Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Eastern Cape & Kalahari), Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
I'd like to ask a question to those who have hunted PG & DG with a 375 H&H. Next year I'll be going to the East Cape to hunt PG, biggest being an Eland, and smallest being a Bush Buck. Right after that hunt I'll be heading to the Kalahari to hunt a Lioness. I am planning on taking my AHR CZ 550 in 375 H&H. My question to you is from the following, which bullet would be better? I currently have the following ammo, Federal Premium Safari 300 grs Nosler Partition, and Hornady DGS 270 grs SP Superformance. I don't want to be switching scopes, and ammo, and I want to keep it simple. I was going to take two scopes, but decided to only take the Trijicom Accumark 1-6x24. Your thoughts on this as well?

I've read on some post where someone claims to use the 300 grs on everything, others to go lighter on the bullets. Your opinions and expertise is greatly appreciated.

Neither.

Nosler are old school cup and core non bonded as for Hornady DGS is a solid did not know they made it in 270gr. If it is the SP @ 2800fps I would steer well clear, I can see them blowing up on an eland shoulder.....

Find a premium 300gr bullet and use that for everything, properly sighted you are good to go to 300 meters. 330 yards.

Swift A frame, TBBC(if you can still get them) or get Superior ammunition to load you some.

Not the cheapest safari dont scimp on the ammo....

Good luck perfect caliber for the job....

Thanks @IvW, I appreciate your response. I currently have some 300 Grs Accubonds bullets I can reload. I also have some Barnes 300 grs TSX-FB loaded ammo.

Out of the 4 you mentioned I would use the Accubond. I may be a oddball but I also dont like tsx.

If you could find 300gr Swifts would be perfect, I do realise you guys have issues with ammo at the moment...

Copy! Unfortunately we do have issue finding ammo & components at this time. I have some older Winchester silver tip ammo? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I would say any 270gr or 300gr quality bullet will do all of that

I love barnes and have great success with them

At least they are not made by Horny Bee....they were actually quite popular in the day....bet your PH has never seen them....

Rated as premium bullets back then today I would rate them behind the Accubond

If it were my choice I would use the 300gr Nosler partition on everything that you will be hunting without hesitation. I hunted pg including eland with a 30'06 handloaded with 180gr nosler partitions with no problems. Surely 300gr partitions from your 375 will do the job.

I prefer Swift A-Frame and the matching Break-Away solids for most everything I do. I use 300gr all day. Sirocco if I'm really reaching out.

Then there are North Fork if you something special in my opinion.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 2.03.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 2.03.40 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 121
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 2.03.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 2.03.42 PM.png
    939.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 2.03.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 2.03.44 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
I used only 300 grain A-Frames on everything, buffalo, zebra, impala, blesbok, red hartebeest, and gemsbok. I did use 2 scopes, a 1.5 x5 zeroed at 50yds and a 3.5 x 10 zeroed at 200. The A-Frames performed perfectly on everything. They do not expand violently on impala sized game and therefore on a quartering away shot don't blow the opposite shoulder off while being a premium buffalo bullet. The Warne QD mounts made scope change simple and quick. Two scopes really weren't needed but I liked the extra magnification on the plains game. I switched over after the buffalo. I would've been fine with either scope as my longest shot was on the zebra just before getting the buffalo. I had some shots on the smaller stuff that my 30-06 deer loads would've made a mess for the taxidermist to repair but the A-Frames did the job without un-needed gore.

270 grain will take all game on your list but since you have 300 g use them. I like 300gr nosler accubond . Many hunters here swear by tsx. This season I used Peregrine Vg 2 on PG with good results.

Thanks @IvW, I appreciate your response. I currently have some 300 Grs Accubonds bullets I can reload. I also have some Barnes 300 grs TSX-FB loaded ammo.

Reloading International has 250gr and 270gr North Fork semi-spitzers in stock. Both will work fine for Eland and lioness.

Definitely would not use a solid no matter the brand. I might would make an exception if it were North Fork cup point solids. They act a lot like a soft point.

This is what I do. Take it for what it’s worth. Call John La Sala with Safari Arms. Have him load you a series of test loads in Barnes 300g TSX. He will send you four or five different powder combinations ( Color coded). See which ones your rifle likes the best. Call him back and tell him which color you want. He will use any bullet you like. I’m partial to the Barnes TSX and the CEB #13 if using solids.

I’ve always had great customer service from John.

Copy! Unfortunately we do have issue finding ammo & components at this time. I have some older Winchester silver tip ammo? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Winchester silvertips were used and respected for many years before todays super premiums were developed and could certainly be used if thats all you can find. I doubt that they will bounce off of any pg.

I like the federal premium line taking solids and trophy bonded bear claws. I always had good luck shooting all 300 grain and having similar points of impact. It sounds like you could do everything you want to do with one bullet.

Didn’t realize Hornady DG series came in 270 grain solid , thought they were expanding which would be my choice. 300 grain both solid and expanding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.