375 ruger or 416 ruger?

I am debating between the 375 and 416 ruger cartridge. Either one will be in a ruger Alaskan rifle that I will do a stock upgrade one. Whichever I choose will be paired with a 7mm PRC. The use case for the big bore will be to Hunt Cape buffalo, American Bison and maybe coastal brown bear in Alaska or simply take with me on other hunts there as a just in case gun. I am aware that both of these maybe harder to find ammo for outside of the US but I am leaning towards them for their performance in shorter barrels and standard length actions as well as firearm availability.

I have never hunted dangerous game before so these cartridges are new to me, clearly the 416 has more foot pounds of energy I was just wondering if some of you with more experience would share your pros and cons for each caliber and explain why you would choose either.
I have both. I would pick the 416 version for a dedicated dangerous game rifle. I believe with equal designed bullets, similar weight class per caliber; the 416 impacts harder and breaks / busts bone better. Trajectory differences for 200 yards and under are very insignificant in my opinion.

The choice between the two, would not change my lower visibility moose-hunting habits in Alaska. But, I would pick the 416 in a forewarned, potentially hostile encounter with paws & claws. I will say, the past several years, I have carried the 416 predominately.

The Winchester Model 70 come in 458 Winchester. Plenty of them were made in New Haven. Big guns don’t get shot a lot, so they’ll still have plenty of mechanical life left.

Someone mentioned you cannot get 416 Ruger ammo? That is incorrect. Presently, Ammoseek shows 8 sources for 416 Ruger ammo and in addition Buffalo Bore has 416 Ruger ammo available. I agree it’s not overly plentiful though and more expensive than 375 Ruger.

Someone mentioned you cannot get 416 Ruger ammo? That is incorrect. Presently, Ammoseek shows 8 sources for 416 Ruger ammo and in addition Buffalo Bore has 416 Ruger ammo available. I agree it’s not overly plentiful though and more expensive than 375 Ruger.
I believe they were saying in Africa it’s harder to come by, there are still less choices stateside for sure.

The Ruger case can move .375 cal 350 grain bullets at high speed... really negates the reason for the .416, for the most part. It depends on what the rest of your herd looks like, but if it were me, I would do the .375 and use a good bonded 300 grain bullet for everything up to Buffalo.

As far as Ruger 375 vs 416 I thing think the 375 is a more versatile choice.
The 375R has slightly greater capacity than the H&H so it easily matches the ballistic of one of the greatest cartridges of all time....What more can you ask?

The 416 has somewhat less case capacity than the 416Remington...Which I think is a mistake given the very long 400grain bullets it is intended to shoot...Especially if you plan on going to Africa.
Finally there is the recoil of the 416...while most shooters manage the 375 fairly easily most never learn to master a 416. The 416s require muscle tension (push pull)to hold them under recoil which further complicates field accuracy issues. How about shooting a 416 prone?...You better do it right!
All of this can be managed, but this is a learned process that is only learned be sending a great deal of very expensive ammunition down range (price out a box of 400 grain TSX!)...Most will not do it.
So I don't recommend it.

I am still torn. All of you bring up great points.

The 375 ruger has more ammo choices and from what I’m reading can be found fairly easy in Africa, maybe not to the level of the H&H but still there. The recoil is more manageable from all I can tell, all while fitting in a standard action and performing well in a 20” barrel. It does seem to be the practical choice but my ego still pulls me towards the 416.

Maybe I should get the ruger in 375 ruger for my user and find an older more classical big bore safari rifle just for fun.

I think I have came to the conclusion that I will not be satisfied until I try the 416, if I don’t like it I will sell it or maybe rebarrel it, which I am likely to do with either rifle even if the caliber remains the same to make it a little more suppressor friendly.

** this rifle will most likely end up with a HS precision stock and rebarrel, I am envisioning a mordernized big bore/dangerous game rifle**

I think you’ll like the 416 Ruger - its an excellent caliber.. Mine is the original Ruger Alaskan with the Hogue stock - hard to beat.. I‘ve killed everything from a lion to a buffalo to a jackal with mine.

Also - the hogue stock really absorbs the recoil and make it shoot like a 375 !

I think I have came to the conclusion that I will not be satisfied until I try the 416, if I don’t like it I will sell it or maybe rebarrel it, which I am likely to do with either rifle even if the caliber remains the same to make it a little more suppressor friendly.

** this rifle will most likely end up with a HS precision stock and rebarrel, I am envisioning a mordernized big bore/dangerous game rifle**
Yes, buy one. I bought a like new used Ruger .375 Guide Gun a few months ago. I've only shot half a box through it so far but I LOVE it. First SS, Ruger brand (big game), braked, 20" barrel and laminated stock (Green Mountain brand) rifle with ANY of those features I've ever owned. If I can't find a reasonably priced used .416 Guide Gun, I'll buy their Alaskan model. The Hogue stock on the Alaskan is really "nicely" grippy. An LGS here has both a new Alaskan and African models, but I'm not paying the $1400+ they're asking for either. I usually ALWAYS prefer walnut/blued steel big game rifles, but I'm really intrigued by the SS Ruger rifles in cartridges designed for 20" barrels with little velocity loss. Guess I'm just a little weird? LOL

I recommend you consider a 416 Rigby, either a CZ or Ruger RSM and still obtain a 375 Ruger Alaskan. You’ll have better availability of factory 416 Rigby ammo over the 416 Ruger plus you’ll satisfy your desire for a fine Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger. I’m considering a 375 Ruger guide gun too.

I think you’ll like the 416 Ruger - its an excellent caliber.. Mine is the original Ruger Alaskan with the Hogue stock - hard to beat.. I‘ve killed everything from a lion to a buffalo to a jackal with mine.

Also - the hogue stock really absorbs the recoil and make it shoot like a 375 !
Since it sounds like you have been to Africa with it a couple times did you have any ammo issues there or happen to see any ammo or any of the PHs using the 416 ruger?

I recommend you consider a 416 Rigby, either a CZ or Ruger RSM and still obtain a 375 Ruger Alaskan. You’ll have better availability of factory 416 Rigby ammo over the 416 Ruger plus you’ll satisfy your desire for a fine Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger. I’m considering a 375 Ruger guide gun too.
The only problem with finding a used CZ 550 or even more so a RSM with a limited firearms budget is that their prices have gone through the roof since when I first bought my CZs in 2018-2020. One could ALMOST buy THREE NEW Ruger .375s/.416s for what ONE used .416 Rigby RSM is now going for and ALMOST two Rugers for the price of a used CZ .416 Rigby. Absurd!

The only problem with finding a used CZ 550 or even more so a RSM with a limited firearms budget is that their prices have gone through the roof since when I first bought my CZs in 2018-2020. One could ALMOST buy THREE NEW Ruger .375s/.416s for what ONE used .416 Rigby RSM is now going for and ALMOST two Rugers for the price of a used CZ .416 Rigby. Absurd!
For sure. That price is extra hard to swallow when I would already prefer the shorter action of the ruger and the non belted case as well as the stock options for the rugers.

^^^^What he said.

I just bought a CZ 416 Rigby for $5,000 CDN.

New Ruger Guideguns in 416 Ruger can be had here for $1,800.
But you still got the CZ 416 Rigby? :LOL: As did I! I do not know the OP’s budget. He seems to have some concerns about ammo availability in Africa. I believe he should consider a 416 Rigby like a CZ 550 in that case. Better ammo availability. Perhaps add a synthetic stock and Cerakote for use in inclement weather grizzly/brown bear hunting too.

Last edited:
^^^^What he said.

I just bought a CZ 416 Rigby for $5,000 CDN.

New Ruger Guideguns in 416 Ruger can be had here for $1,800.
New Ruger Alaskans and Africans can be had here for $1400. $1250-1350 on GunJoker. The trick is trying to find a GOOD used one in the $850-950 range like my .375 Guide Gun. I'm patient and I'll keep looking around for a used .416 Ruger in good shape. I already have the brass and have dies and a Lee case trimmer coming eventually from Midway USA. When looking to buy an almost obscure cartridge, it's the brass and dies that are key to happiness. Anyone that has/wants the obscure (since 2012) .300 and .338 Ruger Compact Magnums, an LGS here has probably 20-25 boxes of each at $43/box. I would actually buy a good used Ruger rifle in .338RCM in the $800 range because I know where the brass is at. Dies MIGHT be an issue though. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you