375 Ruger Ammo Test 235grn Barnes VS 235grn Woodleigh

the true test is a bullet that will bust a bovines shoulder joint and continue on, yet expand quickly on the ribs of a lighter animal side on.
bruce.

the true test is a bullet that will bust a bovines shoulder joint and continue on, yet expand quickly on the ribs of a lighter animal side on.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
That's fine If'n ya huntn buffella with a big bullet but that bullet ain't going to work to well on say a fallow deer. The same as an SST is fine for deer but hopeless on buff.
It is why we own different calibers for different game.
Bob

bob, i would use a 286 swift on anything from red deer to cattle and water buff.
that said the red deer would be more easily taken with a 280.
hunting camels, small ones are good to eat and big ones have big bones, and guess which gun you will have there.
bruce.

further to the above.
there have been some cartridges over the years that have a good reputation for a wide spectrum of reliability.
they only had mostly cup and core bullets, so they just used really long ones that that would start to expand fast, and could keep expanding and losing weight, and still have enough left to do many jobs.
the old dead guys found they worked because they did work.
they had to go slow in order to not self destruct.
there still exist some old dead guys that have yet to discover what good modern bullets can really do.
they can be driven faster, lighter weights work just as well, and some will handle a large range of size and construction of game.
if the old dead guys tried some of the modern bullets, they would have stuck to them.
and the 280 ross and lancaster might have been a lot more popular.
bruce.

Bob, I've never had an Accubond fail either. Actually to be honest in all the hunting and culling I have done (literally thousands of animals) I have not noticed a single projectile failure ever. I've used a lot of just standard Federal blue box which is just an old school cup and cone soft point from my understanding, Ive used alot of Federal Fusions, Federal Trophy bonded tips, Accubonds, Partitions, Hornady- SST's, DGX bonded, FTX, Woodleighs from 30 calibre on up to .510 calibre, Swift A-frames, Barnes TSX, Norma Oryx and Vulkans, Winchester power points. Never had a single failure with any of them and that's on animals from dingoes up to Buffalo and everything in between.
I definitely don't have "thousands" under my belt, but I've had failures.
@bruce moulds
That's fine If'n ya huntn buffella with a big bullet but that bullet ain't going to work to well on say a fallow deer. The same as an SST is fine for deer but hopeless on buff.
It is why we own different calibers for different game.
Bob
The SST and Nosler BT are two of the most worthless bullets made. For a meat hunter that is. They come apart as bad as Berger. If you're into bloodshot meat, and massive holes, then those bullets are for you!

The SST and Nosler BT are two of the most worthless bullets made. For a meat hunter that is. They come apart as bad as Berger. If you're into bloodshot meat, and massive holes, then those bullets are for you!
Hornady literally advertises "The SST® creates a devastatingly large wound channel." So not sure the most worthless bullet ever made for a meat hunter is the right way of looking at it. I think the wrong choice for a meat hunter is more accurate.

@Viral_SIGness
Mate I love the SST for medium game up to deer out of my 25. Yes they do A lot of damage but that doesn't worry me. I don't like tracking wounded animals. At closer range the are explosive but out past 150 yards the bullet hang together well. I have not retrieved an SST fired at game out to 300 yards all have been thru and thru.

I have seen the federal blue box 243 fail miserably in the 87 grain. Useless on roos, goats and pigs. Completely pass thru with zero expansion.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg