358 Winchester & 9.3x57 Question About Performance

Bob that is great performance with the Woodleigh's. If I couldn't get the Swift A-Frames I'd look real hard at the Woodleigh's as a second choice, (just me). As soon as my supplier gets in a new shipment I've got some Woodleigh Hydro Stabilized solids back ordered in 9.3 and .375. Looking forward to experimenting with those. By the way, very nice zebra!!

Bob that is great performance with the Woodleigh's. If I couldn't get the Swift A-Frames I'd look real hard at the Woodleigh's as a second choice, (just me). As soon as my supplier gets in a new shipment I've got some Woodleigh Hydro Stabilized solids back ordered in 9.3 and .375. Looking forward to experimenting with those. By the way, very nice zebra!!
@Rick HOlbert
The hydros give excellent straight line penetration.
If you look at my zebra photo you will see the entrance hole about 2 to 3 inches above the last chevron on the front leg. We had to keep washing the blood off for the photo he was leaking that much.
Bob

bob,
good to see a trophy photo where
a) the bolt is open and pointing in a safe direction and
b) the shooter is not crouched down looking like an idiot trying to make the animal look bigger, and using a wide angle lens to magnify that effect..
congratulations.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Thank you for the compliment. The photographer did a good job but how he made me that good looking compared to normal is still a mystery to me, people usually tell me I'm but ugly.
Bob.

that is not what the girls are saying.
they all agree that you are handsome and iresistable, and would like their babies to carry your genetics.
bruce.

that is not what the girls are saying.
they all agree that you are handsome and iresistable, and would like their babies to carry your genetics.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
It would be interesting to meet all these girls but only if my wife wasn't around.
I could bet you London to a brick that each one of them has a white cane and seeing eye dog or after an Australian passport.
Bob

no bob they are all drop dead gorgeous 20 to 30 year old billionairesses that own pups.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Mate 1 30 year old would kill me.
Thanks for letting me know tho.
I will stick with my beautiful little wife. At least I know where I'm at and she love my hunting and travels with her. That will do me for sure don't need a new model to happy with what I have.
Bob

bob, the harder you play to get the more they will hunt you down.
oh by the way, the perfect age for the woman is 1/2 the man's age + 10.
bruce.

bob, the harder you play to get the more they will hunt you down.
oh by the way, the perfect age for the woman is 1/2 the man's age + 10.
bruce.
@DG870 and @bruce moulds
My 4 foot 11 and three quarters 57 year old will do me just fine.
Thank you for your offers and advice but I will stick with my beautiful little wife
Feel free to divide them between yourselves.
Bob

bob,
what she doesn't know won't hurt her.
the beauty of the young ones is that you can train them to suit yourself.
just look for looks, money and a pub, as well as temperament.
they only want you for your body( and genes) anyway.
bruce.

Bruce, I used the same powder charge for both bullets, W748 although Varget gave almost same performance. I got the data from Paco Kelly and if interested you can get it from him. As long as I've been reloading slight compression was ok but heavy compression a no no. Well,.... the Barnes really compresses the charge. I was a little apprehensive and slowly worked up to his load. It worked! The .358 was held down to roughly 45000 lbs pressure because some "experts" back in the day said the .358 had horrible recoil. Fact is it's no worse than a 30-06 with the same weight bullet. Loaded to approximately 55000 lbs pressure and the .358 will get to within 100 fps of what the 35 Whelen will do in factory loads.
Rick
Probably more to with the weakness of the original BLR mechanism, i.e. you could break it whilst trying to extract a case after using a hot load. The gunsmith would pour Kroil or similar down the barrel and then unscrew the barrel from the receiver. I know this because a now deceased gunsmith friend of mine had to do that on a customer’s rifle (chambered for .308 Win) shortly after the BLR came out.

Last edited:
bob,
what she doesn't know won't hurt her.
the beauty of the young ones is that you can train them to suit yourself.
just look for looks, money and a pub, as well as temperament.
they only want you for your body( and genes) anyway.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Don't you mean what she don't know won't hurt me.
As I keep telling you I'm happy with what I have.
You feel free to handle it for me . I will even give you a good reference.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg