338s Are A Great Caliber

Bob,
I totally agree. There are definitely a few more I haven't mentioned....the 264 WM was ahead of its time. With a cartridge like that you don't need any of the other 6.5's and 6.8's...and then the 358 W and 338 Fed....you will not get much or any better of a cartridge in the bushveld of SA where I grew up or in any other wooded area. Unfortunately these cartridges are not well known outside NA.

Help me decide on which scope to mount on my rebarreled Savage 111 in .338-06. I plan to hunt the Eastern Cape in 2024. It will be both in the coastal area and the Karoo. Larger animals on my list include nyala, blue wildebeest, and perhaps a Cape kudu.

Would you go with a lower power scope say in the 1-6x or 1-8x range or go with a 2-10x42/2.5-10x42 scope? I have the scopes on hand to go either way.

What say you?

Help me decide on which scope to mount on my rebarreled Savage 111 in .338-06. I plan to hunt the Eastern Cape in 2024. It will be both in the coastal area and the Karoo. Larger animals on my list include nyala, blue wildebeest, and perhaps a Cape kudu.

Would you go with a lower power scope say in the 1-6x or 1-8x range or go with a 2-10x42/2.5-10x42 scope? I have the scopes on hand to go either way.

What say you?
My vote would be for the 2-10x42

What say you?
What bullet will you be using?

What bullet will you be using?
I'm not sure. I have Woodleigh 180 gr PP SN and Nosler 210 gr Partitions on hand. I also picked up a box of Sierra 215 gr GameKings at a recent auction.

I'm thinking the 210 gr Partitions might be the best option.

I'm not sure. I have Woodleigh 180 gr PP SN and Nosler 210 gr Partitions on hand. I also picked up a box of Sierra 215 gr GameKings at a recent auction.

Just be cautious with the 210 grain Nosler. It is an excellent bullet in the 338 caliber, but I saw that a few of our members on this forum had fragmentation issues with it when it was used in faster/bigger 338 cartridges at close range. At longer ranges no issues even in the faster 338's with the 210 NP. However, I don't think it will be an issue at closer with the 338-06 with it's milder velocities at all, unless it is an extremely hot load.

Shooting ranges in the Eastern Cape and Karoo are usually longer shots, accept maybe in some coastal areas in the Eastern Cape.

What say you?
@jpr9954
I have a nice zies Terra 3 to 9 on Mr Whelen Savage or you could step up to a meopta optical 2 to10x44. Either would do nicely and perform any thing from up close to out to as far as you need.
Bob

@jpr9954
I have a nice zies Terra 3 to 9 on Mr Whelen Savage or you could step up to a meopta optical 2 to10x44. Either would do nicely and perform any thing from up close to out to as far as you need.
Bob
It is actually a Meopta Optika 5 that I was considering mounting on it. I am suffering from an embarrassment of riches with regard to scopes right now. I see a good deal and buy it figuring I'll find a use for it.

It is actually a Meopta Optika 5 that I was considering mounting on it. I am suffering from an embarrassment of riches with regard to scopes right now. I see a good deal and buy it figuring I'll find a use for it.
@jpr9954
You won't go wrong with an optical 5.
It was a 18month with in Australia when I wanted one so ended up with the ziess Terra.
I have a meopta 3.5 to 10 on my 22K hornet and a 3.5 to 10 meopta bdc on my 25. The beauty of the bdc is you can go on their Web sight input all the ballistics and it gives you the marks to use. I tried it out to 500 using the hash marks and firs shot was on the money. I don't shoot game at that distance but it's nice to know I have a n out fit that can do it if I ever need it.
Bob

What say you?
I’d go with the 2-10x. You aren’t hunting DG so 1x probably won’t be needed. You may encounter some of the T10 and other small antelope, possibly at 250yds +. The higher magnification may come in handy. If you do have to go into thick stuff, 2x isn’t a huge detriment.
I have a 9.3x62 that I decided 1-6x wasn’t enough magnification and opted for a 1-8x but may still switch it to a 2-10x for the reasons mentioned.

Something interesting for members. The. 338 Umfezi is a caliber designed by South African Chris van Niekerk in Paarl, Cape Town. He did extensive load developments on this caliber.It is based on a 8x68 brass neck up to a. 338 caliber

I am fortunate to have a reamer /dies as well as a Brux 30"inch barrel for a rifle build, I really am looking forward to see what this. 338 Umfezi is capable of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tope

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!