4 Stable Sticks Preliminary Review

@Inline6, I completely agree with you. They have certainly extended my range from a standing position compared to the older bipod or tripod sticks. I have yet to shoot anything over 200 yards in the field with them but on that 200 yard shot I was very steady. And if I get support for my right elbow from a tree or PH etc. I feel nearly as steady with these sticks as on the bench. My son has taken game in Africa using the Viper Flex (my PH had a pair and that's what made me get them) at around 400 yards (I know this is an unusually long shot for Africa but it was a big Nyala at near last light and we did not think we could get closer without spooking him)

Took my zebra just inside of 300 yards going up a hill on the move with them. That was the first time I was introduced to them, like @Tucketed my introduction was with @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS I carried my competition tripod setup. That is what I was going to use. It is more precise at the expense of speed. The Viper Flex give a good balance for hunting.

That's good shooting on your son's part, 400 yards it a good shot.

I have a set of the quad sticks made by 4 Lite. They are carbon fiber so they are really easy to carry all day. They also collapse down to 28" for storage in my luggage and easy travel. My only complaint is that the magnet that holds the legs together when stowed is too strong to open easily. I had to glue a piece of plastic over it to lighten it up.

I found them on eBay in the UK. Can't remember what I paid for them, but I want to say around $200 a few years ago.

The quads are better on level ground but I'm not ready to give up my BOG Adrenaline Tripod yet. Tripods are just so quick and easy to set up and work very well in nearly all terrain. Haven't made my mind up on which I prefer.

I did make one modification to the 4Stable Sticks. I bought a roll of DuckTape with a camo pattern (but anything subdued in colour would have worked) and covered as much as possible the metal parts with it. In fact if you cut a piece of the DuckTape, and place it lenght wise on the aluminium rods, you can just cover all around.

Two reasons for this:
- Sound: when closing them up, the middle sections of aluminium sometimes hit each other with a quite metallic sound. It is "a bit" better with the tape. This was the original reason I had put it on.

- Insulation: when carrying the sticks in winter time in Belgium, without gloves, holding aluminium rods is just not very comfortable. (sure I could wear gloves, but this is never as handy as bare hands, for manipulating my rifle, bino's and the sticks.

V.
Recently saw in a shop that (after I had sent this suggestion to 4Stable Sticks as well) that they offer these sticks with some kind of tissue cover, as well as a thin leather cover. Oh well...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.