338s Are A Great Caliber

bob, that 358 mitchell would be stepping on the heels of a std whelen closer than it is to a 358 win.
the 7x57 ackley is almost a 280, and the 257 ackley roberts is a twin of the 25/06.
however, unless you have some rare mid length action there is no advantage over a 30/06 case.
and also, you can ackley the 30/06 for a bit more if you want.
bruce.

paul,
that is bad news about the m70 in oz.
obviously shooters down here do not appreciate superior tools.
bruce.
Bruce, that's not entirely true.
If the way they are being snapped up at inflated prices is any indication then the M70 is well and truly appreciated.
I am now seeing "near-new", second hand M70's, being advertised for anywhere between $2.5 - $3k.
A "special edition" Safari grade .375 for nearly $6k ???????????

I hear rumors that production of the M70 has ceased, i'm not sure that as fact.

Seems as though, these days, the primary criteria for firearms purchases has suddenly become price.

The cheaper the betterer.

just looked at winchester aust website.
there a fair few m70s the including featherweight.
they also have the "rubbish" model, somewhat cheaper.
also there are steyr rifles for bigger money than the m70, but in fact no better a rifle than the cheap win.
just goes to show. people will pay for urban myth like steyr and sako or pay as little as possible.
godd value does not come into the equation.
bruce.

@BeeMaa
Why a 33 anything when you can pick a perfectly good 35.
35 rem, 358 win, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma and 358 STA. Surely any one of those will fill your needs.
Bob
Bob you are a man after my own heart. I too am a 35 looney. If you can’t kill it with a 35 you better take up badminton.

Bruce, that's not entirely true.
If the way they are being snapped up at inflated prices is any indication then the M70 is well and truly appreciated.
I am now seeing "near-new", second hand M70's, being advertised for anywhere between $2.5 - $3k.
A "special edition" Safari grade .375 for nearly $6k ???????????

I hear rumors that production of the M70 has ceased, i'm not sure that as fact.

Seems as though, these days, the primary criteria for firearms purchases has suddenly become price.

The cheaper the betterer.
I'm assuming the $2.5-$3k is in Aus currency? Any idea what that would be in U.S.? Just curious?

I grew up shooting a .30-06 with 165gr bullets for elk, pronghorn and deer - no need to re-sight for different critters and loads. I bought a .338WM later and found that the 225gr bullets generally follow the same trajectory so that made for an easy transition back and forth from caliber to caliber. The .225gr bullets shoot a little flatter trajectory than anything heavier or lighter and still pack a wallop. I’ve shot many a North American animal, including brown bears, and a bunch of African animals with it with no failures. Also, it’s a very inherently accurate round.
+1 for the 225gr bullets.

I'm assuming the $2.5-$3k is in Aus currency? Any idea what that would be in U.S.? Just curious?
I think the exchange is around .76 U.S cents to one of our dollar.

+1 for the 225gr bullets.
Yeh, me too.

I'm punching 225's out at a comfortable 2900fps in factory loads at them moment.
They shoot flat and hit like a freight train.

Bob you are a man after my own heart. I too am a 35 looney. If you can’t kill it with a 35 you better take up badminton.
@MS9x56
Mate we're not loonies but well informed and educated. My philosophy is small to medium game a good 25 cal, everything else a well loaded 35 Whelen. A properly loaded Whelen is even better than the old 350Rigby magnum and that was the darling of Africa at one stage. Therefore theory reason that the 35 Whelen will do fine. Fortunately the Whelen is misunderstood so ammo is,available when all the modern stuff is sold out.
As I said informed and educated is better than common.
Bob.

https://www1.oanda.com/currency/converter/
1611233517825.png

Many cape buffalo, Leopard and Lion are killed by the .338 every year by the wives and children of hunters..Ive killed several buffalo under certain circumstances with the 338 Win, and many are culled each year by a number of lesser calibers..

A late Fb friend, Jay T he liked MkV .340 Wby wih a fixed Leupold on. 250 Nosler P and 300 Woodleigh. He took buffalo and very much more with it. The lower post point was poi with the 250 on 300 meters he said.

I love my Browning A Bolt .338WM. Have shot all my elk with it using 225gr Super Premium Core Lokt bullets! But since I’ve entered the CRF action world, I wish CZ made a 550 model in that caliber?
If you like the CZ try to find one in 9.3x62 and you will be a happy camper. More knockdown power heavier bullets and less recoil than the 338 win mag.

If you like the CZ try to find one in 9.3x62 and you will be a happy camper. More knockdown power heavier bullets and less recoil than the 338 win mag.
Or, according to Townsend Nelson, get a .35 Whelen and kill everything in the Galaxy with it! Ha! Ha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg