.375 plains game bullet weight?

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
For those of you who use a .375 caliber rifle for plains game, what bullet weight do you prefer, and why.......not so much concerned with manufacturer or type of bullet at this point (this will come along later with reload testing), just the weight at this point......I see bullets ranging from 235 grain to 285 grain.

.....or, should I just stick with the 300 grain bullet I plan on using on buffalo? I thinking larger plains game (Eland, Zebra, ect.)

I tested out 270gr bullets and the most accurate load was such a small velocity gain over 300gr loads it wasn't worth it. I would've just stuck with 300gr loads.

But when I tried out the 250gr versions from North Fork and Barnes, I was getting 2850-2900 fps. That was worth the improvement over the 300gr bullets at 2550fps IMO.

235gr bullets will certainly be going a bit faster, but I think the 250gr-260gr is the sweet spot for still having good weight and velocity for animals up to and including Eland.

I like 270's for PG and want to try 250's... but if your using that 375 on Buffalo I would just stick to the same loads so you don't need to re-zero ar mess around at all.

I guess I should have been a little bit clearer in my original post.........I don't plan on hunting plains game & buffalo at the same time, so I won't be carrying two different bullet weights on that particular trip. This is strictly just for a plains game hunt (no dangerous game at the same time).

Then I would try a lighter bullet for flatter trajectories. An issue I run into is blowing big holes in little critters so I am going to experiment with copper bullets of 250 grains hoping they may be tougher and not expand as much in the little critters but give good controlled expansion and excellent penetration on the big ones.

Keep us posted on what works for you.

Hi again Mr. 16Gauge,

The concept of one bullet weight / one velocity per rifle, per safari has always appealed to me.

If you are hunting PG in similar conditions as to typical buffalo hunting areas, the 300 gr bullet will be great for everything, from eland to duiker.

Most hand loaders seem to strive for higher velocity than standard but that is a road that often leads people over a cliff (split brass, heavy recoil, mediocre accuracy, empty shell stuck in chamber, game meat ruined, hide damage and etc.).

My favorite .375 load is the Hornady 300 gr round nose at 2400 fps and I also like the old Nosler Partition 300 gr at that tame speed.

It is shockingly accurate in each rifle I have used it in, has a bit less recoil than factory spec and does not splatter the small animals much at all.

That being said, if hunting PG in wide open country, such as desert or grasveld, I think a 270 gr spitzer might be a good choice.

Nosler makes a 260 grainer that might be good but one of my friends had one shatter (260 gr Partition) on a moose brisket, at close range but, it was at the unnecessarily high velocity common to the .375 Weatherby.

Last but not least, I have used the Speer brand 235 gr semi-spitzer for deer and caribou with perfect success but, I would not chose this bullet for eland or moose (other stout animals like zebra or waterbuck either).

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think a discussion about bullet weight alone makes a lot of sense, without also including the factors of construction/brand/type/impact velocity in the same discussion.

Example: Sierra and Barnes both make 250 grain bullets for the .375...but the construction is different enough that there is a large difference in terminal performance and therefore suitable applications.

I could see using the 250gr Barnes TTSX on Eland, but not the 250gr Sierra (especially at close range/high impact velocity).

Just my $0.02, and no offense intended in any way.

Tim

I used my .375 on two African hunts. The first hunt was for Buffalo and Plains Game, and I chose the 300 grain TSX bullets for that hunt. The second hunt was just for PG, and I used 270 grain TSX bullets on a variety of animals from Steenbok to Cape Eland.

My .375 RUM pushed the 300 grain bullets out at 2830 fps, and the 270 grain bullets at 3040 fps. All of these bullets performed very well.

I'm using 235 grain for plains game and lion on this trip.

I'll let you know in a few months what the 250 TTSX does on some plains game.

This is my 300 gr Woodleigh Rn at 50 yards running at 2530 fps. I like the accuracy but want a bit more reach. I am thinking of either 300 PP or moving to the 250 or 270 ttsx. It is for plains game.

DSC_0030.JPG

I'll let you know in a few months what the 250 TTSX does on some plains game.

I think the 250 gr did well from your report. What is the final analysis?

I've loaded my .375 Ruger with 200 gr GS Custom bullets which you can buy in the US now. They're super fast and flat and perform well, similar to a 300 Win Mag. They're great for our terrain where shots very from 80-280 yards but I'd use something heavier if you're going to be hunting in the bushveld where shots are generally closer. I've had a client hunt with 235 gr Barnes bullets and they also performed well. In my opinion 300 grain is unnecessary for plains game but if you're going to be hunting buffalo on the same trip, I'd use 300 grain for the whole lot.

Thanks. No buff just Pg. The issue I think I am having with the GS Customs is that I cannot seat them close enough to the lands. My magazine prevents the OAL I need as it is too short (Zastava action). As a result I am getting 2" groups at 100 yards. I was trying for something better. It's a shame because I was hoping to use the GS.

I used 235 grain Barnes loaded by Double Tap. Over 3000 fps and 5000 muzzle energy. These are dead on at 200 and only 6.5 inches low at 300. 1.25" groups at 100 yards. Shot 13 animals last summer in South Africa from Zebra, Hartebeest and Sable to Impala and Warthog. Worked great!

On Realguns.com, Joe D"Alessandro wrote an article a few years ago where he converted a CZ 550 FS to 375 Ruger. He then developed a wide range of loads to demonstrate the versatility of the round. Light load around 2000 fps and 2100 Ft/lbs ME and up to 3000 fps and nearly 5000 fps. Bullet weights from 225 to 350 gr. He wanted to have a light load for deer and a heavy load for serious big game.

The Real Guns CZ 550 FS Goes 375 Ruger Part II: http://www.realguns.com/articles/214.htm
Handload Development for a Junk Yard Dog

Thanks. No buff just Pg. The issue I think I am having with the GS Customs is that I cannot seat them close enough to the lands. My magazine prevents the OAL I need as it is too short (Zastava action). As a result I am getting 2" groups at 100 yards. I was trying for something better. It's a shame because I was hoping to use the GS.

That's a pity. I would think the closest to GS would be 235 Barnes or similar.

@375 Ruger Fan Thanks for posting that link... Although I can appreciate why Ruger developed the 375 Ruger, I can also understand those who say there was no need as the H&H will do everything and anything...

However, the H&H will not fit a medium action and so putting the Ruger into that FS CZ is absolutely brilliant! And, owning a Ruger Guide gun in 375 Ruger, even though it has not been bloodied yet, I know it has the edge in short barrels.

That little CZ FS in 375 Ruger has to be one of the coolest rifle/caliber combos I've seen! CZ might do well to add that clambering to that model... of course then they would need to consider adding the 416 Ruger as well:)

Even if it failed and was discontinued, they would quickly be scooped up by weird guys like me who would just have to have one to have one ;)

I like 270g in 375 for PG , shoots a little flatter with a higher speed .

@375 Ruger Fan Thanks for posting that link... Although I can appreciate why Ruger developed the 375 Ruger, I can also understand those who say there was no need as the H&H will do everything and anything...

However, the H&H will not fit a medium action and so putting the Ruger into that FS CZ is absolutely brilliant! And, owning a Ruger Guide gun in 375 Ruger, even though it has not been bloodied yet, I know it has the edge in short barrels.

That little CZ FS in 375 Ruger has to be one of the coolest rifle/caliber combos I've seen! CZ might do well to add that clambering to that model... of course then they would need to consider adding the 416 Ruger as well:)

Even if it failed and was discontinued, they would quickly be scooped up by weird guys like me who would just have to have one to have one ;)

ActionBob: After reading that article about the CZ FS conversion to 375 Ruger, I wrote CZ America and asked them if they had any plans to offer the 375 Ruger. They said no. Too bad, cause I would have bought one. And like you said, a few others would too.

I personally use 270gr for plainsgame hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg