DG hunt and my 6.5creed to the EC with KMG for small plains game and night kritters. Both are a correct tool for me on the game that are intended to hunt.
@AZDAVE It would have to be a lot of money to make it happen plus a bottle of Bundy.
The last time I wore shorts the police wanted to lock me up for having no visible means of support my legs are that bad and the rest of the body ain't no oil painting either.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg