.458 Win Mag chronograph results

The 458 win mag also suffered from the poor quality bullets that they were loaded with in the early days. Go read @Major Khan stories and you can hear first hand experience from a PH in India in the 60s. The 458 win mag is better today than it ever has been, meaning it was worse in the past.
I love the .264 Win Mag, but it suffered a similar fate back then. Light bullets would break apart, causing splash wounds. I hope to eventually change the barrel out on my .264 for a 26" 1:8 version.

The 458 win mag also suffered from the poor quality bullets that they were loaded with in the early days. Go read @Major Khan stories and you can hear first hand experience from a PH in India in the 60s. The 458 win mag is better today than it ever has been, meaning it was worse in the past.
You notice that they all seem to have disappeared lately? Khan, Rahman, and the Professor...

You've got one of them turdy-phive caliber guns...doncha? Deflecting the heat off the hotrodders down there with these tales of historical woes. Winchester 510 grain whitetail and rabbit loads. Some terrible bullets indeed. It seems historically most of hunting African game is making the most of a shoddy bullet situation. Let me stand here and shoot at this thing that could eat or stomp a mud hole in me with this iffy bullet.

I think Jack Lott messed up his shot on the Buffalo that nailed him, didn't he? Pretty sure I read that.

I have both the Winchester and the Lott. I pushed the Lott faster than the Win, but I am sure either would do fine .

I think a frames in my 375 H&H would do fine as well, but it is just too much fun to play with the bigger hammers.

I think Jack Lott messed up his shot on the Buffalo that nailed him, didn't he? Pretty sure I read that.

I have both the Winchester and the Lott. I pushed the Lott faster than the Win, but I am sure either would do fine .

I think a frames in my 375 H&H would do fine as well, but it is just too much fun to play with the bigger hammers.
It is a lot of fun to play with a bigger hammer. The only problem bus that you can't seem to swing it as often as you'd like.
I gathered that the shot failed to stop the charging buffalo and that he messed up the shot. I suppose it depends on which side of the coin you are looking... favorable or unfavorable.

Yep he messed the shot up and in earlier versions he never blamed the .458 - just his poor shooting. In fact it was his .458 in the hands of his PH that finally killed the animal after several shots from it and his PH's .375 failed to.
Lott's story only started to change when he was pushing the .458Lott...

I personally prefer the .458WM over the Lott which is why I use the standard .458 and why I've owned 5 of them.
If I'm really honest, I don't actually like the .458 Lott but I know of people that don't like the .458WM so to each their own...
I do know that with my loads in my rifle, I wouldn't feel under-gunned hunting any game, anywhere in the world.
Russ

Yep he messed the shot up and in earlier versions he never blamed the .458 - just his poor shooting. In fact it was his .458 in the hands of his PH that finally killed the animal after several shots from it and his PH's .375 failed to.

I personally prefer the .458WM over the Lott which is why I use the standard .458 and why I've owned 5 of them.
If I'm really honest, I don't actually like the .458 Lott but I know of people that don't like the .458WM so to each their own...
I do know that with my loads in my rifle, I wouldn't feel under-gunned hunting any game, anywhere in the world.
Russ
If I'm being honest, I want a .416 Ruger to go with my .375. I also want to build a 9.3 Ruger and .458 Ruger. I would say hardly anyone here, operates on "need" lol

There was a member here that built a .458 Ruger, but he isn't around any longer. I tried contacting him. I believe he stated it ran 50 fps behind the Lott, which makes sense. The .375 Ruger runs with the .375 Weatherby, the .300 PRC runs with the .300 Wby, the .416 Ruger with the .416 Rem.
Here is his picture.

Screenshot_20210925-004741_Samsung Internet_copy_807x1015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Russ
Well if only he'd said "I was just looking for a bit more power..."

I prefer the Lott because I can also shoot the WM. I think I may well load the practice loads in WM brass because I have this finicky bullet that sticks in the throat of the Lott.

Pity only Ausies can get hold of and use the magical powder that resirects this marginal caliber.....for the rest keep grabbing at straws.....

Nothing magical about the powders in Australia - and in fact the best powders for the .458WM such as AA2230 aren't even available in Australia...

So there's that...

Boy there’s nothing like a 458 win mag thread to raise blood pressure’s.
I will agree with @IvW the Lott is less picky about the powders that reach 2100.
If I were heading to a far away land with a 458 for big game, it would be the Lott. It’s just more versatile.

I just re-checked the opening post and just like I remembered, the point of it was to show chronograph results for some hand-loads that I worked up for the .458

I posted these results because I thought some people - especially .458WM owners might find them informative or useful.

But as usual, the .458Lott is inevitably brought up.
I didn't recall mentioning the Lott or comparing it to the Lott - or any other cartridge in the OP, and a quick check proved me right.

And of course, a thread that was originally intended to inform just has to be flooded with unhelpful, unwanted negative talk.
Why?
Why do people feel they just have to piss all over a thread and try to ruin it just because they don't like the cartridge that’s being discussed?
I mean, wouldn't it just be easier to just keep your mouth shut and not say anything?
Or start a separate thread if they feel that strongly about it so the original thread isn’t polluted with garbage…
But no, lets just piss all over an existing thread. A thread that was meant to be informative and not offensive or controversial in the slightest.

Maybe I'm just too polite.
Maybe what I should do from now on is flood every single thread that I see about the .458Lott, with my personal opinions on why I hate it.
Then I'll go on and on with my load data and how close it is to the Lott in performance and then I’ll get all wound up and state all the reasons the Lott is not needed now.
And anyone who disagrees with me is wrong, uneducated and an idiot.

I mean, that’s fair isn’t it?

Hey guys,

This is for all you .458 Win Mag fans out there!

The last few days I've finally got around to doing something I've wanted to do in the .458 for a long time... load up some Woodleigh Hydro's.

I contacted NT Firearms Gove and got hold of some Hydro's in 450gn.

Here's what they look like...

View attachment 423810

I then loaded up a few (in some cruddy looking brass! ) with a healthy dose of Benchmark 2 powder and they looked like this...

View attachment 423811

Then today saw me at the range to put a couple over the chronograph.
I was after around 2200fps.
After 3 shots, here's what I got...

View attachment 423808View attachment 423809View attachment 423812

This is 100fps faster than what I was expecting and seemed to be very consistent.
It also punched out a lazy 5370ft/lbs.
Bolt lift was normal, fired primers looked great and the cases just fell out of the chamber.

Haven't used them on game yet so hope to try them on a big Sambar stag in the next couple of weeks.
I don't reckon they'll bounce off!
As soon as I've tried them on game I'll post the results...(y)

Cheers,

Russ
What’s the purpose of the green tips on the Hydros? Smoother feeding?

What’s the purpose of the green tips on the Hydros? Smoother feeding?

Yeah mate, that’s the reason for the tips - smooth feeding

Apparently without the tips they can be very finicky.

I’m heading out on Wednesday to do some more chronograph work with the .458, and what I’ll do is pry one of the green tips off and see how it feeds in my Zastava.
It feeds like glass with the tips so it’ll be interesting to see how they go without them…
I’ll report how l go

Russ

Yeah mate, that’s the reason for the tips - smooth feeding

Apparently without the tips they can be very finicky.

I’m heading out on Wednesday to do some more chronograph work with the .458, and what I’ll do is pry one of the green tips off and see how it feeds in my Zastava.
It feeds like glass with the tips so it’ll be interesting to see how they go without them…
I’ll report how l go

Russ
Hi Russ, I suspect you will have feeding problems without the tips but it will be interesting to see. How robust are those tips ? I mean if you drop them, do they crack ?

I just re-checked the opening post and just like I remembered, the point of it was to show chronograph results for some hand-loads that I worked up for the .458

I posted these results because I thought some people - especially .458WM owners might find them informative or useful.

I didn't recall mentioning the Lott or comparing it to the Lott - or any other cartridge in the OP, and a quick check proved me right.

And of course, a thread that was originally intended to inform just has to be flooded with unhelpful, unwanted negative talk.
Why?
Why do people feel they just have to piss all over a thread and try to ruin it just because they don't like the cartridge that’s being discussed?
I mean, wouldn't it just be easier to just keep your mouth shut and not say anything?
Or start a separate thread if they feel that strongly about it so the original thread isn’t polluted with garbage…
But no, lets just piss all over an existing thread. A thread that was meant to be informative and not offensive or controversial in the slightest.

Maybe what I should do from now on is flood every single thread that I see about the .458Lott, with my personal opinions on why I hate it.
Then I'll go on and on with my load data and how close it is to the Lott in performance and then I’ll get all wound up and state all the reasons the Lott is not needed now.

Take a deep breath Russ and remember opinion are like sphincters- every body has a few.

458 win mag does what it needs to- and as we have discussed, it can be loaded long and easily match the Lott. (except in the CZ 550 where the Lott can be loaded long ;)

Why?

Dude, I was just having a little fun. Your post is interesting and informative. But honestly, without stirring it up, it would have died at 4, maybe 5 replies and then went to the land of the lost threads.

Apparently you're new to forums, and especially this one. Ole @Bob Nelson 35Whelen is always one of the first to "rib" people a little because it's not a .358 lol Point is, it's all in good fun. The other stuff is not useless info. Now people have comparison info in your thread.

I'm sorry I hut ur feewings: -(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg