404J Options/recommendations

TucsonFX4

AH fanatic
Reaction score
This isn’t likely something I will be biting on soon, but I have an interest in eventually adding a 404 Jeffery to my collection. It seems, in my novice experience, that about the only options are converting a rifle or buying/building a custom or premium rifle in the caliber.

For an average fellow like me that can’t justify $10k+ on a rifle, what options should I like at to become a 404J owner? Preferably, rifle budget of about $3k to likely max of $4k. Possible?

I am a fan of the Win Model 70’s, and consider them to be guns I will pass down to my son one day. I would like a 404J rifle of similar usefulness, dependability, and quality.

Thanks!

Really, really depends on what you want.

I am having a Winchester 70 that was chambered in .300 RUM built To 404 Jeffery. I am having a custom stock to my dimensions, drop bottom metal for additional magazine capacity, my choice of sights, and quarter rib. Several months into the project. Other than visiting to pick out a stock blank back In March, no idea when it will be done. Don’t know what cost will end up for sure. It will most likely exceed your upper budget. It won’t be a $10 K rifle, but will hopefully be what I want.

If you use the factory stock, I can see it done in your budget.

There is a CZ 550 404 on Gunbroker. It was over $3,000 last I looked with time to go. It is stock.

Do some research on what you want. Look hard at who you want to build it.
That is part of the fun!

On edit, with everything hard to get, assuming you hand load, I would recommend starting to pick up reloading components if you can find them.
I am still looking for brass.

Best of luck with your build.

Last edited:
I used a brand new CZ 550 375 H&H as a donor rifle. Sent it to Randy Selby for the conversion. I have a little under $2K in the rifle all in. Shot an elephant with it a month ago and it performed flawlessly.,

I just finished having a Jeff built on a Winchester M70 donor 375HH cal

I had mine built on a Sako AV (thats a mid-80's model) in 6.5x55 (about $700). Found a used Lothar Walther barrel which already had nice stuff like a rear sight, banded sling swivel and front sight, with very nice blueing (another $700?). A smith switched the barrel and did little bit of metalwork on the magazine box and the feeding (another $800-ish). Had a new stock done (which is of course totally optional). About $1800 for that.

So it can be done rather cheaply - if you're lucky to find the parts you need..

I would also recommend the CZ 550. You can still find them from time to time at the under 2k mark, but they don't last long at the price. The CZ also makes for a great base to build from down the line if you want to customize it and make it our own. I have an AHR CZ 550 and could not be happier with it.

Find a Winchester Model 70 in a RUM caliber, order a 404J barrel and send it to Dennis Olson in Montana.

Thanks for all the suggestions. If starting with a donor rifle (whether it be cz550 or M70), is there a better starting cartridge such as 375h&h, 300RUM, etc?

It seems I’ve read of some concerns about sufficient metal on bolt face/extractor, magazine box and rails, etc.

To Dennis Olson

819E8484-A34F-4663-A98E-10EC881B4B34.png

E59F626D-CF27-4DBF-A8B4-4363D30497BA.png

From Dennis Olson

5BA8E97B-DFB3-4C25-B890-652DB4F637B8.png

11A26513-9609-4E7C-A66C-4E9C46384128.png

Dennis Olson converted my Win Model 70 375 to 404. Unless you want a new stock of fine wood it is very reasonable. A new barrel, metal work etc.

I have two 404 Jeffery caliber rifles. One a CZ 550 the other a converted Model 70. The Model 70 has the smoother action (work was done by Randy Selby) both shoot under an inch with Von Gruff's Accuracy Load.

Dennis Olson converted my Win Model 70 375 to 404. Unless you want a new stock of fine wood it is very reasonable. A new barrel, metal work etc.
Thanks for the info. There seem to be a good number of folks that have used him to convert a M70 to 404J. He will likely be on my short list.

This thread is worthless with out pics:unsure::love:

Or...get on in a 416 and use the funds to put an animal in the salt. They won't know if they were shot with a 416 or 404.

If it is a bucket list thing I get it, ammo is something else to take into consideration.

Or...get on in a 416 and use the funds to put an animal in the salt. They won't know if they were shot with a 416 or 404.
That's a lie...

Your .416 Remington-Magnum will bounce of the belly of a donkey----

----and the .404 Jeffrey is a dragon slayer!!!

HWL

That's a lie...

Your .416 Remington-Magnum will bounce of the belly of a donkey----

----and the .404 Jeffrey is a dragon slayer!!!

HWL
That's what I did wrong.

Reactions: HWL
Sauer 404 is available with a .404 J barrel. As it has interchangeable barrels, you could fill a few needs / wants with one rifle.

Get your hands on a second hand Cogswell & Harrison .404 Jeffery. They stopped being made in 1952. But last time I checked, they can be found floating around the secondhand market for not a lot of money (on account of those cheap aluminum alloy magazines).
C334B9BF-7A57-4404-960E-4E336FBEFB4E.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvividconsultant

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross