.505 Gibbs Loads

massad

AH member
Reaction score
Sirs,
Have picked up a nice Montana Rifle Company .505 and am quite pleased thus far...I have fired Corbon and Norma rounds through it and was wondering what information...Pet Loads the forum suggests for 1) plinking light loads..getting familiar with the long action and 2) hunting loads for ele and buff...Any suggestions are much appreciated...Thank you in advance...Mike in NY

.505 Loads

I've had a light primer strike out of 5 fired thus far. No problems with Cor-Bon 525 grain loads so far. Have some handloads with Hawk bullets out of NJ...Waiting for a break in the upstate NY weather to get out there and burn some powder!!

Mike

Big fan of Trail Boss loads go to the IMR web site for info
Been loading 458 Lott loads with 350gr Hornady rn LOTTS of fun

.505 Loads

I've had a light primer strike out of 5 fired thus far. No problems with Cor-Bon 525 grain loads so far. Have some handloads with Hawk bullets out of NJ...Waiting for a break in the upstate NY weather to get out there and burn some powder!!

Mike

Hmmm, not good....
.505 Loads

Mike

Light primer strike? In a DG rifle, this is very much not good. I'd recommend a new main spring (firing pin spring...sorry, my double and falling block rifle history coming through).

Have South Carolina Win mod 70 that I re-chambered to a 400H&H, after a couple of hundred rounds I started to get light primer strikes. The factory firing spring of 24lbs was replaced with a 30lbs spring, problem solved. The primers now come out of the barrel ahead of the bullet.

Sirs,
Have picked up a nice Montana Rifle Company .505 and am quite pleased thus far...I have fired Corbon and Norma rounds through it and was wondering what information...Pet Loads the forum suggests for 1) plinking light loads..getting familiar with the long action and 2) hunting loads for ele and buff...Any suggestions are much appreciated...Thank you in advance...Mike in NY

Mike, how are you getting along with the 505, now that you've had it a while longer? Also, do you still need some help with load data?

Had the same issue amongst others with a brand new Rem XCR II in 375 H&H. Had my gunsmith (Kevin Weaver) on his advice install a heavier firing pin and spring, never happened again. No one wants to hear "click" when something big with claws and teeth turns and looks at you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois