Wiley64

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
So I’ve been sitting on this new gun for a while, debated scope options and had to postpone shooting it since I had a concussion when my order arrived. Decided on zeiss conquest 3-9x40 plaid musical scopes… Finally took it out today and man what a fun gun to shoot! The recoil did not bother me one bit and it printed a great group at 100 yards. Can’t wait to take it deer hunting this weekend!

ED5D0F64-0C06-4911-A6B1-FF87E2CFA4A4.jpeg
5D4228B6-D349-4FAF-991C-051536923BC2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
They are great right out of the box;) and heavy enough to really tame recoil. Hard to beat as gateway drug to bigger bores :)

So I’ve been sitting on this new gun for a while, debated scope options and had to postpone shooting it since I had a concussion when my order arrived. Decided on zeiss conquest 3-9x40 plaid musical scopes… Finally took it out today and man what a fun gun to shoot! The recoil did not bother me one bit and it printed a great group at 100 yards. Can’t wait to take it deer hunting this weekend!

View attachment 438184View attachment 438185
Outstanding!!!

I am sure you will have much enjoyment from that rifle and cartridge. Congratulations!

View attachment 438184

Dollar for dollar, hard to beat a Model 70 in 375 H&H as a DG rifle.
Except for the same rifle in 416 Rem Mag;)

Having one of each is the next logical step! :)

A fine tool of the hunting trade! Looking forward to a report on your first field experience with it.
Congratulations!

That is a great looking rifle. I bought a twin of your rifle from an estate.(non identical twin—mine has a Nikon Monarch scope). I was amazed at how good they shoot and as you have pointed out the recoil in not a problem. Please give us some pics of your deer hunt (stand, view, rifle and deer!). Thanks for posting. Your friend, Brian

That is a fine looking rifle, Wiley64. You said the recoil did not bother you one bit, and that is a very favorable first impression.

I am a model 70 fan myself, but I have never fired a .375. I have been thinking I might be able to handle a .375, and that is kind of on the top of my wish list. I have been looking at the Safari Express, and the half pound lighter Alaskan, as well as the Hawkeye African in .375 Ruger.

I would be very interested in hearing your impressions regarding your recoil tolerance after one or two hundred rounds. I would also be interested to hear your thoughts as to whether the 8.5 pound Alaskan might be too light.
I have read that the Safari Express .375 is a little heavier in the barrel than the .416, so it may be that the Express .375 is actually three quarters of a pound heavier than the Alaskan. Would you think a .375, three quarters of a pound lighter than your rifle might be too light?

That is a fine looking rifle, Wiley64. You said the recoil did not bother you one bit, and that is a very favorable first impression.

I am a model 70 fan myself, but I have never fired a .375. I have been thinking I might be able to handle a .375, and that is kind of on the top of my wish list. I have been looking at the Safari Express, and the half pound lighter Alaskan, as well as the Hawkeye African in .375 Ruger.

I would be very interested in hearing your impressions regarding your recoil tolerance after one or two hundred rounds. I would also be interested to hear your thoughts as to whether the 8.5 pound Alaskan might be too light.
I have read that the Safari Express .375 is a little heavier in the barrel than the .416, so it may be that the Express .375 is actually three quarters of a pound heavier than the Alaskan. Would you think a .375, three quarters of a pound lighter than your rifle might be too light?
I definitely need to shoot it more to give you a real diligent answer, first impression would be it takes the recoil very well by being a little heavier rifle. I shot my 270 wsm at the range that day as well and felt like it was trying to fly out of my hands. The Model 70 recoil was a firm push but in my opinion not as stiff as the short magnum. Will shoot some more and report back

Great rifle. It's amazing how little (imo) the 375 recoils in an appropriate sized rifle/combo
Agreed! It was a pleasant surprise. My father in law videoed me shooting it and the first thing I said was “it’s not that bad!”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg