.378 Weatherby

If I was forced to own only one rifle, the 378 Weatherby would be high on the list. The effective range is over the top and it hits like a truck. I have owned and used Weatherby rifles for years and my only complaint is the stock design. It really slaps me in the face. Other than that, the 378 is a winner.

If I was forced to own only one rifle, the 378 Weatherby would be high on the list.

I agree. Although I like each of my Weatherby rifles (270/300/340/378/460) my 340 is one of my all-time favorites and most extensively used. But it would be a difficult choice between the 340 or 378 if forced to own just a single rifle (btw, no ear shattering brakes - hate 'em).

Hello Big 5, I shot a 340 Weatherby for years. It had a custom stock and was a pleasure to shoot. I HATE MUZZLE BRAKES. They will definitely be frowned upon by others in a hunting party. The one reason I would choose the 378, is that it meets the requirements for hunting DG in Africa.

westley476' - it's hard to disagree.

The reason I threw the 340 in the mix is because my days of hunting in Africa these days is mostly for plains game, which I very much enjoy. And, although I'm a 378 fan, my straight shooting and well worn 340 will knock down anything I choose to go after in Africa or here in North America.

Besides, for the really big stuff I've knocked down in Africa over the years I've used other more traditional time honored and bigger bore favorites of mine.

In any event, I agree that the 378 Wby is a tremendous cartridge and like you I also HATE BRAKES.

Good huntin' to you.

Last edited:
The 378 Weatherby is the one rifle I have owned (and I've owned up to the 460 Weatherby) which, to me, was simply too much of a good thing. Granted, I tended to shoot the beast from a bench, but it really was a downright wicked machine.

westley476' - it's hard to disagree.

The reason I threw the 340 in the mix is because my days of hunting in Africa these days is mostly for plains game, which I very much enjoy. And, although I'm a 378 fan, my straight shooting and well worn 340 will knock down anything I choose to go after in Africa or here in North America.

Besides, for the really big stuff I've knocked down in Africa over the years I've used other more traditional time honored and bigger bore favorites of mine.

In any event, I agree that the 378 Wby is a tremendous cartridge and like you I also HATE BRAKES.

Good huntin' to you.

For sure! The 340 is a great round and would knock down the big stuff as well. Also it is a lot nicer to shoot in regards to felt recoil. I had a H&H 465 Double rifle that was one of the kicking guns I ever had. It would hit like a rubber mallet up side your head. Another negative was if you happened to fire the left barrel first, it would touch off the right at the same time. What a pain in the ass. I spent 800.00 trying to get that nasty habit cured and was never successful. I put that bitch down the road, ASAP.

Cheers,

David

I had A 378 Weatherby Magnum when I was about 30 years old. I shot the rifle quite a bit, as a matter of fact I put rounds through it every week, I never used any protection because I was young and tough and stupid. now I have severe arthritis and bone chips in my right shoulder which limits my activities very much, that caliber is one of the most ferocious you can get when it comes to recoil.
truth

$1,450 - Weatherby Mark V Deluxe .378 Mag, blued, nicely figured walnut stock, serial number H215xxx indicates 1991 build date. Minor surface scratches from use. Scratches in blue underneath barrel at very end. Overall nice condition. Scope, base and rings not included. $25 shipping to your FFL.

View attachment 41770 View attachment 41771 View attachment 41772 View attachment 41773 View attachment 41774 View attachment 41775 View attachment 41776
Still foresale

The stock looks very nice. I'm not sure about the 378 as I've never owned one but it should compare with a 300 win mag right?
@CAustin
That's like saying the 30-30 should compare with the 300.
I had the pleasure and I use the term loosely to fire a 378 a few times. It really gets you attention, I would hate to have to bench it. It was nice to hand it bay to the owner and telling him its not bad. 3 shots did me. The recoil way heavy but it slapped the shoulder most viciously.

Nyati67--this thread is from 2015/2016, so don't hold your breath for a reply.

chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindia012

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg