375 Ruger Ammo Test 235grn Barnes VS 235grn Woodleigh

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Spent some time today testing a couple of loads I have worked up for my 375 Ruger Alaskan. As I normally do I thought I would share the results as I think this would be a great plains game load for any of you heading to Africa with a 375Ruger. For me the rifle and ammo is primarily going to be used for big pigs but also some very large thin skinned game (brumbies & scrub bulls). I have worked up loads using bullets at the lighter end of the scale for the .375 calibres, mostly because I want maximum expansion and energy transfer for the pig hunting, I feel that the heavier 300grn bullets will provide too much penetration for the task at hand. Bullets in the 250-270grn range will probably also be suitable as well but these loads with the 235grn bullets have worked out great so I will stick to them until the time comes I feel like spending some more time working up new loads for this rifle. Rifle used in the testing as mentioned above is my new to me, older model Ruger Alaskan in a full block alloy bedded Hogue stock with a Redfield 3-9X40 scope and obviously a 20" barrel, rifle weighs in at 9.46lbs.

I nearly use Woodleighs exclusively for all my hunting, and if not a Woodleigh another bonded soft point (DGX Bonded, Swift A-frame, Nosler Accubond) but in this instance I decided to give the Barnes TSX a go as a second option as they are also available in the 235grn weight.

I worked both loads up to be virtually identical.
Hornady brass
Federal LRM gold medal primers
And surprisingly 74.5 grains of Alliant RL15 put the 2 different projectiles at nearly identical velocities, both averaged very close to 2790fps.

Accuracy out of both loads was fantastic, both 3 shot groups at 75m coming in at 0.6 of an inch. There was nothing in it between the 2 different projectiles as far as accuracy goes.
I also did some penetration/expansion testing with the 2 different loads as I nearly always do with new loads I work up, more out of curiosity than anything as I am sure both projectiles are up to the task at hand.
Both projectiles fully penetrated X2 full 20L water drums each at 50 metres, the Barnes actually just managed to pierce the third drum and was sticking out of it, the Woodleigh also managed to put a decent dent and tiny pin hole in the third drum but was recovered in the bottom of the second drum. Penetration was virtually identical in this test.

235grn Barnes TSX
Muzzle Velocity 2790fps
Estimated Impact velocity 2638fps
Penetration 21 inches
Expansion 0.72 inches
Retained Weight 234.1 grains
Weight retention 99.7%

235grn Woodleigh PPSN
Muzzle Velocity 2790fps
Penetration 21 inches
Expansion 0.73 inches
Retained Weight 186.9 grains
Weight retention 79.6%

For me personally there is nothing in it between these 2 loads/projectiles, super happy with both of them. Obviously the Barnes would probably have the advantage over the Woodleigh on the game with heavier mass as it has better weight retention. The Woodleigh also has it's advantages, I suspect it will expand better than the Barnes at the longer ranges where velocity is starting to drop which is perfect for what I am doing with shooting large pigs around crops. I hope anyone that reads this gets something out of it, pics below of groupings, bullets etc.

3 Shot Group 235grn Barens TSX .jpg
3 Shot Group 235grn Woodleigh PPSN.jpg
235grn Barnes Retained Weight.jpg
235grn Woodleigh Retained Weight.jpg
235grn Woodleigh PPSN & Barnes TSX.jpg
235grn Barnes TSX.jpg
235grn Woodleigh PPSN.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent some time today testing a couple of loads I have worked up for my 375 Ruger Alaskan. As I normally do I thought I would share the results as I think this would be a great plains game load for any of you heading to Africa with a 375Ruger. For me the rifle and ammo is primarily going to be used for big pigs but also some very large thin skinned game (brumbies & scrub bulls). I have worked up loads using bullets at the lighter end of the scale for the .375 calibres, mostly because I want maximum expansion and energy transfer for the pig hunting, I feel that the heavier 300grn bullets will provide too much penetration for the task at hand. Bullets in the 250-270grn range will probably also be suitable as well but these loads with the 235grn bullets have worked out great so I will stick to them until the time comes I feel like spending some more time working up new loads for this rifle. Rifle used in the testing as mentioned above is my new to me, older model Ruger Alaskan in a full block alloy bedded Hogue stock with a Redfield 3-9X40 scope and obviously a 20" barrel, rifle weighs in at 9.46lbs.

I nearly use Woodleighs exclusively for all my hunting, and if not a Woodleigh another bonded soft point (DGX Bonded, Swift A-frame, Nosler Accubond) but in this instance I decided to give the Barnes TSX a go as a second option as they are also available in the 235grn weight.

I worked both loads up to be virtually identical.
Hornady brass
Federal LRM gold medal primers
And surprisingly 74.5 grains of Alliant RL15 put the 2 different projectiles at nearly identical velocities, both averaged very close to 2790fps.

Accuracy out of both loads was fantastic, both 3 shot groups at 75m coming in at 0.6 of an inch. There was nothing in it between the 2 different projectiles as far as accuracy goes.
I also did some penetration/expansion testing with the 2 different loads as I nearly always do with new loads I work up, more out of curiosity than anything as I am sure both projectiles are up to the task at hand.
Both projectiles fully penetrated X2 full 20L water drums each at 50 metres, the Barnes actually just managed to pierce the third drum and was sticking out of it, the Woodleigh also managed to put a decent dent and tiny pin hole in the third drum but was recovered in the bottom of the second drum. Penetration was virtually identical in this test.

235grn Barnes TSX
Muzzle Velocity 2790fps
Penetration 21 inches
Expansion 0.72 inches
Retained Weight 234.1 grains
Weight retention 99.7%

235grn Woodleigh PPSN
Muzzle Velocity 2790fps
Penetration 21 inches
Expansion 0.73 inches
Retained Weight 186.9 grains
Weight retention 79.6%

For me personally there is nothing in it between these 2 loads/projectiles, super happy with both of them. Obviously the Barnes would probably have the advantage over the Woodleigh on the game with heavier mass as it has better weight retention. The Woodleigh also has it's advantages, I suspect it will expand better than the Barnes at the longer ranges where velocity is starting to drop which is perfect for what I am doing with shooting large pigs around crops. I hope anyone that reads this gets something out of it, pics below of groupings, bullets etc.
@Aussie hunter
For the majority of our game I would stick to the Woodleigh. Reason being Woodleigh are excellent projectiles at a fraction of the cost of Barnes. If they are grouping the same and everything else I would stick to them and load up a few Barnes TSX for just in case scenarios .
On pigs and other game you will get quicker more emphatic kills with the Woodleigh at all ranges because of the expansion characteristics.
Just my 2 cents
Bob

@Aussie hunter
For the majority of our game I would stick to the Woodleigh. Reason being Woodleigh are excellent projectiles at a fraction of the cost of Barnes. If they are grouping the same and everything else I would stick to them and load up a few Barnes TSX for just in case scenarios .
On pigs and other game you will get quicker more emphatic kills with the Woodleigh at all ranges because of the expansion characteristics.
Just my 2 cents
Bob
Agree 100%! I love Woodleigh projectiles.

I've been trying to get my hands on some Woodleigh bullets for almost a year. Midway just cancelled my backorder.

Wish I could. Projectiles require a Firearms Import License. I looked into getting some Rhino bullets from Africa several years ago, the shipping and Importation Costs made them absolutely prohibitive.

I've been trying to get my hands on some Woodleigh bullets for almost a year. Midway just cancelled my backorder.
@Shootist43
Art have you tried ordering them directly from Geoff.
If not I could find out the postage is and cost of projectiles and send them to you
Bob

Wish I could. Projectiles require a Firearms Import License. I looked into getting some Rhino bullets from Africa several years ago, the shipping and Importation Costs made them absolutely prohibitive.
@Shootist43
I sent a barrel and almost 100 cases to Wisconsin no problems but it had to be sent as a gift.
Bob

Bob, who is Geoff? That is a name I'm not familiar with. if you ment Graff and Sons, yes I've been in contact with them.

Bob,

Don't you get similar velocities with your 35 Whelen and a 225 grain Woodie?

Bob,

Don't you get similar velocities with your 35 Whelen and a 225 grain Woodie?
@Art Lambert II
I don't know what you mean by similar velocities mate.
The 225 grain Woodleigh PPSP out of my Whelen averaged out a 2,950 fps chronoed out of my Whelen at 4 meters.
Bob

@Art Lambert II
I don't know what you mean by similar velocities mate.
The 225 grain Woodleigh PPSP out of my Whelen averaged out a 2,950 fps chronoed out of my Whelen at 4 meters.
Bob
I reckon I could get these 235 grainers up to 3000fps, I am not even close to the max powder charge yet.

Without sounding offensive, why so slow? I have 300 grain bullets going 2700. I can out a 270 to 2900, and a 250 over 3000. A 235, I could probably get 3200.

I'm asking genuinely, not as a smart ass, and I'm using the 23" barrel. Knock off roughly 22 fps/inch for Alaskan numbers.

Thank you for sharing your work! I am green with envy that you HAVE RL15 to be able to do this development. It is no where to be found here in the States now.
I got RL15 here in my tiny town. They had four more lbs last week. I'll go back and check for you tomorrow.

Without sounding offensive, why so slow? I have 300 grain bullets going 2700. I can out a 270 to 2900, and a 250 over 3000. A 235, I could probably get 3200.

I'm asking genuinely, not as a smart ass, and I'm using the 23" barrel. Knock off roughly 22 fps/inch for Alaskan numbers.
Because I don't need the extra recoil while trying to make shots out to 200-250m.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg