500 Jeffery Club

This was my Custom Winchester 70 (Grizzinator) A all Stainless that I had custom built for a Alaskan Brown Bear Hunt..
Laminated Stock...16" Barrel with custom Quarter rib and banded front sight..Control feed...Matching Leupold 1-5 with QD rings..6.5 pds plus scope and about 36" oal!
I decided to take it to Africa with my 600 and 4 bore double...ended up taking 2 Buffalo with it and a month or so later to AK for a decent Brownie....Really was a sweet lil rig. View attachment 509298View attachment 509299View attachment 509301View attachment 509302View attachment 509303View attachment 509304View attachment 509305View attachment 509306
There was a Bijou Creek "as above" for sale here .. I wanted it dearly, It sold asap.
If you care to share the Specs on the Walnut, I'd love to hear.
Really nice, Thank You.

Yes Mike at Bijou Creek built it for me..and about 8 other big bores from 458 Lott to 600 Overkill...The stock was a factory Laminate I got off ebay and Mike made the changes I wanted on it...He is building a similar 600 for me now also 16" barrel

Yes Mike at Bijou Creek built it for me..and about 8 other big bores from 458 Lott to 600 Overkill...The stock was a factory Laminate I got off ebay and Mike made the changes I wanted on it...He is building a similar 600 for me now also 16" barrel
Thanks for confiding/sharing your photos .. Excellent Battery & would love to see more of his work.

I am a fan of the 500 Jeffery cartridge since the 1960s, but I prefer to call it, as far as I am concerned, 12,7x70 Schüler because of the caliber of my rifle that I had built in the nineties.

View attachment 503082

I have shot quite a few game with it, including several elephants, a game species for that this cartridge was developed, and not for anything else. I only shot one buffalo with it, but this cartridge is oversized for buffalo hunting, and therefore also for other wild species. You can certainly shoot a lot of other game than elephants with it, but who plans something like that should consider looking at a different caliber than trying to master the 500 Jeffery cartridge with reduced loads.

I allow myself this comment because I am constantly exposed to criticism regarding the use of the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum for hunting big game in Africa, a cartridge that is more suitable for hunting other game species in Africa than elephants as the cartridge 500 Jeffery.
May I ask who built this .. really nice.

Rifle built 1998 by Ritterbusch, retired in the meantime.

Scannen 15.jpeg

I think I'm about to wear that same bag.

Don’t let anyone talk you out of it.

I spent a lot of time on the range and in the field with that rifle and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

I replaced the recoil pad with a large 1” Decelerator and also added some more weight to it.

"MNR" will build a .500 'c a belly floor plate .. !

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 8.15.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 8.15.52 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 8.15.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 8.15.53 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 8.15.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 8.15.54 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
I don't, but my first question would be how much does it weigh. My second question would be who built it. Mine weighs 11 lbs without scope and recoil is "sporty".

I know I am in the wrong forum, and here's hoping Jerome won't whack me too hard; that said, I have a like new set of CH4 500J dies for $200 shipped. If you absolutely, positively must have a photo, PM me. OOohh - that sounds dirty!

PS - Includes shell holder/jp>

I have the brass, dies and some loaded ammo. I even have a nice low power 1-4 trijicon scope. But no rifle. I'm hearing mixed things about the Sako 85
I’ve been trying to find a sako 85 but in 308. It’s been tough since they are discontinued now. To my knowledge on speaking with a lot of others the only real issues were in 85’s that are chambered in 375 H&H. They seemed to have the most problems with the shells ejecting at such a sharp angle upwards possibly hitting the scope. If you don’t plan to put a scope on then defiantly no worries on them. If you do put a scope just make sure it doesn’t have dials that stick out crazy far. They are some very nice rifles and very reliable.

I know I am in the wrong forum, and here's hoping Jerome won't whack me too hard; that said, I have a like new set of CH4 500J dies for $200 shipped. If you absolutely, positively must have a photo, PM me. OOohh - that sounds dirty!

PS - Includes shell holder/jp>
I’m having to exercise some serious self control with your off. I’ve got the 500 Jeffery bug. I bet they’ll be gone quickly.

I should say I’ve got the big bore bug but for something more nostalgic than my Capstick.

Last edited:
I’m having to exercise some serious self control with your off. I’ve got the 500 Jeffery bug. I bet they’ll be gone quickly.

I should say I’ve got the big bore bug but for something more nostalgic than my Capstick.
I'll add to @JPmbogo 's offer. I have, I believe it is 220 pieces of shiny new 500 Jeffrey brass. I think its 220 Bertram and 19 new Norma. It is all listed in the classified. My hunt is closing in and I need some cash so let me know if you need brass for your 500 Jeff.

I'll add to @JPmbogo 's offer. I have, I believe it is 220 pieces of shiny new 500 Jeffrey brass. I think its 220 Bertram and 19 new Norma. It is all listed in the classified. My hunt is closing in and I need some cash so let me know if you need brass for your 500 Jeff.
I have visited your classified ad a few times lately. I appreciate the offer. I’ll have to kick it around for a bit. I’m leaning towards the Jeffery but I’m ultimately undecided on the cartridge at the moment. Plus I really need to get my Capstick back safe and sound (it’s getting freshened up) so I can sell it to add to my budget.

I don't, but my first question would be how much does it weigh. My second question would be who built it. Mine weighs 11 lbs without scope and recoil is "sporty".
Rhe chap was very on the ball with contact he even called me in the UK but I was driving. However since asking for more detailed pics and the location of the rifle (if it was close to a AH member and they didnt mind and all that) I may have someone look it over he has stopped contact!!

Almost seems to good to be true. As for Sako they are now busy supplying the Ukrainians. Looks like im back to the waiting game unless I go over budget
https://www.mnrcustom.com/product-page/500jeffery-byjack-haugh

I would then have to pay import tax etc unless I take time off and go over to pick it up

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 7.38.27 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 7.38.27 AM Large.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 7.38.29 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 7.38.29 AM Large.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 7.38.31 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 7.38.31 AM Large.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 34

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilliamcoUlt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you