6.5 Creedmoor for Plains Game

I picked up a 6.5 Creedmoor a few months ago and have yet to get it out to the range (snowed in Minnesota Yesterday). I load my own so I can't wait to get it to the range and start testing. I'm thinking 375HH and 6.5 for Africa

Seeing this post come up again makes me want to try the 142 Gr ABLR and or the 143 Gr Nosler ELDX in my Swedish Mauser. I'm getting 2775 FPS with Partitions and I don't think the additional two or three grains of bullet weight will be much of a factor. Are there any other Swede "aficionados" out there that have tried these new bullets? If so, how did they perform?
My 6.5x55 swede which is a Ruger M77 shot the them (the ELD-X) ok. It has a 1:8" twist in the barrel. I am not a fan of boat tail bullets though... as they usually tend to be less accurate and less sturdy than their flat based counterparts. The other thing is that the ELD is, it is not a bonded bullet. It's just a fancy tipped cup'n core bullet. I am not even sure it has the Hornady interlock ring in it.

For the OP, personally, spending so much $ to go on a hunt for what could be large bull elk sized animals, with heavy bones and a low placed vital area (which, it is recommended to shoot through the shoulder to get to, and to bring the animal down quick), Niether of these bullets would be my choice. When a drop of blood is a trophy fee, personally, I would go with a good Partition, Woodleigh 160 grain PP or a Swift A-Frame. I know they aren't as sexy as the new, sleek "long range, sniper, pick-them-off-from-a-half-mile" bullets. But I would bet the one phrase that will tickle your PH more than some phenominal long range shooting skill, is the phrase "Can you get me any closer?"

ChrisG, you know that we reloaders are always looking for more, i.e. more speed, more accuracy etc. I normally use the 140 Gr. Partition. Old man, old school rifle & caliber, old school bullet, I'm beginning to recognize a thyme here. Have you tried the 142 Gr. Nosler ABLR?

I don't think the creedmor is legal in Namibia but may be up to outfitter.

ChrisG, you know that we reloaders are always looking for more, i.e. more speed, more accuracy etc. I normally use the 140 Gr. Partition. Old man, old school rifle & caliber, old school bullet, I'm beginning to recognize a thyme here. Have you tried the 142 Gr. Nosler ABLR?
No... I never have. I shot the regular accubond, but there's nothing to say about it that hasn't been said. It shot well and is modern bonded bullet. The ELD shot around an inch a 100 yards. I never took an animal with it as I usually just use a partition in that rifle for hunting. I am with you. Manufacturers need to stop coming out with bullets that they claim are so much better than their competitors. Then when you really look at it, you realize they are nitpicking minutiae about other bullets that doesn't really matter. I think I am going to come out with a new bullet let me know what you think of my new marketing pitch:

[a slow motion shot of a bullet entering ballistics gel, then cut to a grizzly bear collapsing]

"The Swift A-Frame only penetrates 104 inches.... Yesterday's technology. Introducing the new Stormageddeon bullet. Penetration that can't be matched. Designed from the ground up to penetrate to an astounding 104.25 inches! [cut to shot of bullet entering ballistics gel again]. These bullets absolutely hammer dangerous game. With their combination of exceptional penetration and threatening logos monogrammed into the nose, shoot with confidence! 25th century bullets for the 21st century hunter."

[cut to more kill shots of large game]

"Stormageddon... Too good to believe."

Now I just need to design the bullet.

I personally wouldn't even consider taking a 6.5 over there - one borderline hit, one lost animal and the cost of a rifle is pretty insignificant. Not many guys are real good at waiting for that Kudu to turn just right for the close good shot, when he's about half a step from disappearing forever.

Do yourself a favor - reach a little deeper into your gun cabinet or drop down to the local sporting goods store and find yourself something that will handle the job - in the long run it will probably save you time and money and make your outfitter / PH a lot happier

Nosler guy, I'm willing to split hairs with you. There are lots of African animals smaller than a Kudu for which a 6.5 is perfect. Although I wouldn't intentionally hunt Kudu with my 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser I certainly would not pass on a once in a lifetime Kudu standing perfectly broadside at under 100 yds. But again that is just me.

Nosler guy, I'm willing to split hairs with you. There are lots of African animals smaller than a Kudu for which a 6.5 is perfect. Although I wouldn't intentionally hunt Kudu with my 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser I certainly would not pass on a once in a lifetime Kudu standing perfectly broadside at under 100 yds. But again that is just me.

the post mentions "Kudu and Zebra" ...

sooner or later ... his time and his money - just trying to help out

Find out how the PH/ Outfitter feels. You do not need the added pressure of your PH not trusting the caliber or insisting you use his rifle.

Prior to the current 6,5-mania many farmers wouldn't let me shoot Gemsbuck / Kudu with my 6,5x55 with a premium 140gr bullet, yet they would offer me the use of their .270s and cheap 130gr factory ammo.

I can see both sides of the argument. I've hunted plenty big antelope with a 6,5x55 & x57, yet if I had to imagine going on an expensive northern hemisphere hunt that included elk or caribou I'd probably go .30 caliber or bigger. Perhaps the power of the mind more than fact coming into play here

It probably also has a lot to do with PH,'' NOT wanting to spend time chasing up wounded animals. Larger caliber and heavier bullets tend to get the animal down even when hit badly.
The PH has no idea of your shooting skills and thus tends to want bigger calibers just in case.

Last edited:
my 6.5 Creedmoor 142 grain Nosler AccuBond Long Range bullets. 143 grain Hornady ELD-X.

specifically designed to perform on game in the Creedmoor from right off the muzzle to half a mile away and more.

Really?? and you believe that there really is a bullet that will perform as desired at the muzzle and at 1,000 yards away on something more than punching holes in paper or clanging the gong? I suppose they may have devised such a bullet, but I'll wait for the movie.

Find out how the PH/ Outfitter feels. You do not need the added pressure of your PH not trusting the caliber or insisting you use his rifle.

Prior to the current 6,5-mania many farmers wouldn't let me shoot Gemsbuck / Kudu with my 6,5x55 with a premium 140gr bullet, yet they would offer me the use of their .270s and cheap 130gr factory ammo.

I can see both sides of the argument. I've hunted plenty big antelope with a 6,5x55 & x57, yet if I had to imagine going on an expensive northern hemisphere hunt that included elk or caribou I'd probably go .30 caliber or bigger. Perhaps the power of the mind more than fact coming into play here
It's like quail plantations and 12 bores - strictly poor form. I have yet to have someone explain the difference to me between a 1 ounce load of 8's from a 20 and the same load from a 12.

you know that we reloaders are always looking for more, i.e. more speed, more accuracy etc.
Shootist 43. I don't reload, but I read many of the posts you guys throw up. We have one esteemed member (no name) who I believe is constantly trying to get a 500 gr bullet up to 3300 FPS so he can tag a buffalo at 500 yards. So I guess your comment at least partially supports my belief!!!

It's like quail plantations and 12 bores - strictly poor form. I have yet to have someone explain the difference to me between a 1 ounce load of 8's from a 20 and the same load from a 12.

Larger wad....:whistle:

Really?? and you believe that there really is a bullet that will perform as desired at the muzzle and at 1,000 yards away on something more than punching holes in paper or clanging the gong? I suppose they may have devised such a bullet, but I'll wait for the movie.
No, I don’t believe it. But I know today’s bullets are exponentially better than those that African reputations were built on by Ruark, Bell, Shelby, et al. I also know that I’ve killed more bull elk on public land with 6.5s and .277s in more impressive fashion than I did with .338 and .300 magnums. In fact, after shooting my fourth bull with a .338 Win Mag and Nosler Partitions, I sold the rifle because my 6.5x284, .270 Win and .270 Wby all seemed to kill elk faster. They were a helluva lot easier to practice with, too.

I’m more a believer in how bullets perform on game at various impact velocities. Energy means nothing to me because no bullet has enough energy to knock down a 120 lb deer let alone a 1,000 lb bull elk. I’m a believer in penetration with controlled expansion to reach the CV system of an animal from any angle. If you take out heart or lungs, the animal dies. Of course, if you miss vitals or the CNS, a 416 Rigby won’t help you any more than the same miss with a .257 Roberts. It might leave a bigger blood trail, though.

The most penetration I’ve ever seen on a wild animal was accomplished by a 120 grain Barnes TTSX fired from a little.260 Rem at around 200 yards. About 5’ from chest to a butt-cheek exit on a big bull elk.

I’d imagine that might work on Kudu and Zebra, but I’ve never hunted them so I cannot say for sure. I just know I’d have every bit as much confidence in it than I would in a 250 NP from a .338 WM or a 180 NP from a 300 Wby, which penetrate a bit less in my field experience.

well having killed 6 elk with 100 gr barnes ttsx andtsx from 200 to 550 yrds and having 4 of those pass through all 1 shot kills I know what a barnes bullet is capable of out of a 25-06 BUT if I was spending the money for a African hunt I would dig into my gun cabnit and get the 300 win mag out and use my 168 gr ttsx bt bullets and feel like I had enough gun for kudu,eland zebra whatever and probly gain favor with my ph

well having killed 6 elk with 100 gr barnes ttsx andtsx from 200 to 550 yrds and having 4 of those pass through all 1 shot kills I know what a barnes bullet is capable of out of a 25-06 BUT if I was spending the money for a African hunt I would dig into my gun cabnit and get the 300 win mag out and use my 168 gr ttsx bt bullets and feel like I had enough gun for kudu,eland zebra whatever and probly gain favor with my ph
If eland was on the menu (it’s not), I’d probably take my .338 Federal shooting 160 or 185 TTSX. That thing is a hammer with those bullets and they leave two BIG holes.

That is the most ludicrous thing I’ve ever heard. There isn’t a lick of difference in performance on game between the two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois