.495 A Square

Or watch the other guys punching their buttons in the booth taking the test at the same time...

Not that I would ever do that, but I heard a story once of a young Soldier that did...

They have dividers in the booth. Also after the first fail I was in all by myself for the next two. Three strike and your out. Then I applied for a waiver and found out 3 months later they’re not accepting waivers.
Also I tried to guess and the machine told me not to press the button while there was no tone.

@Wyatt Smith good luck to you.
Hope it works out for you, either way.

Sounds like you are really trying. If this is what God put on your heart, He will open the right doors.
Wyatt,
“Persistence is omnipotent “! Not my quote, but it’s true! I went through something similar when I was trying to start my LE career back in the seventies. I kept moving forward and eventually the pieces fell into place. Never give up and keep moving forward! Good luck!
CEH

Have acquired 212 pieces of properly headstamped brass, dies, chamber gauge, P17 action and stock blank. Fool's errand, here I come...

It is barreled, I have 500 pieces of brass. I am 1/2" from having the action inletted AFTER paying Wenig $300 to inlet a blank! I do not have a climate controlled shop, so that slows things down a great deal. Need to weld up the duck pond - have the plug. Plains game safari in 2021 kinda slowed things down a great deal. About to get back int to he saddle on it though, as the weather warms.

This is the route I went. Was able to get a nice stock from CZ (when you still could) and a 416 Rigby action, Wiesner drop floorplate (holds 3 down comfortably), express and NECG peep sight. Rifle weighs 10.6lbs. I should note we used two 0.3125"x6" tungsten rods to add 0.57lbs in the butt. It shoulders good.
Gunsmith did not like cutting the rod and more so, drilling those long holes:( But it beats lead.

495top.jpg

495right.jpg

495 left.jpg

Dave Manson reamer drawing.
Almost did one once, did 500 A2 instead.
495 A2 is A-OK.
Art Alphin at his best.

That is the reamer my rifle is chamber. Manson and crew are the best...
Mr. Crank,
perhaps you can shed a light. My Jamison brass neck wall thickness is11/1000. But the 495 drawing indicates Art was thinking 16/1000! (not sure why as the 500aa and 470 capstick indicated 12 and 11 thousands respectively!) Wondering if the drawing was misprint and should be 532 neck? OR was Jamison cheaping on his last legs and thinned the brass...Sumbuddy know:)

495aa.jpg

500aa.jpg

That is the reamer my rifle is chamber. Manson and crew are the best...
Mr. Crank,
perhaps you can shed a light. My Jamison brass neck wall thickness is11/1000. But the 495 drawing indicates Art was thinking 16/1000! (not sure why as the 500aa and 470 capstick indicated 12 and 11 thousands respectively!) Wondering if the drawing was misprint and should be 532 neck? OR was Jamison cheaping on his last legs and thinned the brass...Sumbuddy know:)

View attachment 592087

View attachment 592088

I think the original chamber reamer was done with the idea of shortened 460 WBYMag brass,
so might have gotten into thicker brass at neck when it was properly formed.
I see no problem with that if Jamison made the neck more usual in wall thickness for the purpose-built, properly head-stamped stuff.
0.011" is same neck wall thickness at case mouth as my StarLine .50-90-2.5" brass, fine stuff.
I make my .500 A2 brass from .460 WBYMag. and it has about same 0.011".

I think the original chamber reamer was done with the idea of shortened 460 WBYMag brass,
so might have gotten into thicker brass at neck when it was properly formed.
I see no problem with that if Jamison made the neck more usual in wall thickness for the purpose-built, properly head-stamped stuff.
0.011" is same neck wall thickness at case mouth as my StarLine .50-90-2.5" brass, fine stuff.
I make my .500 A2 brass from .460 WBYMag. and it has about same 0.011".
Thank much for the insights!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg