.375 Ruger Velocity 20" vs 23"

Viral_SIGness

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I loaded up six rounds, same as I used to test my Alaskan before. 300 grain TSX over 69gr of RL15. You gain 22.6 fps per inch.

African - 2442
Alaskan - 2374

Screenshot_20210126-151939_Chronograph.jpg
Screenshot_20210126-151923_Chronograph.jpg

I'm pretty sick, that I traded for an African to gain 68 fps

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a reloaded so take this for what it's worth.

The BC listed on Barnes for the 300 grain TSX is .357, not .327.
Possibly a typing entry error?
I believe it would only make a difference when doing calculations for a graph or chart.

Want to make sure you have the correct numbers if you do make a graph or chart.

Someone opined that the African balanced better for them - so for this little difference in velocity, it would appear we are really down to whether you prefer "blonds" or "brunettes"/buxom or lithe.

Aren't we lucky we have such choices/dilemmas!!!!

Thanks for sharing this research data!!!!

Someone opined that the African balanced better for them - so for this little difference in velocity, it would appear we are really down to whether you prefer "blonds" or "brunettes"/buxom or lithe.

For the record, I'm going red-head and buxom. ;)

I'm not a reloaded so take this for what it's worth.

The BC listed on Barnes for the 300 grain TSX is .357, not .327.
Possibly a typing entry error?
I believe it would only make a difference when doing calculations for a graph or chart.

Want to make sure you have the correct numbers if you do make a graph or chart.
It was a typo. It only effects "actual MV", it does change the other numbers.

I also said it balanced better, and I plan to do more testing. My whole reason for doing this, is because I searched the internet high and low and couldn't find anywhere, that someone tested both versions on the same day. This is far from over, but right now, I'm sick that I traded my Long Range .300 RUM for the African.

the velocities in the test were low for the case potential, and the powder was faster than optimum.
once you get up to 2550 to 2600, things might look different, and up there that velocity difference would mean lower pressure with the longer barrel for the same velocity.
bruce.
If you would provide me with an optimum powder, I'll be glad to use it. I only have RL15, RL19, RL22, RL25, Varget, and IMR4350.

I will also add, the Barnes 300 grain is a long bullet and prevented me from using IMR4350. I have 300 grain Partitions on the way, and 300 grain Matchkings that I will be testing too. Im going to keep this thread going, and maybe a moderator will edit the main post as I add data.

Seriously, I'm looking for RL16/17, AA 2700, or Win 760.

4350, re17, re19 might be worth a sniff around.
heavy barnes can encroach on case capacity as also in 9.3x64, but luckily swift do not have the length issue.
bruce.
I'm going to exhaust every effort I can for this comparison. That way, the next person who is curious like me, can find it all in one place.

When you get up to faster speeds it will be interesting to see what the loss per inch is. You have peaked my interest and look forward to your seeing the results.

in addition we all make trades or sales that we later wish we hadn't. So just chalk it up to one of those opps moments and move on.

I am getting ready to start working on a 260gr Accubond load for my 375 Ruger African so will share with you as I get results.

Last edited:
In order to meet your goal of 2550 you would have needed to realize a gain of 58.7 FPS @ inch. That was a pretty optimistic expectation if the only change was adding barrel length. The Barnes manual suggests if you step up to 70.0 gr of RL-15 you should get 2580 out of a 24" barrel. Even allowing for a 1" shorter barrel you should still be close to 2550. Every other powder listed in the Barnes manual has max loads +2600 FPS so you can get there if you use the right powder. Personally, I doubt the difference between 2442 and 2550 makes any real world difference to the critter getting shot. YMMV

I know what I'll do. I have some Choice Ammunition with the 270 grain TSX rated at 2738 fps, and some factory Swift ammo with the 300 grain A-Frames rated at 2456 fps.

I surely hate to to just waste a $100 box of ammo, but the people need to know
I read somewhere that 1% velocity loss per inch was a good guideline. The one barrel I cut and chrographed per inch was close to that, I believe slightly over 1%. There will eventually be a point of no return where the loss becomes greater that expected or desired. It's a good test as I prefer shorter barrels, but can't say a 23" was an issue on a hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg