375H&H Mag 300gr Nosler Partition...surpassed?

The Partition was a pioneer because it was the first to provide an "all of the above" answer to the question: do you want penetration (solid-like) or expansion (soft nose-like). Everything since then, from A Frame to expanding mono-metal slugs (e.g. Barnes) is providing its own variation of the same answer to the same question. I tend to not see a universal answer, but a buffet type of situation. For example: 200 lbs white tail deer? Prefer Partition. 1,200 Eland? Prefer A Frame. Quartering following shots on a running away buff? Prefer TSX (or good old-fashion solid). Etc.
Thank you for the well thought out reply.
You can use an adjustable wrench to drive nails, but a hammer does a better job.
Every tool has a job, bullets are no different and I should know better.
I'll be ordering a bunch of different ammo and see what shoots well and go from there.
It makes sense that you would use different bullets for different animals, can't expect one to do it all.

At the end of the day the Nosler shoots well in my gun and if it's the only bullet that shoots well, I shouldn't be too limited.
Thanks again.

Hi BeeMaa,

I agree, partially, with One Day said. One of the only situation I would chose other bullet than a 300 grs NP in the .375 H&H, would the one of the buffalo running away. Certainly the TSX or a GOOD solid.
But for Eland ? The 300 grs NP .375 is more than good!!
If the NP shoots well in your gun, you will be perfectly equipped for your PG hunt!

Last edited:
Hi BeeMaa,

I agree, partially, with One Day said. One of the only situation I would chose other bullet than a 300 grs NP in the .375 H&H, would the one of the buffalo running away. Certainly the TSX or a GOOD solid.
But for Eland ? The 300 grs NP .375 is more than good!!
If the NP shoots well in your gun, you will be perfectly equipped for your PG hunt!

Just make sure you place that first shot perfectly if you intend using NP on a trophy sized Eland bull(personally I would not take a full frontal or quartering frontal shot so armed) or pack a very good set of hunting boots as nothing goes as far and as continues as a wounded Eland bull.

Hi lvW,

I am not qualified to argue with you about Eland hunting as I never hunted for it. But having killed big Asian Water Buffalo and really big Red Deer (about 300 kg live weight) with this 300 grs NP bullets in my Winchester 70 pre 64, I wouldn´t think a second to not take a frontal or quartering shot so armed. The NP in .375 and 300 grs is designed to penetrate and A LOT doing great damage!!!

Hi lvW,

I am not qualified to argue with you about Eland hunting as I never hunted for it. But having killed big Asian Water Buffalo and really big Red Deer (about 300 kg live weight) with this 300 grs NP bullets in my Winchester 70 pre 64, I wouldn´t think a second to not take a frontal or quartering shot so armed. The NP in .375 and 300 grs is designed to penetrate and A LOT doing great damage!!!

Big Eland bulls weigh more than a Cape Buffalo. They have a lot more loose skin and "trampoline" effect on the frontal chest area due to the massive dew lap. They also have massive shoulder bones and joints. Trust me a NP is not the best choice for frontal or frontal quartering shots on big Eland bulls.

Rather use a controlled expansion heavy bullet that is designed to hold together and not shed the front section.

Trying to compare a 300 kg red deer to a 900-1000 kg Eland bull is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Thank you lvW.
Without doubt is your experience.
In mine, not even big Walter Buffalo can stop a 300 grs .375" NP penetrates half Buffalo body in frontal shots. I have seen in them NP penetrates usually more than Swifts same weight/calibre. The frontal diameter of expanded Swift is much bigger than the NP. It creates big wounds but what I have seen it stops earlier than the NP.
Perhaps Eland is a diferent thing.
Best!

I am currently shooting my 375H&H Mag CZ550 Amreican Kevlar with 300gr Nosler Partitions in anticipation of my first PG hunt.
I went with the Nosler because it is said that the Nosler solid will give the same point of impact as the PT for a possible future DG hunt.
The PT's shoot well in my gun, giving 1.5" groups at 200 yards from the bench.
My concern is after reading about all the other types of premium (TTSX, Swift A-Frame, Woodleigh..etc) that I could be using something better.
Also I am limited to factory loads. I do not reload and do not see myself picking it up anytime soon.

I know that I'm probably kicking the hornets nest here, but I'm looking for personal hunting experience that I lack on African PG.
It’s just physics. The NP is fine for smaller big game. With 26 years experience on elk and Brown Bears, I don’t recommend them for larger big game or dangerous game. They are not allowed in our bear camp. The front of a NP disappears while the base continues to penetrate but without much expansion. An AFrame or a Barnes will mushroom and therefore create a wider wound channel. It’s just that simple. Sure, the NP will kill any animal on earth if things happen perfectly. So will an arrow. Does that mean an arrow is as lethal as a bullet? No. If you cannot find Swift AFrames or Barnes TSX in factory loads in your area, then see if you can find Remington Core-Lokt. The CL also expands nicely and holds together very well for a “non-premium” bullet that has been around a while.

" They are not allowed in our bear camp." Wow. Previous to reading this thread I would not believe such an opinion or ban was possible. I would take my money elsewhere if my bear outfitter banned my choice of heavy for caliber Nosler Partitions for hunting bear. But that's just me. I like Nosler Partitions.

Me too, I think I'd just avoid that "bear" camp! With statements like that where an NP is inferior to a run-of-the-mill Remington CL which is nothing more than very old conventional cup and core technology with a fancy name that was "catchy" almost 80 years ago- whew! That little rib on the inside surface of the jacket is supposed to keep a core in place after an often encountered violent terminal impact on big or dangerous game??? Hah! about like the Hornady "interlock" does..... not!

Last edited:
Hi longwalker and fourfive8,

Agree. After reading that "banning NP in a bear camp" and that thing about Core-Lokt, a fine but normal cup and core traditional bullet, I think there was no reason to answer that.
Best!

" They are not allowed in our bear camp." Wow. Previous to reading this thread I would not believe such an opinion or ban was possible. I would take my money elsewhere if my bear outfitter banned my choice of heavy for caliber Nosler Partitions for hunting bear. But that's just me. I like Nosler Partitions.
Plains and simple the NP was not designed as a dangerous game bullet. One of the Outfitters I work for was mauled by a bear. He was lucky to survive and almost lost a leg and his life. Once wounded bears are shot and get away from the open beaches in SE Alaska and into the thick rainforest, it’s serious business. Perhaps a hunter should listen to what a Registered Guide that guides 8 hunters each fall and 8 each spring says about bullets and other gear to bring?

Big Eland bulls weigh more than a Cape Buffalo. They have a lot more loose skin and "trampoline" effect on the frontal chest area due to the massive dew lap. They also have massive shoulder bones and joints. Trust me a NP is not the best choice for frontal or frontal quartering shots on big Eland bulls.

Rather use a controlled expansion heavy bullet that is designed to hold together and not shed the front section.

Trying to compare a 300 kg red deer to a 900-1000 kg Eland bull is like comparing chalk and cheese.
Exactly.

I have seen "Woodleigh Hydro" stated in this post a few times.
I checked out the Woodleigh website and found the Woodleigh Hydrostatically Stabilised Bullet which looks to me like a solid.
I found them loaded in Federal Cape Shock 375H&H 300gr and Federal states they are indeed a solid.
Are solids normally used on PG?
As a Safari Company, if a client wishes to use one of our rifles it will be a CZ 550 .375 H&H 300 grn. Woodleigh Hydro.
And there were three other members who "liked" this post.

I am not an experienced African hunter and have not claimed to be.
That being said, it was my understanding that solids were used for DG or on smaller animals to prevent damage to the hide.
Am I mistaken or been mislead?

I have seen "Woodleigh Hydro" stated in this post a few times.
I checked out the Woodleigh website and found the Woodleigh Hydrostatically Stabilised Bullet which looks to me like a solid.
I found them loaded in Federal Cape Shock 375H&H 300gr and Federal states they are indeed a solid.
Are solids normally used on PG?

And there were three other members who "liked" this post.

I am not an experienced African hunter and have not claimed to be.
That being said, it was my understanding that solids were used for DG or on smaller animals to prevent damage to the hide.
Am I mistaken or been mislead?
You are correct. Solids are often used for follow up shots on African DG and can be a good choice for the pygmy antelopes and small cats to avoid a lot of hide damage.

You are correct. Solids are often used for follow up shots on African DG and can be a good choice for the pygmy antelopes and small cats to avoid a lot of hide damage.
Alrighty then.
So if this is normally the case, is there a reason to be using solids on PG animals?
It has been my understanding that a controlled expansion bullet would be best for PG, like the Swift A-Frame...etc.

Alrighty then.
So if this is normally the case, is there a reason to be using solids on PG animals?
It has been my understanding that a controlled expansion bullet would be best for PG, like the Swift A-Frame...etc.

Unless you're targeting the pygmy antelopes, use a soft. A .375 solid through the lungs will without question still kill a kudu, but it will likely run for awhile longer than you'd like.

If you're targeting both, then have both.

Alrighty then.
The Swift A-Frame would be great. Like Phoenix Phil said, only shoot solids for the pygmy antelopes as well as small cats.

I am currently shooting my 375H&H Mag CZ550 Amreican Kevlar with 300gr Nosler Partitions in anticipation of my first PG hunt.
I went with the Nosler because it is said that the Nosler solid will give the same point of impact as the PT for a possible future DG hunt.
The PT's shoot well in my gun, giving 1.5" groups at 200 yards from the bench.
My concern is after reading about all the other types of premium (TTSX, Swift A-Frame, Woodleigh..etc) that I could be using something better.
Also I am limited to factory loads. I do not reload and do not see myself picking it up anytime soon.

I know that I'm probably kicking the hornets nest here, but I'm looking for personal hunting experience that I lack on African PG.
I don’t reload either but had Safari Arms load me 300gr Nosler Accubonds for my .375 Ruger. They are effective on big game but for smaller animals I am thinking of having some Swift Scirocco loaded for more expansion. It is nice to have an expert like Safari Arms load ammo for you. I also needed softs and solids to shoot the same and that is what they did for me.
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianguisy

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,