Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Wipartimer my brother has shot both well if I recall. But I'm warming up to the 308 idea a bit. It can use a suppressor which is nice. No muzzle blast to distract me while I watch as back him up. Of course I want it to be his kill so I'm hoping he downs it without help.
@Alaska Luke
Go with the 358.
A lot more punch at close range and a BIGGER hole to start with.
Bob

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
What's wrong with the Speer? Obviously it might not be ideal to smash a shoulder. But at 25 yards you freeze if the bear is facing you, you shoot when the bear isn't looking (i.e. broadside).
@Alaska Luke
Nothing wrong with the Speer hotcore. I think they are under rated. A mate shot a big billygoat with a piddly little 25/20 @75 yards with a 70grain Speer hotcore. It broke the shoulder blade destroyed the internals , broke ribs on the other side and kept going out the skin. Result 1 very dead goat.
I have used the 220grain hotcore on big pigs =s dead hogs.
You could always consult balistic studies by Nathan . He has tested a bucket load of projectiles. Easy reading and great info
I have attached where to find it
Bob
Screenshot_20210407-105015_Chrome.jpg

Viral_SIGness

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
My brother is coming up to Alaska and the plan is to ambush a bear from a blind. Could be a 200 pound black bear or a 400-800 pound grizzly.

My way question relates to HIS rifle. I will be backing him up with a 375 Ruger. I am totally happy with my rifle. My brothers choices are limited because I can't get the ammo and/or reloading components I might prefer. So here are his choices.

He could use my 358 Winchester. Load is a 225 grain Swiift A Frame going 2416 fps. Or a 220 Speer at the same velocity. My concern with these is I've never used an A frame for anything. If he takes a broadside shot through the ribs will the A Frame be too tough? The ribs of an average grizzly aren't that thick, typically black bears are whitetail sized here. Too tough could be a problem.

308 with a hot load pushing a 200 grain Partition at 2465 fps. Now I know the 308 is light but the shot will be close, probably 25 yards. So the actual impact velocity will be roughly were a 30-06 would be at 100 yards. And I know the Nosler Partition well.

There really are no other options. The 358 bullets available seem either too hard for a broadside (A Frame) or to soft for a shoulder bone (Speer) based on anecdotal repo. The 308 is a bit lighter but the bullet has better SD and should do serious damage on a broadside shot.

Thoughts? If someone tells me an A Frame will open fast and make a mess of the lungs in a small grizzly we'll do that. But I'd prefer a 308 that expands to a 358 that punches through like a solid.
I'd use a 150 or 165 grain TSX in the .308. They just look tough, when they really aren't. Why not let him use your .375 ? Does he flinch when shooting it?

On a completely different note, @Letzhunt has a .375 Ruger for sale here in the forum.

7x57Joe

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I used the Speer 250 grain HotCor in my .358 when hunting elk and they worked to perfection but, I hunted black timber and the ranges were less than 75 yards. I believe in your situation with only the 2 bullets mentioned for the .358 either will provide exemplary performance with a well placed shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lisette667

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?