6.5 Creedmoor for Plains Game

my guess is that they have not seen the 6.5x55 in use and don't realize what it is capable of while they use and know what the 270 will do they have probly chased down cripples from the 270s

Just my 2 bits, and it’s free, so take it for what it’s worth. The Nosler LRAB’s may not be the best choice for tough game such as zebra.
I was chatting with one of the Nosler engineers last year at SHOT Show. I shoot the 142 Long Range Accubonds out of my 6.5 x 47 Lapua (paper and steel) and the conversation eventually turned to hunting with that combination. He had two things to say. The original published BC was significantly high and he much preferred the performance of the Accubond over the LR version for most hunting. Unless you are intentionally shooting game at long distance, the AB has a better velocity envelope (regardless of what their website says)and generally performs better on game. Over expansion at distances most game is shot is a real problem.
I have never shot anything but paper and steel with my 6.5 x 47 so I have no first hand experience, but common sense tells me bullets designed to adequately expand down to about 1300 fps may be problematic at velocities of 2500 and above.
I would give Nosler a call and talk with a ballistics engineer. They are very happy to discuss ballistics and hunting.

That is the most ludicrous thing I’ve ever heard. There isn’t a lick of difference in performance on game between the two.

Rewind 20 years. The guy had been hunting with his .270 for as long as he can remember. The closest thing in, his frame of reference, resembling the 6,5x55 is a .243. I understand it, but it's not nice being on the losing side of an argument because the other party is uninformed.

Back to OP. If you bring the 6,5 over my choice for larger game in SA would be 140gr A-frames or 130gr Scirocco

If I'm not mistaken. Woodleighs has a 160 grain for the 6.5

I feel bullet selection is the important thing.

Can you get 160 grain solids? Would be fun to do some iron sight hunting or back up on a wounded wildebeest etc

Can you get 160 grain solids? Would be fun to do some iron sight hunting or back up on a wounded wildebeest etc
It's a 160 spiral point weldcore. Bc is 509. I've been shooting 140 gr Nosler BT and I'm getting .4 groups with the woodleighs. I've yet to use on anything but everything looks promising. Midway is the only place I've found them in stock. I hope this helps. Good luck bud.

Gents,

I've only shot Less than a half dozen zebras.
And, I've only seen 2 or 3 more being shot by other fellows.
And so, I'm no expert on zebra hunting.
However, what little education I did gain from the above limited experiences has left me with the impression that the .30-06 / 180 grain seems like a humane minimum for these stoutly built animals.
And at that, a bonded one would be my preference, such as the Swift A-Frame.

In furtherance of this topic, one of the zebras I shot was from a .450 No2 NE
Range: 40 paces.
Bullet: 480 gr flat nose soft (Hornady).

It smashed through the on-side shoulder joint / heavy bone and was found under the skin, just behind opposite shoulder.
I've a picture of this recovered bullet, posted in my photos I think.
This stallion only staggered at the impact, then ran.
Of course it soon did fall quite dead (after bashing head first into a tree).
However, the fact that it stayed on its hooves (three of them anyway) after such a substantial impact / mortal wound, left me very impressed with how genuinely tough zebra can be.

Ruark said "Always use enough gun" and I'm +1 with that policy.

Cheers,
Velo Dog

Gents,

I've only shot Less than a half dozen zebras.
And, I've only seen 2 or 3 more being shot by other fellows.
And so, I'm no expert on zebra hunting.
However, what little education I did gain from the above limited experiences has left me with the impression that the .30-06 / 180 grain seems like a humane minimum for these stoutly built animals.
And at that, a bonded one would be my preference, such as the Swift A-Frame.

It smashed through the on-side shoulder joint / heavy bone and was found under the skin, just behind opposite shoulder.
However, the fact that it stayed on its hooves (three of them anyway) after such a substantial impact / mortal wound, left me very impressed with how genuinely tough zebra can be.

Ruark said "Always use enough gun" and I'm +1 with that policy.

Cheers,
Velo Dog

I'm in full agreement with Velo Dog on this one - I posted before, and at that time was the only one to express concern about the capability of the 6.5's when tackling tough African game. I suspect there are a lot of others in agreement with us, they just haven't taken the time to post.

I've visited with a lot of outfitters and been on a ton of web sites - and have yet to hear or see an outfitter say or mention "yup, come on over with your 6.5" The most common recommendation on a website is a .30 cal magnum with stout well constructed bullets - sometimes a 7mm mag or 30-06 gets mention.

I suspect that these African guys know what they are talking about, and there is a reason for their recommendations...

I'm with the two gentlemen above.
So you have a Creedmoor. It doesn't mean you should take it to Africa and shoot what can be tough animals.
Sure you can take it for Springbok, Impala and smaller game but I firmly believe that Wildebeest, Zebra and Kudu need a larger calibre and heavier hitting bullet so why not take a . 30 cal and cover all bases instead of carting multiple rifles across the globe.
Cut the cost of transporting rifles and risking potential loss or damage to them and take a good, solid, recommended calibre and bullets and cover all eventualities.
I'm sure you can take a Creedmoor to Africa and be successful with it.
Does it mean that you should?
In my opinion, no.
Show some respect to the animals and hunt them with a boring tried and tested calibre and bullet combination.
It's an expensive hobby if you don't put your animals down. If you lose a zebra will you then be happy knowing it's wounded and lost and you have a $1000 hole in your pocket?
Will you then wish you had a trusty 30-06 in your hand?

I agree as well. My favourite riflemi own is a 26 Nosler shoots 1/4 Moa all day. But for my first trip and listening to everyone with experience hunting Africa, I am picking up a 375 for this trip. Just my 2 cents.

I had asked my PH about the 6.5CM prior to going, he suggested I bring my .30-06 instead (which I did, w/ 180 gr Swift A-Frames). Now to be fair, he did ok my wife shooting her .270 Win. She used said .270 to take a zebra with 140 gr A-Frames.

Please remember the ARE NOT NOSLER ACCUBOND BULLETS. They are the AccuBond Long Range, which is a different bullet.

much softer than accubonds so they open up better at very long range. long range and Africa are usually mutually exclusive

much softer than accubonds so they open up better at very long range. long range and Africa are usually mutually exclusive
I’ve heard that. The thing is, at Creedmoor speeds, wouldn’t the ABLRs be fine at all ranges? Going about 2700-2800 fps at the muzzle shouldn’t be taxing on any hunting bullet.

It almost harkens back to the great African cartridges of yesteryear, with long, heavy for caliber bullets launched at very moderate speeds: 6.5 MS, .275 Rigby, etc. Plus, I know the .270 Win enjoys a great deal of love in many parts of Africa, and apparently the 6.5 Creedmoor is now the #1 selling cartridge choice of new rifles sold in South Africa.

Last edited:
Can anyone please explain what the differences are between a 270 shooting a 140 Gr. A Frame and a 6.5 Swede. or Creedmoor at 2775 or 2825 FPS when used on African PG?

Can anyone please explain what the differences are between a 270 shooting a 140 Gr. A Frame and a 6.5 Swede. or Creedmoor at 2775 or 2825 FPS when used on African PG?
I don’t know about African PG, but on North American caribou (up to 700 lbs), elk (up to 1,100 lbs) and moose (up to 1,800 lbs), there isn’t a lick of difference.

No difference as well as if it was 300 win mag or more. Dead is dead and any gun for 243 up can be used on most plains game. I am just glad my 257 wthby does not have hurt feeling but the fact it has killed 10 plus animals in Africa with quicker kills then even my 300 speaks for itself.

Good bullet at the right place equals all the same a very dead animal in the end. I know guys like to say how much tougher plains game is over there compared to are elk and deer but that is a load of bs to.

The greatest performance of any bullet I’ve ever seen was a bullet that went in at the point of the left shoulder of a facing bull elk, broke said shoulder, destroyed internals, completely destroyed right hip and left a 1” diameter exit wound in the right butt cheek. The 6x6 bull weighed approximately 1,000 lbs on the hoof, and the bullet was a 120 grain TTSX fired from a .260 Rem at a distance of 200 yards.

I’m not sure what African PG would require more penetration and bone breaking than the above, as I’ve never hunted there. I do know that wild, free range, public land bull elk are pretty tough SOBs.

The 6.5 Creedmoor and the .260 Rem are almost identical ballistically, but the Creedmoor does handle longer, heavier bullets better in standard length magazines.

I’ve heard that. The thing is, at Creedmoor speeds, wouldn’t the ABLRs be fine at all ranges? Going about 2700-2800 fps at the muzzle shouldn’t be taxing on any hunting bullet.

It almost harkens back to the great African cartridges of yesteryear, with long, heavy for caliber bullets launched at very moderate speeds: 6.5 MS, .275 Rigby, etc. Plus, I know the .270 Win enjoys a great deal of love in many parts of Africa, and apparently the 6.5 Creedmoor is now the #1 selling cartridge choice of new rifles sold in South Africa.

good point but if you are looking for penetration at ranges 100 and less a bonded bullet or monometal will get you 2 holes instead of 1. air in blood out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg