.458 Lott resizing...oddest thing I've ever seen!

shuter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.roboliveauthor.com
Media
Hunted
Oregon, Montana
So I got all jacked up to handload for my new .458 Lott for the first time. Using new Norma .458 Lott brass and new Redding .458 Lott dies, I lubed 20 cases and prepared to FL size them before trimming to 2.790". Ran the first case into the sizing die, encountered a little resistance, and pushed through it. Raised the press handle back up and pulled the case out of the shellholder. It looked a little funny...there was a "shoulder" that began about .500" down from the case mouth, and the inside diameter was sized down from .458 to .452"!

What the heck? I'm attaching pics of this case (on left), along with an unsized case. I'm calling Redding tomorrow, but...what the heck?! I guess I could load 250 grain .452" pistol bullets and drive 'em to like 4,000 fps., but that's not why I got a Lott!:)

IMG_2598.jpg
IMG_2599.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't loaded the 458 lott or any straight wall case before, before but the reduction in diameter sounds right. You need to reduce the internal diameter of the neck so that there is tension when you slide a .458" diameter projectile in.
I don't know why you are getting a bulge/shoulder part way down. Maybe not enough lube causing the case to stick slightly as you are pushing it up into the part of the die that is reducing the diameter of the case.

Yeah I would expect some narrowing at the neck that would be a consistent diameter which MAY also be less than the rest of the case. But I don't know, this seems strange.

Seems a bit excessive. Inside neck diameter should be about .456, about .002 neck tension... .006 is waaaay too much.
Is there another die with an expander ball for properly sizing and "belling" the case mouth?

Thanks for the replies, guys. So, IdaRam, yes, there is a third die to bell the mouth. I went ahead and loaded some rounds and when the bullet is seated, the case obviously expands back out. I suppose all is well; it's just been a long time since I loaded any straight-wall cases, and I don't recall seeing this with .45-70, etc. in the past.

Also, IdaRam, I think you're right: .006 seems like too much of a reduction. I will call Redding tomorrow and see what they say. The only other thing I've done is back the sizing die off a bit so that it only "necks down" the case the depth that the bullet extends into it. These loaded rounds have a small section that didn't expand back out below the bullet. Just looks a bit funny but shouldn't affect firing.

Live and learn, I guess...with $2 pieces of brass:)

I don't think there is anything wrong with the dies.

NEVER in my life of loading thousands of rounds have I resized or trimmed new brass (and yes, I load for a 458 Lott among other things). It's a waste of time. In addition, in most instances, you should never have to trim a straight walled case.

Hope you get the reloader set properly and get an answer.

NEVER in my life of loading thousands of rounds have I resized or trimmed new brass (and yes, I load for a 458 Lott among other things). It's a waste of time. .......

Seems strange, but it is amazing how much different each of the brass actually is and they are also never pristine when they come out of the packaging ( dinged, etc).

I have sized, trimmed and reamed the flash hole and cleaned every new brass I have ever set my hands on. (As was suggested by the manufacturer.) In my mind it makes certain they are all the same.

NEVER in my life of loading thousands of rounds have I resized or trimmed new brass (and yes, I load for a 458 Lott among other things). It's a waste of time. In addition, in most instances, you should never have to trim a straight walled case.
Dented case mouths to the point a bullet won't seat, for one reason. Squaring up case mouths and ensuring uniform lengths aren't bad ideas either. Doesn't take long and not that big a deal. Not like it's a .223 and I'll be shooting thousands of rounds of this ammo. Besides, I worry about case neck tension with an ID of .458". But, to each his own.

Hope you get the reloader set properly and get an answer.

Seems strange, but it is amazing how much different each of the brass actually is and they are also never pristine when they come out of the packaging ( dinged, etc).

I have sized, trimmed and reamed the flash hole and cleaned every new brass I have ever set my hands on. (As was suggested by the manufacturer.) In my mind it makes certain they are all the same.
Thanks, Brick. Totally agree on new brass prep.

So, per Scott at Redding, all is well. Despite my initial (over)reaction, I don't doubt it after loading the rounds last night. He said that degree of sizing down is necessary to create proper neck tension. The question is, will .006" or so of "working" the brass result in case life issues? We'll see, but I doubt it. I will have to measure the necks, before and after, of the next batch of bottleneck rounds that I size to see what the amount of reduction is, just out of curiosity. Anyway, thanks again for the comments.

Exhibit A as to "why bother to size/prep new brass?" (and again, this is Norma brass...the good stuff). The expander die MAY clean this up on it's own, but I doubt it. Again, especially for these thumpers where we won't be shooting a large number of rounds, I think it's worth the little time it takes to go through the process for new brass.
IMG_2602.jpg
IMG_2603.jpg

Exhibit A as to "why bother to size/prep new brass?" (and again, this is Norma brass...the good stuff). The expander die MAY clean this up on it's own, but I doubt it. Again, especially for these thumpers where we won't be shooting a large number of rounds, I think it's worth the little time it takes to go through the process for new brass. View attachment 42179 View attachment 42180

For the really "wounded" cases you could try using the "Belling Die" to see if that squares them up a bit if the expander ball doesn't. Picture almost looked like you were sizing it down to 404 Jeffery!

For the really "wounded" cases you could try using the "Belling Die" to see if that squares them up a bit if the expander ball doesn't. Picture almost looked like you were sizing it down to 404 Jeffery!
Thanks. I might try that. Maybe size, bell, and then size again before trimming a case like the one in pics 3 & 4. Only necked it down to .452-.453...not quite a .404 Jeff:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross