.44 Mag Lever Action for Small Cats/ Antelope

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Good morning all!

Last night I was playing around with some ballistic calculations and I wanted the opinion of the Elders of Africa here. I'm trying to find a good rifle to take for small cats/ small antelope that won't break the bank, has easily accessible factory loads (since I do not reload and don't have the time to pick up the hobby) and shoots something big enough to kill, but slow enough not to blow something the size of a Serval or Greater Genet in half. The rifle would only be used for the small animals, nothing even the size of an Impala. Pretty much a specialized rifle just for the Tiny Ten and Small Cats, so it's usefulness on larger African Game, or game here in the states is not an issue. After looking at the numbers I think a .44 Mag in lever action might be just the right pill for the job, but I wanted your thoughts. The shots would be no greater than 100 yards at the max, the targets would, as I said, be no bigger than a large Caracal if I got lucky. I cannot use a .375, as I sold mine and don't really want to pick up another one. I also considered a lever action .357 but I wasn't sure if that would have enough "oomph" to kill cleanly at 100 yards, even for these small-bodied animals.

Thank you for your time and input!

I’d think .44 mag would work great for your intended purposes…

For that matter I think a lever gun in 357 mag or in 30-30 Winchester would also do everything you require…

Combination gun is ideal. 22/410, 22mag/410, 22 Hornet/whatever gauge at max 222 Rem/12ga....
I own a few combination guns and am in process of buying a 22lr/410 3"....
African wildcat, small spotted and large spotted genet are small, serval can be fragile.....
22 rimfires wont be legal for small antelope....

I would love a 22 Hornet/410 3" or 12ga but cannot find one.
I also love hunting night critters...

I doubt you will be taking shots past 50m...

HAVE TAKEN A GENET, SEVERAL HYRAX, CIVIT, PORCUPINE, AFRICAN WILD CAT, CARACAL, SERVAL, FOX WITH A 18" MARLIN 1894 SET UP WITH A LEOPOLD 2.5 SCOUT SCOPE AND LOADED WITH BUFFALOBORE 158GR J.H.C. ALL PASS THRU NO REAL DAMAGE TO HIDES.

Both the 44 mag and 357 mag in lever action will be suitable for what you want to hunt . I have taken big Impala rams with both and they are more than upto the task , you just need to ensure that you use the right ammunition for decent accuracy and performance .
I used 158 gr PMP soft nose hollow point ammo for the 357 mag and at 60m it punched a hole through both shoulders of a big Impala ram .
In 44 mag if you get close enough , not further than 100 yards but I would suggest less , this caliber can take bigger game .
Good luck with your endeavour to find a suitable lever action .

I appreciate your help everyone! It looked like it would work "per the book" but you never know for sure! Probably going to pick it up in a 20" Henry Big Boy. I don't like the flashy gold, but there aren't a lot of good new, or affordable used, options sadly.
Henry does offer blued steel versions

Also, don't discount a current production Winchester 1892, or even a late New Haven 94 Trapper that was offered in pistol cartridges. I have a 94 Trapper (16") in 45 Colt as well as a current production 1892 Short Rifle (20") in 45 Colt.

Here is the Trapper. Very handy little rifle.

IMG_20220326_152239084.jpg

Henry does offer blued steel versions

Also, don't discount a current production Winchester 1892, or even a late New Haven 94 Trapper that was offered in pistol cartridges. I have a 94 Trapper (16") in 45 Colt as well as a current production 1892 Short Rifle (20") in 45 Colt.

Here is the Trapper. Very handy little rifle.

I wasn't aware of those other two lever actions, thank you for the heads up!

Both the 44 mag and 357 mag in lever action will be suitable for what you want to hunt . I have taken big Impala rams with both and they are more than upto the task , you just need to ensure that you use the right ammunition for decent accuracy and performance .
I used 158 gr PMP soft nose hollow point ammo for the 357 mag and at 60m it punched a hole through both shoulders of a big Impala ram .
In 44 mag if you get close enough , not further than 100 yards but I would suggest less , this caliber can take bigger game .
Good luck with your endeavour to find a suitable lever action .

Thank you! It's great to hear from yourself, and others who have commented here, that this is an actual option! I was worried that I might have missed something obvious and this plan would go out of the window!

Several of the animals you listed are low light targets - or even by spotlight. You will need to scope it.

Skinner has some good options for scoping lever actions
Also if you end up going the Winchester route and are interested in red dots

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 8.59.12 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 8.59.12 AM Large.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 8.59.13 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 8.59.13 AM Large.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 8.59.15 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 8.59.15 AM Large.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 8.59.17 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 8.59.17 AM Large.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 8.59.37 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 8.59.37 AM Large.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 8.59.39 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 8.59.39 AM Large.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 8.59.41 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 8.59.41 AM Large.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 37
If your choice extends beyond lever actions, Ruger made a very handy bolt action 44 mag, the 77/44. Not currently available from Ruger but there should be plenty on the secondhand market. A friend used to use a suppressed version for pest animal control.

There is also the Ruger Model 96 lever action 44 mag, if you can find one

If your choice extends beyond lever actions, Ruger made a very handy bolt action 44 mag, the 77/44. Not currently available from Ruger but there should be plenty on the secondhand market. A friend used to use a suppressed version for pest animal control.
I thought hard about one of those that was at my LGS a year or two ago. Had $1000 on the tag.

I think everyone has their own experience but my opinion is this is not a good caliber. You will have hide damage. You are going to be sending a 200 gr or larger bullet through something very small. I have personally shot hogs with 44 mag Hornady XTP from a Ruger 10/99 carbine. It blew a baseball sized hole through the first behind the ear, hit the one behind in the same spot, and went right through that one. When the guide skinned/quartered the front one out there was a softball sized section of spine/flesh that was missing/jellied where the round went in. So in short, you are going to vaporize something like a steenbok. You'd be better off shooting it with a 308 midsection in my opinion.

A lot of people do not realize that most of the ballistic specs online are for rounds fired from a handgun. You put the same round through a rifled barrel it will gain anywhere from 10-25% more energy and velocity. That round will also still drop off at 100 yds. Maybe even a little sooner. I think it's just a bad choice all around. It excels as a "bush gun" or "rancher carbine." Hog hunting, defense against wolves and other predators from horseback/hiking in thick cover, etc. Not a 10 - 30 lb antelope.

If I were going to target the tiny 10, night species, and/or cats I'd almost certainly look for something like a .223 bolt action. Seems like people who rent guns are given something similar or even a 22.

EDIT: I should add I see no issue with that caliber taking an impala. As long as it's not at 100 yds or more it will do the job.

Last edited:
My experience has been the exact opposite as yours @HookMeUpII ...

A 300 gr 44 Mag shot from a carbine is traveling about 1625 FPS.. roughly 25% faster than it would be from a 6" revolver (roughly 1300 fps)..

That is WELL below most centerfire rifle velocities (62gr 223 @ 3100 fps for example)..

As a result, far more often than not, big, slow moving projectiles tend to cut holes that are roughly the same size going in and going out.. there is relatively little to no expansion (nor is there a lot needed in most situations)..

Whereas faster moving smaller projectiles tend to rapidly expand (especially true in many small bore calibers since most of the ammunition designed for those calibers is specifically designed to expand quickly or even intentionally fragment upon contact)... and are known to create considerable pelt damage..

You get very similar results with a 45-70 shooting "trapdoor" loads.. where a 45 caliber, 300 gr projectile gets pushed about 1550 FPS out of a rifle... I've probably popped a dozen pigs with 45-70 trapdoor loads.. using broadside shots the exit wounds are negligibly larger than the entrance wounds..

There is a reason LOTS of people (experienced hunters and PH's alike) recommend 375 H&H with solids for the tiny ten.. you get the same hole coming out as you got going in..

If expansion is a concern with a 44 mag or a 357 mag out of a carbine (I wouldnt think it would be.. but.. if it is for some odd reason).. simply load up FMJ ammo... and youre going to have roughly the same sized hole on both sides (not nearly enough speed/energy.. or enough bone or body mass to deform those big, slow moving projectiles)..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northerngos

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.