Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Happy New Year Nicholas Barcom,

One more vote for the Rigby.

I found it impossible to consider any other .416 than the Rigby version after reading "Hunter" by J.A. Hunter (he swore by it for shooting problem lions) and as well as after reading Dr. Kevin "Doctari" Robertson's excellent book, "Africa's Most Dangerous", in particular the chapter on selecting the right cartridge for buffalo.

Mine is a CZ 550 that I had modified by a proper Gunsmith to my requests (extra cross pins, glass bedding to resist recoil, barrel trimmed to about 23 inches (I think it's 23.6 actually), Model 70 safety, larger bolt handle welded on, custom made front sight to resemble the old British style, with flip-up large white bead, etc., etc., etc., and blah, blah, blah.

Mine feeds like a hog, as do all of my several other CZ 550's, from the time I bought them, except the one in .500 Jeffery that I have ranted about earlier in this forum several times (my favorite Gunsmith repaired it by milling the follower a bit and hand filing the rails carefully, now it is slick like the other CZs I own.

Admittedly I do not load it to the gills but, even when loaded down to match the good old Pre-War .404 ballistics, my .416 is plenty powerful enough for anything on earth and a joy to own/carry/shoot.

However, if I ever decide to load it to the standard 410 gr bullet @ 2350 fps, (if I was not such a wimp) I can do that, still with very low pressure.

I personally would not worry about the cost of brass very much, because once you have it, you will probably have it a long time (the low pressure Rigby is not especially rough on multiple reloadings of the brass, except that the shoulder can crumple if one is not especially careful).

If you can afford to hunt Africa even one time in your life, you really can afford 40 rounds of Hornady brand .416 Rigby brass.

Cheers,
Velo Dog

Nicholas Barcomb

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, North American Hunting Club, BASS, North American Fishing Club
Hunted
Canada and USA
So true Hank! I wanted the 404 Jeffrey badly, but couldn't even begin to look at truly affordable rifles, not even piece together one for the cost of a factory rifle in 416 Rigby. Possibly at a later date the Jeffrey will come to fruition, but not currently.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
in defense of the 416 Rem Mag, it actually operates at a fairly low pressure if you keep it at standard velocity. a 400gr bullet at 2300fps is not even close to max pressure for the 416 RM. like the Rigby you can load a 416 RM up to 2500fps pretty easily with a 400gr bullet. the Rigby is larger and can take it further as ive heard them loaded up to 2600+ fps but if your goal is simply 2300fps then both the Rigby and the Rem Mag sit on relatively equal terms.

the main difference between the Rigby and the Remington Magnum is style and history. the Rigby is well... a Rigby, the name alone is synonymous with hunting in Africa. the Rigby is also an older cartridge with a long storied history of successful hunts in Africa. the Rem Mag is a relative new comer to the game and while it performs well it lacks that history the Rigby has.

-matt
Love the second para: the Rigby is a Rigby, my belief completely. Same belief for a .375 H&H and the 30-06.

Nicholas Barcomb

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, North American Hunting Club, BASS, North American Fishing Club
Hunted
Canada and USA
In a few days I will be receiving 70 pieces of 416 Rigby brass to clean, size, and trim for loading. Thought I was going to get the Eurostocked CZ, but might actually be going for the Kevlar version now. Worse than a woman in a shoe store!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hugues

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J