Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
Is FA really worth the money?

I'd really like a Blackhawk Bisley, but that seems an awfully small grip for that kind of cartridge.

So...Redhawk or Raging Bull?

What are your thoughts?

Personal opinion I would go with a Redhawk. I have one in .44 mag and while the grips are smaller than I think that they should be they work with the pistol rolling in the hand under recoil.

I also like the FA if you are going to go with a SA. It is built like a tank.

My preference is definitely SA.

My buddy has a G40 and is giving me grief about a 5-shot revolver. Which is kinda funny. We aren't going to hunt the griz, and this is for a backup chest rig. But in a defensive encounter, I'm very much the better snap shooter with a rifle, any rifle. This is for the "OS there's a bear coming" when we go moose hunting. We're both 45-70 nuts, so I'll have my 7-shot GBL with me. If I can't do it with that, I suspect the revolver won't be a lot of help anyway.

The question you really need to ask yourself, with regard to recoil, is what kind of recoil would you rather experience. Single-action revolvers roll more when fired, whereas double-action revolvers have a bit more of a straight back kick.

I've owned 4 Freedom Arms revolvers in 454 Casull. They are far above a Ruger Blackhawk or Redhawk in every aspect. Very good fit and finish. Accurate beyond belief. I wish I hadn't sold the last one I had. It was a premier grade with an extra 45LC cylinder. But, it helped fund my first African Safari, so I guess I can't complain too much.

I've owned 4 Freedom Arms revolvers in 454 Casull. They are far above a Ruger Blackhawk or Redhawk in every aspect. Very good fit and finish. Accurate beyond belief. I wish I hadn't sold the last one I had. It was a premier grade with an extra 45LC cylinder. But, it helped fund my first African Safari, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Agreed. Short of shelling out money for a Linebaugh or Bowen custom revolver, nothing else comes close.

Regarding a Glock, no, you won't get off 15 shots. But, you might get off 2 or 3, as opposed to one from a .454 (which if not properly placed won't amount to a hill of beans).

Glock pistols have replaced all my revolvers these days. I have a model 21 that I've converted to 45 Super. It has a 6" Storm Lake Barrel, that is as accurate as any auto pistol I've shot. And a model 40 with a Burris Fastfire 3. This one is better for hunting in low light conditions.

The accuracy and quality of the FA is phenomenal. I don’t own one but have been in the company of several people who do and witnessed the accuracy. NOTE: All had scopes mounted. If a single action is your desire and have the cash, the FA is definitely worth it.
My .454 is a Raging Bull 6”. I only use the iron sights. I shoot 300gr Hornady XTP almost exclusively. Recoil is sharp and seems sharper than the scope sighted BFR in .475 Linebaugh.

My Freedom Arms revolver was a .475 Linebaugh (sold to fund a .600 NE falling block build that remains in progress). They line bore each chamber, one of the reasons for phenomenal accuracy. It's one hell of a lot of revolver for the money. Should've never sold mine but I'll have another, some day.

Curious - is the extra cylinder really necessary? I was under the impression that a 45 colt cartridge could be shot from a 454 cylinder.

It can but then you've got to be sure to keep the "throat" free of buildup and clean (and Freedom Arms, in my experience, cuts their chambers tight).

Curious - is the extra cylinder really necessary? I was under the impression that a 45 colt cartridge could be shot from a 454 cylinder.
Not altogether neccessary, but if you shoot a lot of 45LC in the 454 chamber, it will form a ring in the chamber that may make it difficult to chamber a 454 Cartridge, due to these guns having very tight tolerances in the chambers.

If you are from outside Africa, and you intend to take the handgun with you to Africa, then a revolver will be easier to get import approval. Semi-autos invite complications with African officialdom.If you simply intend to carry the gun as a back up in the US, then go for whatever is most natural to you. A full on bear charge isn't the best time to work out how to handle the gun.

If you intend to use the gun as a primary hunting weapon then .454 Casull is a well proven calibre with enough grunt to do the job. Personal experience only, but I would avoid Ruger like the plague. I've had two Ruger Super Redhawks in 454 Casull. Neither should have left the factory. Ruger quality control and dimensional tolerance is non-existent. Issues included a front sight on a 10degree angle, cylinder not square to the axis of the barrel and badly aligned, excessive flash gap, non-concentric forcing cone, barrel groove diameter 3 thou over spec, cylinder throats 4-5 thou over spec. I've seen numerous reports of other people encountering the same issues and sending the gun back to Ruger only to be told that everything is within Ruger's specifications and they won't fix or replace.

Freedom Arms are an order of magnitude better quality, but at a price. Note the FA doesn't have a transfer bar so needs to have an empty chamber under the hammer whilst being carried. However there is another option. Magnum Research BFR revolvers have a great reputation for quality and are at a reasonable price. Choice of Bisley or classic grip etc. Whilst I've never owned one myself, friends who do speak very highly of them. Likewise I've never heard or read of any complaints about their quality.

If one handloads, there is no reason for the extra cylinder.

Yes, the FA is worlds above a stock Ruger in terms of fit, finish, quality, function, etc. The Linebaugh conversions are in the same league as the FAs.

If you are from outside Africa, and you intend to take the handgun with you to Africa, then a revolver will be easier to get import approval. Semi-autos invite complications with African officialdom.If you simply intend to carry the gun as a back up in the US, then go for whatever is most natural to you. A full on bear charge isn't the best time to work out how to handle the gun.

If you intend to use the gun as a primary hunting weapon then .454 Casull is a well proven calibre with enough grunt to do the job. Personal experience only, but I would avoid Ruger like the plague. I've had two Ruger Super Redhawks in 454 Casull. Neither should have left the factory. Ruger quality control and dimensional tolerance is non-existent. Issues included a front sight on a 10degree angle, cylinder not square to the axis of the barrel and badly aligned, excessive flash gap, non-concentric forcing cone, barrel groove diameter 3 thou over spec, cylinder throats 4-5 thou over spec. I've seen numerous reports of other people encountering the same issues and sending the gun back to Ruger only to be told that everything is within Ruger's specifications and they won't fix or replace.

Freedom Arms are an order of magnitude better quality, but at a price. Note the FA doesn't have a transfer bar so needs to have an empty chamber under the hammer whilst being carried. However there is another option. Magnum Research BFR revolvers have a great reputation for quality and are at a reasonable price. Choice of Bisley or classic grip etc. Whilst I've never owned one myself, friends who do speak very highly of them. Likewise I've never heard or read of any complaints about their quality.

Good points, all the way around.

Hey Sgt Zim,
I will be gone this upcoming weekend hunting mountain lion in Montana but would be happy to meet you at Pearland Shooting Club the following weekend and let you shoot my FA 475 and a Super Redhawk 454, got plenty of 44’s you are welcome to try out also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg