.495 A Square

I did a search of the forum and found nothing about this cartridge. Does anyone have any insight? This came up during a reading of Terry Wieland's Dangerous Game Rifles. He paints it in a favorable light. I wonder if it would be a fun round to chamber in a No. 1 Ruger? Presumably you could load it slow enough to use lead bullets for plinking. Thanks for your time!
@Forrest Halley
Y'all have a 458 Lott whyfore you need bigger.
Ah that's right for squirrel.
That way when you miss one in a tree you can split half a chord of wood each time you pull the trigger.
Me thinks you is getting bored.
Bob
 
Thank you for your informative reply. I feel as though I have just been to the funeral of a great cartridge, however the frustration saved was appreciated.
@Forrest Halley
Seeing as that one is a no go mate just settle for a little
950JDJ
That should give you all the thrills you will ever need.
Bob
 
For those interested, in the past Bertram sold 460 Weatherby brass necked up to 50 cal that was head stamped 500 Weatherby. Not sure if he still makes it and doubt it was exported outside of Oz. The brass was sold locally mainly to shooters for use in Big Game Rifle Club shoots we have in Oz. It was an economical way of building a 50 cal for competition use.

The OP was asking about building a Ruger No.1 in 495 A2 - he could achieve a very similar result by chambering it in 50/90. The stock throat even allows a 570 gr Woodleigh to chamber easily. Brass and dies are inexpensive and easy to find. The only downside is you have to carefully file down the receiver to accommodate the enormous rim of the 50/90 case.
 
For those interested, in the past Bertram sold 460 Weatherby brass necked up to 50 cal that was head stamped 500 Weatherby. Not sure if he still makes it and doubt it was exported outside of Oz. The brass was sold locally mainly to shooters for use in Big Game Rifle Club shoots we have in Oz. It was an economical way of building a 50 cal for competition use.

The OP was asking about building a Ruger No.1 in 495 A2 - he could achieve a very similar result by chambering it in 50/90. The stock throat even allows a 570 gr Woodleigh to chamber easily. Brass and dies are inexpensive and easy to find. The only downside is you have to carefully file down the receiver to accommodate the enormous rim of the 50/90 case.
Desert Tech Munitions has Bertram 500 Weatherby brass in stock now.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,307
Messages
1,572,360
Members
169,537
Latest member
FaeDelano
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top