.458 Lott recoil is no joke

Biggest bore No.1 I have had is the .450/400 and shooting .404 Jeff type loads it would give me a recoil headache pretty quickly. As others have said, its the worst platform for heavy kickers. Still have a 9.3x74R and I can manage that but want nothing larger!

I have a Boddington African Series No. 1 in 450 NE. Without my alterations, it came in a 7 1/2 pounds in factory configuration. Why the folks at Ruger have never figured out that big guns require lots of weight to be comfortable to shoot, I don't know - also factory pads are worthless. But I digress. I added a mercury recoil plug in the buttstock which added a pound plus I fitted a Limbsaver pad. Both projects are easy in that the stock is already drilled 7/8 for the stock bolt and Limbsaver makes pad which is pretty much screw on if you aren't obsessed with perfect fit. The result is a very shootable rifle, albeit not for the faint of heart or physique. Probably not going to blow off a couple of boxes at a sitting, either.

I have found a Limbsaver makes a noticable difference up to .300wm.
Had a CZ550 in .458wm almost Lott it but sold for a .375H&H its all i need.
Sounds lke the light rifle is a big part of it.

Pic as requested:
IMG_20200824_220559.jpg

Thanks guys! I ordered Limbsaver AirTech and a Pachmayr Decelerator slip on recoil pads and will test them both out on it and see if one works better than the other. The Pachmayr looks more spongy, but we'll see.

Unfortunately I don't reload so I am limited to factory ammo. What would you recommend besides going down to 458 WM for lighter loads? In my 416 Rem I pretty exclusively use Hornady 400gr DGS, and Barnes Vor-TX Safari 400gr TSX.

Out of the Lott I have been shooting Hornady 500gr DGS. I believe Norma makes a 450gr solid that you can buy for the Lott?
Often there are licensed commercial reloading companies that produce quality reloads. They can make reloads to your specifications re type of powder and number of grains.

Pretty wood

I'm a big bore junkie and recently had my Ruger No. 1H Tropical re-bored from .458 Win Mag to .458 Lott. I took it out the other day and could only fire 3 rounds before I had to stop. The recoil on it is almost nightmarish. I've never had a gun kick like that before. It probably doesn't help that the butt pad on it is kind of stiff being that the gun was made in 2001 or so.

But it is a nightmarish rifle to shoot. I have a 416 Rem Mag Model 70 that I love to shoot and have put 40 rounds through it in a range session, and I've owned a .375 H&H and found that to be pretty easy to shoot. But the Lott just seems like it's on a whole 'nother level in terms of ferocity. It seriously makes my 416 Rem feel like kind of a sissy gun, and that gun/round is absolutely a beast in and of itself. But the Lott is just on a whole 'nother tier.

What's the best way to reduce the recoil on it? I'm thinking of a Limbsaver or Pachmayr Decelerator pad... something spongy. Don't really want to brake it since I may take it hunting out west for moose or grizzly at some point in the future, but if that's necessary I may have to. If I can't find anything to reduce the recoil I may just have to sell this ferocious monster.
I would put a new recoil pad on it and send the stock to Edwards Recoil Reducer and have them install one of their reducers. You will be amazed at what it can do without adding hardly any weight. I have probably 10 of them.
Philip

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the original .458 Winchester Magnum . Please use the following hand load formula :
Bullet - 475 grain South African PMP monolithic solid bulllet
Gunpowder- 60 grains of Somchem S325 + 10 grains of Somchem S265
Velocity - 2180 to 2200 feet per second ( depending upon barrel length . My .458 WM uses a 25 inch Douglas Premium barrel . From it , I got a chronographed velocity of 2196 feet per second . From a 23 inch barrel , you will get a chronographed velocity of 2183 feet per second ) .

Somchem gunpowders are South African . If you would like the formula with Australian gunpowder or American gunpowder , please let me know . I can also give you the formula with Continental European gunpowder , but I am afraid that I have not actually trialed that one .

By the way, how was the recoil of the .458 Win Mag? I am contemplating building some loads in that to see how they shoot. You have the unique experience of having shot both in the same rifle.
My rifle started as a win mag. I have shot 450 gr peregrine copper mono @ 2250 fps and 480 gr same @ 2143 fps win mag ammo + 500 gr cast lead @2000 fps. All pretty similar recoil. The 450 gr did seem a little sharper or maybe faster. Then Lott I am loading 515 gr &500 gr peregrine copper monos from 2000 fps up to 2350 fps. Subjective opinion is the win mag was the same as the Lott at similar velocities. I cant tell the difference between a 480 gr and 515 gr recoil at the same velocity. The 2350 fps/515 gr was noticeably heavier. I felt a little ache or sting from the recoil while the slower rounds are just a thumping shove. 12 rounds of the win mag at my PH shooting test left me with a purple/green bruise all over my shoulder pocket but the Lott (3 rounds) didn't leave a mark. I think practice helps your body adjust. Bottom line- lower velocity and lighter bullets reduce recoil. And I think velocity has more impact on felt recoil.

Took it out today with the Limbsaver AirTech pad on it. Happy to report that the recoil pad helped a TON. Pretty much feels like it cut the recoil almost in half. It felt much more like a 375 H&H with the pad on it. Very happy with it now and glad that I found something that mitigates the ferocity of the Lott.

Took it out today with the Limbsaver AirTech pad on it. Happy to report that the recoil pad helped a TON. Pretty much feels like it cut the recoil almost in half. It felt much more like a 375 H&H with the pad on it. Very happy with it now and glad that I found something that mitigates the ferocity of the Lott.
This post needs pictures! I am so glad to hear that someone on this forum is burning powder on the regular. I was beginning to grow tired of the gun oil smell from all the clean unfired guns.

Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad would be good. Another to look at would be adding some weight to the stock.

Exactly what. Put on mine!

Initially I was looking at a Ruger #1 for my first big bore rifle. They are beautiful. Many comments on the recoil due to the stock design convinced me to go with a CZ 550 which I've been very happy with. I hope you can tame yours.

I have been shooting my Lott in the CZ 550 a fair bit. Quite happy the rifle weighs a bit, recoil isn't that bad. I have a fairly heavy scope on it as well so that may help a bit.

Some people complain about the size of the cz , that it is too bulky and heavy. I have hunted with a CZ in 375 for almost 20 years , with no complaints, so moving to a CZ in the Lott was very easy.

I have a Boddington African Series No. 1 in 450 NE. Without my alterations, it came in a 7 1/2 pounds in factory configuration. Why the folks at Ruger have never figured out that big guns require lots of weight to be comfortable to shoot, I don't know - also factory pads are worthless. But I digress. I added a mercury recoil plug in the buttstock which added a pound plus I fitted a Limbsaver pad. Both projects are easy in that the stock is already drilled 7/8 for the stock bolt and Limbsaver makes pad which is pretty much screw on if you aren't obsessed with perfect fit. The result is a very shootable rifle, albeit not for the faint of heart or physique. Probably not going to blow off a couple of boxes at a sitting, either.
I was interested in this chambering when I first got started down this road. Buying a .375 H&H #1 was clearly the dumbest thing I have ever done as is was nothing but a gateway to other boomers. The .450 is a tough sell though as all the conversions are highly expensive and the boddington guns are expensive too. I'm not sure what was the thought with these guns. I think they found a guy to slap a name on it and then they cut manufacturing costs in the wake of it. The matte finish is not for me and I don't think the wood is all that nice on them for what's being asked. From the sound of your account they slapped a lightweight barrel on the thing and made it nearly unshootable out of the box. My Lott has an oil pipe for a barrel on it. What's with the avoidance of the Legendary Arms Works safety on this model? They should have bought or licensed the design buy now. Same with the Canjar triggers. Quit rebuffing the cottage industry improvements and start incorporating them.

The #1 has a proud lineage and this series did it no favors except maybe to get us a line for fixed express sights and not have to mill in a 16mm dovetail.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the original .458 Winchester Magnum . Please use the following hand load formula :
Bullet - 475 grain South African PMP monolithic solid bulllet
Gunpowder- 60 grains of Somchem S325 + 10 grains of Somchem S265
Velocity - 2180 to 2200 feet per second ( depending upon barrel length . My .458 WM uses a 25 inch Douglas Premium barrel . From it , I got a chronographed velocity of 2196 feet per second . From a 23 inch barrel , you will get a chronographed velocity of 2183 feet per second ) .

Somchem gunpowders are South African . If you would like the formula with Australian gunpowder or American gunpowder , please let me know . I can also give you the formula with Continental European gunpowder , but I am afraid that I have not actually trialed that one .

I would be very reluctant to use any of these recommendations, especially in a rifle case with limited capacity...providing loading date should not be allowed in my opinion...

Somchem S325 does not exist, never heard of it....
Somchem S265 is a Slow burning extruded propellant for magnum revolvers not rifles....

Making duplex loads is not a good idea.....

Somchem S321 is recommended by Somchem for monolithic bullets in the 458WM, nothing else....

I would be very reluctant to use any of these recommendations, especially in a rifle case with limited capacity...providing loading date should not be allowed in my opinion...

Somchem S325 does not exist, never heard of it....
Somchem S265 is a Slow burning extruded propellant for magnum revolvers not rifles....

Making duplex loads is not a good idea.....

Somchem S321 is recommended by Somchem for monolithic bullets in the 458WM, nothing else....
@IvW
That’s right . Somchem S325 does not exist . I meant to write S335 . The correct load data is as follows :

60 grains of Somchem S335 topped with 10 grains of Somchem S265 . Bullet is a 475 grain South African PMP monolithic solid bullet .

From the 25 inch Douglas Premium barrel of my .458 WM , the chronographed velocity was 2196 feet per second . And yes , I am willing to stand behind my claim . It is a duplex load ( ie two different gunpowders are used ) . But duplex loads have never bothered me . If you do not like duplex loads , then I can give you the load data in IMR 3031 gunpowder ( however I have only tried it with 500 grain Hornady bullets ) .

I have heard of Somchem S321 , but I have not used it yet .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg