AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, KC SCI, NRA
Hunted
USA (Missouri, Iowa, Alabama, Virginia, Idaho), Cameroon, South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, Russia
$1,450 - Weatherby Mark V Deluxe .378 Mag, blued, nicely figured walnut stock, serial number H215xxx indicates 1991 build date. Minor surface scratches from use. Scratches in blue underneath barrel at very end. Overall nice condition. Scope, base and rings not included. $25 shipping to your FFL.

Wby 1.JPG
Wby 2.JPG
Wby 3.JPG
Wby 4.JPG
Wby 5.JPG
Wby 6.JPG
Wby 7.JPG

Good looking rifle.

Beautiful gun!!!

The stock looks very nice. I'm not sure about the 378 as I've never owned one but it should compare with a 300 win mag right?

No. The 378 is a horse. Muzzle energy up around the 470 NE level!

Weatherby's pack a punch and the .378 is essentially a necked down .460 Weatherby version. 300 win mag I would venture to say has half the muzzle energy.

Good question. I'm selling this for a good friend who has had this in his collection for a few years and has never shot it. He is 60+ yrs old and I explained to him the punch that my .378 has (which is also ported). I think I scared him a bit, so he is selling this one to purchase one in the same caliber with a muze brake.

He is very particular and only purchases quality rifles...this one is very clean but cannot attest to # of rounds. I can provide more detailed pictures for anyone that is interested.

Tecate.............nice looking rifle. My FWIW.....You may want to consider selling it with bases included. Can be difficult (damaging) to remove them as they are often loc-tite down on this large a gun. New bases not too expensive anyway.
I have a lot of experience with this cartridge..........two rifles, one in a Mk V and the other a Ruger #1. There are only a handful of other cartridges that even approach the level of energy that this thing will put on a distant target. Despite having a bore diameter of only .375, the 378 Wby is a true "stopper" round. There are two reasons that a 378 Wby is never "shot out" or worn out: One, loaded ammo or brass is very expensive. The second reason will be apparent to you after your first session at the bench.

Best of luck with the sale.............................FWB

a guy who often visits my local range has one of these rifles and throws 300gr .375" bullets at 3000fps! :eek:

thats 6000 fp/lb of muzzle energy for some serious long range knock down power. to put things in perspective, the 470 NE has 5100 ft/lb of muzzle energy and the 505 Gibbs has 5800 ft/lb of muzzle energy.

i have fired his rifle and can attest that the recoil is not for sissies but is still fairly managable. he uses the rifle to knock over elk at long ranges in the mountains of central WA.

best of luck selling your rifle friend, im sure someone is looking for a good rifle to knock big critters over at a distance.

-matt

I love the 378 they pack a punch very few rifles compare to it, I would not place it in the stopper range as one would ideally be looking for a 500gr projectile to fall in this range.

Can attest to the fact that they put a spell on cats and knock the black of Cape Buffalo.

My best always

Just for fun.........looking at my log.....as I have not shot this rifle since 1996.....and this rifle is also for sale BTW....................................my Ruger No. 1 custom with 27" bbl in .378 Wby: with 300grain Sierra spitzer boat tail, BC about .583, well over 100 grains of Dupont (now IMR) 4350. Velocity 3083fps, ME 6333. As for the "stopper" part of my prior post, I will defer to Jaco's knowledge..........I never stopped anything bigger than a spike elk with my 378's, but I think it would have handled something bigger..........................hope you sell it, and that they want a second one.................................FWB

I'm not sure why he would want to get one with a muzzle brake, this is already ported on the end?

I had A 378 Weatherby Magnum when I was about 30 years old. I shot the rifle quite a bit, as a matter of fact I put rounds through it every week, I never used any protection because I was young and tough and stupid. now I have severe arthritis and bone chips in my right shoulder which limits my activities very much, that caliber is one of the most ferocious you can get when it comes to recoil.

I had A 378 Weatherby Magnum when I was about 30 years old. I shot the rifle quite a bit, as a matter of fact I put rounds through it every week, I never used any protection because I was young and tough and stupid. now I have severe arthritis and bone chips in my right shoulder which limits my activities very much, that caliber is one of the most ferocious you can get when it comes to recoil.
;) I would hate to see all of us in 30 years then with fire arms ranging from 378 WBY, 460 WBY, 505 Gibbs, 585 Nyathi, 500 A Square and 550 magnum, I am sure we will bear the scars, but for now we are having our fun all un ported barrels...
Larry has this been directly linked to your 378 by Doctors, and was your rifle not ported?

My best always

;) I would hate to see all of us in 30 years then with fire arms ranging from 378 WBY, 460 WBY, 505 Gibbs, 585 Nyathi, 500 A Square and 550 magnum, I am sure we will bear the scars, but for now we are having our fun all un ported barrels...
Larry has this been directly linked to your 378 by Doctors, and was. yes it was diagnosed by doctors, and yes I had fun shooting it, but if I had to do it over again I would probably use a past recoil pad

Welcome to AH I know you'll enjoy it here!

I understand, in our line of work it's simply not practical to wear recoils pads and to be honest I don't feel the recoil that much (I have some natural padding......;) )I hope this gets better for you I really do

My best always

Larry has this been directly linked to your 378 by Doctors, and was your rifle not ported?

My best always
yes doctors told me that's probably what happened, and no it was not ported

Welcome to AH I know you'll enjoy it here!

I understand, in our line of work it's simply not practical to wear recoils pads and to be honest I don't feel the recoil that much (I have some natural padding......;) )I hope this gets better for you I really do

My best always
the arthritis started about 20 years ago and I'm 63 now and the doctor recommend surgery

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg