454 Casull

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by sgt_zim, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Forrest Halley

Forrest Halley AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I agree about the volume of the .454 and thus the .460. Extremely hard to get along with noise wise. I am annoyed with the small primer. There is no difference to loading large pistol and large rifle. I have to change the priming system to load casulls. Everything else is the same on the lower half of the press for Long Colt and .460 so I just use those.
    I agree about the question that wasn't asked part. It was a let's find something else to fit in this big revolver cylinder...oh you can shoot two(four if you reload) other cartridges in it too? Yeah let's do that. Originally published loading was 52 grains of 296 under a 200 grain spitzer...the shockwave in broad daylight made the .500 look mild mannered. It has better projectile support now, but it is still a behemoth that needs a built in hanger for earmuffs.

2. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I carry my Glock 40 (w/Trijicon night sights) in the woods with 220gr hardcast, and often carry it for my concealed carry with 180gr Sig V-Crown HP in an Askins style holster. I like the six inch barrel and it stays concealed well even with just a hoodie or oversized shirt. I would eventually like to purchase a .454 Casull though. Never shot one. I have shot a Desert Eagle in .50AE. Fairly stiff recoil, but pretty awesome! I believe a revolver would be better though in DG country? Just my two centavos.

3. Forrest Halley

Forrest Halley AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    It's hard to beat a Glock in a handgun for the woods.
    • It's never too cold to touch barehanded. Try that with a stainless gun and feel it suck the strength out of your hands.
    • A coordination challenged monkey can operate it. Ever try to cock a single action revolver with cold tendons?
    • It holds twice as much on tap as a revolver. 16 vs. 5-6
    • You won't cry if you screw it up or lose it. $600 vs $1600
    • What little maintenance required to keep it running can be simply accomplished with minimal effort. Wipe down with a T shirt?
    • With a TLR-2 laser/light mounted you almost own the night. The light is awesome. The laser and the light is incredible because you don't have to align any sights and bring to conventional firing position.
    • It's lightweight and you can carry it easily and even sleep with it on your chest in a sleeping bag. Never underestimate the value of being able to shoot from inside the sleeping bag.
    Just some thoughts...

CoElkHunter likes this.

4. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Excellent points! Probably off thread here, but I own four of them and I feel they are one of the finest combat handguns ever produced and are great for carrying in the forest/woods for protection against black bears, mountain lions or more likely, some two legged psycho! I do want to purchase a Glock 29 10mm for concealed carry though. I don’t want to open up Pandora’s box here, but I’ve been having some hollow point bullet penetration doubts carrying my Glock 27 (short barrel) .40 and having to use it against a heavily clothed (in winter) attacker. Just have read some stuff about that recently? But, there’s always the old reliable head shot! I’m still thinking the Casull though for DG country?

5. edward

edward GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    safari club,nra,d.s.c.
    Hunted:
    south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
    i have 454casulls in 2 freedom arms,2 raging bulls,the bulls are pussy cats,freedom arms not much worst.both great guns,REALLY,FA"S NOT WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY,if you care about money,i dont.

6. larry4831

larry4831 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    I have a 454 in a Ruger super Blackhawk Bisley. They are nice revolvers.

edward likes this.

7. perttime

perttime AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Looks like the nicest Bisleys are Ruger's "distributor specials". Makes them even harder to get in countries where there's a small market for powerful revolvers.