Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
Gents as the title would suggest how many of you have hunted with he the above combo?? Im wondering what the terminal effects are like on a buff primarily. Part of me is thinking would an extra 50 grns make that much difference??

Thanks as always

NS

Have not hunted with a 450gr bullet, don't see the reason for it. A 400gr 40 caliber bullet north of 2000fps will do a fine job of killing a buffalo. Adding weight will either slow the bullet down or increase recoil and neither will increase the performance on the animal.

These days I use a 300gr Barnes TSX in my 416 RM (2700fps). Haven't shot a buffalo with that load, but I shot a blue wildebeest in the chest at around 50 yards. The bullet was recovered just under the skin by his tail (the only bullet I've ever recovered).

If you want a heavier bullet, get a bigger gun.

416 rigby does very well in standard form. If you send a 450 gr pill at the sane velocity, it does penetrate better. But at the cost of recoil. And over penetration can be an issue on buffalo. At the same time, a lower velocity but higher weight bullet has an advantage in reliabilty while still penetrating well. It also reduces felt recoil (to me anyway). So that is where i like to be, heavier bullet at slower velocity for same penetration but higher reliability and lower felt recoil.

I use heavy for calibre solids because, in the event of an elephant charge, i want the biggest longest hole through that ellie that i can manage. So solids i go bigger without reservation.

People often say a 450 gr bullet turns a 416 into a 458. But i havent seen that effect on animals, a hole in the vitals = animal down. Bigger calibre hole in the vitals= quicker down.

Buffalo follow up last month- i saw no difference between 375 softs,solids and 458 lott solids on non vital hits. The buff soaked up maybe 10 hits- we didnt count.

My thoughts are that a 450 gr is a better choice if you lower velocity and that allows you better reliability in expansion and accuracy with lower felt recoil. But 416 rigby has more than eniugh penetration in 400 gr so you are kinda wasting your time.

On my .416 I use a max of 410gr solid, that's more than sufficient, and its my day to day work horse. I find it to be the easy medium for me.

Not so! 500 Jeffery rules! Disclaimer, I've never hunted Africa lol

a2jCqRV.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have not hunted with a 450gr bullet, don't see the reason for it. A 400gr 40 caliber bullet north of 2000fps will do a fine job of killing a buffalo. Adding weight will either slow the bullet down or increase recoil and neither will increase the performance on the animal.

These days I use a 300gr Barnes TSX in my 416 RM (2700fps). Haven't shot a buffalo with that load, but I shot a blue wildebeest in the chest at around 50 yards. The bullet was recovered just under the skin by his tail (the only bullet I've ever recovered).

If you want a heavier bullet, get a bigger gun.

I have also used the 300 TSX a lot in both my 416’s except only on whitetail. Always was curious if they might would work on buff, 350 gr prolly lowest I would go on a Buffalo. I would really like to know if anyone on here has used the 300 TSX on buffalo though.

I use my 416 Rigby on all DG hunts, I can't see why you would want to go to 450gr if the 400gr works prefectly.

I use my 416 Rigby on all DG hunts, I can't see why you would want to go to 450gr if the 400gr works prefectly.
Bossie have you used the 450grn though?? Good to know you use a 416 Rigby as your own personal rifle. Does it turn out lights like a switch (providing one puts the bullet where it needs to go)?

SD is what made old classic calibers work and is the only saving grace for the 458 WM.
It is well known that a bullet with a SD of over .30 is what is recommended and what has always worked on DG. When you get to .330 and slightly over is when bullets really start to perform on especialy African DG. Going too high could cause other issues again.
Pick your caliber and use a bullet as close to .330 SD you can find. Obviously of premium quality design. 410gr .416 is already there.....

SD is what made old classic calibers work and is the only saving grace for the 458 WM.
It is well known that a bullet with a SD of over .30 is what is recommended and what has always worked on DG. When you get to .330 and slightly over is when bullets really start to perform on especialy African DG. Going too high could cause other issues again.
Pick your caliber and use a bullet as close to .330 SD you can find. Obviously of premium quality design. 410gr .416 is already there.....
Got ya so .330 is the magic number. I suppose to high and your going to get over penetration (that always makes me laugh (not that it happen just how it sounds)).

@norfolk shooter Shoot something and tell us how they work. I've got 150 of them, and have not even loaded them yet.....................FWB

@ norfolk shooter I used a 450gr Bullet once, can't even remember what they were. It was given to me by a client many years ago.

I reload all my bullets and I only use the Peregrine 400gr VRG3 expandable. I have had clients shoot Buffalo, Hippo and Rhino with both my 375 and 416 with these bullets and they are great. We hunted a Rhino last week and it was killed with 1 shot from the 375. It's very much like the Barnes just 110% better.

The 416 with a well placed shot is like a switch, I have killed several Buffalo with only one shot, provided the bullet finds it's mark.

Got ya so .330 is the magic number. I suppose to high and your going to get over penetration (that always makes me laugh (not that it happen just how it sounds)).
You may also get under expansion, destabilization etc. Bullet design also plays a roll so same weight woodie vs a rhino will be shorter.
For me 300gr 9.3, 340gr 375H&H, 410gr 416 Rugby, 420gr 404Jeff, 570 or 600gr 500 Jeff at as close as possible to 2300 fps in the right bullet are deadly on dg. Far more reliable than the light weight low sd high velocity brigade.....
But that is just my old school in field experience.....

@norfolk shooter Shoot something and tell us how they work. I've got 150 of them, and have not even loaded them yet.....................FWB
I dont even have the rifle yet. Im just looking at pros and cons etc. In the UK its a pain to move things on and an even bigger pain due to licensing to get things

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyRav

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.