AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Houston Safari Club, SCI,NRA
Hunted
Alaska, Mexico, Inuvik NWT, Canada, Yukon, BC, Argentina, Limpopo, SA,Namibia, Africa
When it comes to finding out the answer to my questions this is the BEST PLACE . I throughly appreciate everyones honest answers.
Here is my question....I do not reload and wishing to get the opinion on ammunition for my 375 H&H.
I will be headed to Africa again in 2024 for my primary animals Lion,Hippo,Buffalo . What factory ammunition do you suggest both in solid & soft nose and grain of the bullet. I will also be taking my 470NE Double and my 300Win Mag for any Plains game.
Thanks in advance for everyones feedback

Barnes Vor-Tx 300gr would be my first choice.

I know a lot of guys really like Remington Premier that is topped with a 300gr swift a-frame as well

I think most here would advise you that solids in 375 aren’t needed for the animals on your list… the tsx or a-frame bullets will get the job done well..

Remington Premier that is topped with a 300gr swift a-frame.

I would use 300gr A-Frames and CEB solids. If you don't reload, custom loaders can build loads specific to your gun and bullet selection. I would leave the WM behind and pack more 375.

Is there really any bad factory ammo? I like certain bullets a lot more than others but I’ve never seen a reliability issue with any ammo. Federal Safari ammunition has a higher velocity than other brands. I don’t think the performance of trophy bonded bear claws can be beat closely followed by swift A frames.

I take Norma Oryx 300g and Norma Woodleigh 350g. For the three you listed, I would use the Woodleigh.

TSX would not be my first choice for a cat. For that reason alone I would use AFrames or TBBC made by Federal.

Is there really any bad factory ammo? I like certain bullets a lot more than others but I’ve never seen a reliability issue with any ammo. Federal Safari ammunition has a higher velocity than other brands. I don’t think the performance of trophy bonded bear claws can be beat closely followed by swift A frames.
I have a box of Remington Premier 300gr A frames and 5 of 8 out of that box have not gone bang.(I havent bothered shooting anymore)

Called Remington and they could care less, didnt want the ammo or any info.

Its not the gun, my hand loads and a couple other factory brands have always gone off, and the primers are not set deep, full firing pin crater on them.

Things that make you go hmmmm.

If I didnt load my own I think about calling one of several custom loaders for ammo for the hunt. Hendershot’s, Superior,Safari arms…..get exactly what I wanted for bullet. I happen to pair Woodleigh solids and Aframes; but theres lots of great choices.

I have a box of Remington Premier 300gr A frames and 5 of 8 out of that box have not gone bang.(I havent bothered shooting anymore)

Its not the gun, my hand loads and a couple other factory brands have always gone off, and the primers are not set deep, full firing pin crater on them.

If I didnt load my own I think about calling one of several custom loaders for ammo for the hunt. Hendershot’s, Superior,Safari arms…..get exactly what I wanted for bullet. I happen to pair Woodleigh solids and Aframes; but theres lots of great choices.

That is some really bad luck. Makes me think it would be a good practice to fire 2 rounds or so from every box I’d consider taking on a trip with me. I had to borrow 375 ammo in Cameroon this year. This was a (supposedly) factory federal 375 with primer backwards. I’m really glad I noticed. I’ve had no problems aside from this one incident with swift, federal, Barnes, 406 ammo with 375 ammo.
IMG_2012.png

I would use Hornady Dangerous Game, 300g DGX and DGS.

If your gun is like mine, it will put both into the same POI at 100 yds.

That is some really bad luck. Makes me think it would be a good practice to fire 2 rounds or so from every box I’d consider taking on a trip with me. I had to borrow 375 ammo in Cameroon this year. This was a (supposedly) factory federal 375 with primer backwards. I’m really glad I noticed. I’ve had no problems aside from this one incident with swift, federal, Barnes, 406 ammo with 375 ammo.
Like anything made, there can always be an issue somewhere on the production line. This is the only time I have had a problem with factory ammo out of many rounds across all the rifles I have owned. Mostly Federal products in general.

Maybe the intended use of this type of load is what really bugs me. You’ve been on the tracks of buffalo for 5 days to get that one shot….and…..click. So you cycle the bolt, feed a fresh case …..and…..click again.

Boy that would really suck.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 9.01.15 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 9.01.15 AM.png
    429.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 9.01.16 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 9.01.16 AM.png
    458.7 KB · Views: 46
Before departing on hunt, I inspect EVERY cartridge and load it into the magazine, then run them through my rifle to check feeding and ejection. You do not want to have a problem that is discovered after you arrive at your safari camp.

View attachment 553053
Now that is scary Shit.

LEE dies are your friend. Lee reloading, and Lee Factory Crimp Die.

I always recheck the cartridge before final crimp on the bullet, Use a caliper for OAL. and check again, with a LE Wilson case gauge.

Then double check. Through the Wilson Case Gauge, for chambering, Cartridge OAL, and chambering.

It's a Pain in the Ass at first but WILL save you ammo and time on the range.

Then Factory Crimp with a Lee Die. If Lee can't make it, then I do not want it.
Then check again.

Federal loaded with 300 grn Aframe and woodleigh hydros are both available at the moment. Should be about perfect for your intended game.

.470 Nitro Express
Solid-
Hendershots Custom Ammunition 500Gr Cutting Edge Bullets Safari Solid
Expanding- Hendershots Custom Ammunition 500Gr Swift A Frame

.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
Solid-
Hendershots Custom Ammunition 300Gr Cutting Edge Bullets Safari Solid
Expanding- Hendershots Custom Ammunition 300Gr Swift A Frame

.300 Winchester Magnum
Expanding-
Hendershots Custom Ammunition 200Gr Swift A Frame (although you might want to substitute the 200Gr bullet weight with the 180Gr bullet weight if you anticipate scenarios where you will be shooting out to longer ranges over open terrain)

With Cutting Edge Bullets Safari Solids & Swift A Frames loaded up by a reliable custom loader, you will be absolutely ready for anything & everything that Africa throws at you.

I took those same 3 animals using Barnes TSX. Many other great bullets out there, Swift and Hornady DGX has worked well for me on buffalo.

Barnes Vor-Tx 300gr would be my first choice.

I know a lot of guys really like Remington Premier that is topped with a 300gr swift a-frame as well

I think most here would advise you that solids in 375 aren’t needed for the animals on your list… the tsx or a-frame bullets will get the job done well..

This! I used this ammo on my last trip to SA, and shot everything with this ammo, from the smallest, Warthog & Bushbuck, to the midsized animals Nyala, Lioness, Kudu, Red Hartebeest, Black Wildebeest, to a large cow Buffalo. They were all one-shot kills, and no bullets were recovered. If your rifle likes them, use this ammo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbiGob

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double