.505 Gibbs Loads

massad

AH member
Reaction score
Sirs,
Have picked up a nice Montana Rifle Company .505 and am quite pleased thus far...I have fired Corbon and Norma rounds through it and was wondering what information...Pet Loads the forum suggests for 1) plinking light loads..getting familiar with the long action and 2) hunting loads for ele and buff...Any suggestions are much appreciated...Thank you in advance...Mike in NY

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england

massad

AH member
Reaction score
.505 Loads

I've had a light primer strike out of 5 fired thus far. No problems with Cor-Bon 525 grain loads so far. Have some handloads with Hawk bullets out of NJ...Waiting for a break in the upstate NY weather to get out there and burn some powder!!

Mike

zephyr

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Big fan of Trail Boss loads go to the IMR web site for info
Been loading 458 Lott loads with 350gr Hornady rn LOTTS of fun

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
.505 Loads

I've had a light primer strike out of 5 fired thus far. No problems with Cor-Bon 525 grain loads so far. Have some handloads with Hawk bullets out of NJ...Waiting for a break in the upstate NY weather to get out there and burn some powder!!

Mike

Hmmm, not good....
.505 Loads

Mike

Light primer strike? In a DG rifle, this is very much not good. I'd recommend a new main spring (firing pin spring...sorry, my double and falling block rifle history coming through).

zephyr

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Have South Carolina Win mod 70 that I re-chambered to a 400H&H, after a couple of hundred rounds I started to get light primer strikes. The factory firing spring of 24lbs was replaced with a 30lbs spring, problem solved. The primers now come out of the barrel ahead of the bullet.

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Sirs,
Have picked up a nice Montana Rifle Company .505 and am quite pleased thus far...I have fired Corbon and Norma rounds through it and was wondering what information...Pet Loads the forum suggests for 1) plinking light loads..getting familiar with the long action and 2) hunting loads for ele and buff...Any suggestions are much appreciated...Thank you in advance...Mike in NY

Mike, how are you getting along with the 505, now that you've had it a while longer? Also, do you still need some help with load data?

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Had the same issue amongst others with a brand new Rem XCR II in 375 H&H. Had my gunsmith (Kevin Weaver) on his advice install a heavier firing pin and spring, never happened again. No one wants to hear "click" when something big with claws and teeth turns and looks at you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaSilva

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?