6.5 Creedmore for Australia

Would you have or relate to any of the following?

• Man Bun

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Latte

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 6.5 Creedmore . for hunting

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Hipster lifestyle

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A 6.5cm rifle period

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Purchase .243 over the 6.5cm

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters
the cartridge was designed for sling shooting at 800, 900, and 1000 yds.
the discipline concerned is palma shooting where 308 is not manditory..
it has less wind deflection then the 308 and less recoil.
for this job it is an excellent chambering.
palma shooting is at known ranges, and sight adjustments are made to suit.
all the bullet has to do is punch holes in the target, closer to the centre the better.
for some reason hunters have taken the creedmoor on for longer range hunting.
no consideration for terminal bullet performance or energy levels seem to be considered.
even with long target barrels, but more so with hunting length barrels, velocities do not offer much of a point blank range.
her in oz, we might well have to shoot a bit further out, but sight adjusting is not ideal in our job, so a longer point blank trajectory is preferable.
and when the bullet gets there it needs power.
in this trajectory range the 308 is a far superior hunting round.
in any calibre, the 30/06 size case offers more further out.
bruce.

Far superior is bit of a reach.. 308 has only 500J advantage over creedmoor at muzzle and inherently sheds energy faster so the difference is only 300J at 300m. None of the mentioned are designed for hunting but the bullet doesn't know that. If maximizing PBR is your thing the relevant argument would be Weatherby vs. Nosler

the 308 is simply a better killer due to bullet diameter.
some game is more suited to bullets of lower sectional density, and the 308 can deliver a 150 gn bullet far more deadlier than a similar s.d bullet from the creedmoor.
with regards the super flat shooters, there is an argument for them, but they are specialized.
i have both a 280 and a 7mm stw.
there is a place for both, but the 280 gets more use.
bruce.

The .308 was introduced as a hunting round with hunting projectiles after the 7.62x51 was developed . It’s on an advantage of 500 joules, an “advantage” being the optimum word. Advantage, I will take it.
The 7mm-08 evolved from a need by Metallic Silhouette otters requiring more impact energy down range.
There is a You Tube video showing 6.5vs7mm-08vs.308 I don’t have time to look but the presenter shows good graphs of Lls the technical date etc and is constantly defending the 6.5 by showing specs and saying but you can see it’s very close for this and almost the same here.
I expect using appropriate target projectiles it does what it was intended to do as Bruce outlined. As a hunting round the others have an advantage in impact energy.
There are many the will increase MPBR but I am interested in the performance and suitability of the 6.5cm as an all round user friendly round for Australia, and the rifle it is being considered in is an Australian built Lithgow Crossover. A medium weight barrelled rifle intended to be versatile with the ability to hunt and be suitable for light target use.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a great caliber. That it's modern and was made popular by the long range target (PRS) crowd, should not be a deterrent.

6.5PRC is the sensible 6.5mm magnum that doesn't make your barrels single use only.
I appreciate the input but the 6.5PRC is still a short action.
Of the long/magnum actions length 6.5mm options...
The only 6.5mm I'd consider is the 264WM.
Reasonable barrel life and still wicked fast.

But that's for me, not @CBH Australia.
Who is claiming to "ask for a friend" :rolleyes:

I suppose as newer cartridge the PRC should be just the right cup of latte for @CBH Australia.. the friend I mean.

My point was really somehow it just feels that past 4000J it would be good idea to increase the hole diameter. For a short case the 6.5OneChina gets quite close to the win mag.

While at it, what's the largest game you would shoot with 264WM?

Oh, I have a friend interested in a Blaser, can anyone point toward a reputable person who might be able to give a fair appraisal of the Blaser?
Someone Impartial of course.

I doubt if many actually care,I do not.
Well its not vital of course, but its just as easy to spell it correct as spell it wrong.... so why not spell it right?:D

While at it, what's the largest game you would shoot with 264WM?
Thin skinned animals less than 300# at less than 300 yards.
If I were going for Moose, I'd at least have my 300WM.
But more than likely, I'd take the 375H&H.
Why not, Moose country is Bear country.

Oh, I have a friend interested in a Blaser, can anyone point toward a reputable person who might be able to give a fair appraisal of the Blaser?
Someone Impartial of course.
Send it to me, I'll give you an appraisal. ;)
But honestly, I don't know anyone in NSW.

Well its not vital of course, but its just as easy to spell it correct as spell it wrong.... so why not spell it right?:D
well the spelling of creedmoor is from the creedmoor rifle range in new york.
it was there that the first international long range rifle match was hels, where the americans just beat the irish.
also the 1876 centenial match where the americans beat all comers from many nations it is a significat era of long range shooting, held in great respect by many.
the shooting ranges , 800, 900, and 1000 yds went on to become the palma match we have today.
i spent 5 yrs of my life shooting those ranges with black powder cartridge rifles and paper patched bullets, and have nothing but respect for the old dead guys that paved the way.
the 6.5 creedmoor is aptly named for its designated task.
it is however not suited to taking game at similar ranges.
bruce.

Thin skinned animals less than 300# at less than 300 yards.
If I were going for Moose, I'd at least have my 300WM.
But more than likely, I'd take the 375H&H.
Why not, Moose country is Bear country.
Shot my first moose with 9,3x62 just week ago. Through shoulder joint and heart. Not that those shot with 308win in our group died any worse but I definitely have no regrets ditching the 6.5x55 for moose hunting. Meanwhile the creedmoor did really nice job on roe deer earlier in season. If there was something to complain, getting the R8 match profile on 6.5 was really an overkill and I'm carefully considering a trade in for 52cm STD barrel in same chambering.

I think the 6.5CM is a great cartridge for deer sized game. It is also easy to shoot. It is the kind of caliber that is fun to bring to the range, kids can use it, and adults tend to shoot it very well due to low recoil.
If you can only have one rifle... not this caliber, I’d go bigger. But we aren’t dealing with a one rifle limit. So I vote to get one.

No on the latte, espresso is good enough.

if I had enough hair for a man bun, maybe.

A .243 is just a 6.5CM with a bigger bullet.

I think the 6.5CM is a great cartridge for deer sized game. It is also easy to shoot. It is the kind of caliber that is fun to bring to the range, kids can use it, and adults tend to shoot it very well due to low recoil.
If you can only have one rifle... not this caliber, I’d go bigger. But we aren’t dealing with a one rifle limit. So I vote to get one.

No on the latte, espresso is good enough.

if I had enough hair for a man bun, maybe.

A .243 is just a 6.5CM with a bigger bullet.
How is a .243 just a 6.5 with a bigger bullet? .243 shoots a .243 bullet and the 6.5 shoots a .264 bullet.

How is a .243 just a 6.5 with a bigger bullet? .243 shoots a .243 bullet and the 6.5 shoots a .264 bullet.
Thank you for the correction. I meant to say the reverse. In my opinion the case sizes are sufficiently similar that the 6.5CM is about the same as a .243, just with a bigger bullet.

Can’t believe I would ever vote for a 6.5 creedmore, but there is nothing wrong with it as long as people realize it’s comparable to a 270 Winchester not a 300 win mag
I voted for the .243 because the Creedmoor's are getting too trendy for me!! Haha, all jokes aside 6.5 Creedmoor's are awesome for shooting holes in paper at really really long ranges, and doing it many many times without burning thru barrels as fast as a Win Mag does. Which makes them excellent candidates for PRS matches and such. And with so many companies competing to make guns for these matches there's a litany of parts, ammo, cans, etc. available. They're great for whitetail, and probably humans as well. However that being said, I don't know any of my former teammates who were snipers that would re-chamber their MK13s from 300 Win mag to 6.5 creedmor. Like you said, they're just not the same!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg