Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
So, while doing research which has become routine,I came across the 8.5x63... It's effectively a 9.3x62 necked down to .338, but achieved by necking up a 7mm brenneke and adjusting the shoulder. South Africa have something almost identical called the .338 sabi. Does anyone have any information or experience on the above cartridges? I'm putting together a "I need to invest in these before anything else" list and a .338 that throws a 300gr bullet at just under 2400 ft/s is seriously attractive considering I live in the extreme north of Gauteng. Ps, not interested in a .338 win mag, never had a good experience with such.

I have one that I picked up in a package deal. I've shot it but never used it for hunting. Quality Cartridge makes proper head stamped brass. Seems like what Rocky Gibbs would have done if he made a 338.

Have a good look at the 338-06 (basically the same thing as the 338 SABI) just more popular and dies are relatively easy to get.

Almost identical ballistics - great cartridges in every respect.

I have one that I picked up in a package deal. I've shot it but never used it for hunting. Quality Cartridge makes proper head stamped brass. Seems like what Rocky Gibbs would have done if he made a 338.
Might I ask what velocities and loads you are running?

338 Win Mag is one of my favorite. I have a Ruger Hawkeye and a Browning BAR. Both are accurate.

Since you want to throw a 300 gr @ 2400 fps, why not look at the 340 Weatherby. According to the results in this article, you could achieve that and then some. http://www.realguns.com/articles/633.htm

338 Win Mag is one of my favorite. I have a Ruger Hawkeye and a Browning BAR. Both are accurate.

Since you want to throw a 300 gr @ 2400 fps, why not look at the 340 Weatherby. According to the results in this article, you could achieve that and then some. http://www.realguns.com/articles/633.htm
Cheers for that! I'm actually looking for a bushveld rifle at present, so 2300/2400 ft/s with the 300gr is all I will need, but it is definitely an option at a latter stage. Certain firearms just don't agree with certain people. My list runs: .223 rem, .243 win,.30-06, .338 win mag... Which is a pitty, because my life would be A LOT simpler if I liked them :p

@spike.t, I will eventually have a .375 H&H passed down to me by my mentor... The 9.3 mauser was indeed on the menu, but I can't justify it knowing the .375 will one day be passed onto me.

Something I have learned, and IMHO each caliber has its favorite bullet .

I recently tried to load a 350g in my .458 Lott , I eventually gave up because if I want to shoot a bullet in the 300's I would rather grab my 375 , what the 375 is made for.

So the point I am trying to make is if you want to shoot a 300g bullet at 2400 , rather use a 375 .

Something I have learned, and IMHO each caliber has its favorite bullet .

I recently tried to load a 350g in my .458 Lott , I eventually gave up because if I want to shoot a bullet in the 300's I would rather grab my 375 , what the 375 is made for.

So the point I am trying to make is if you want to shoot a 300g bullet at 2400 , rather use a 375 .
Think that is indeed a fair point. Perhaps I need to reevaluate. Thank you!

I have some 300gr 338 bullets.
After years for testing and such "I" have decided that there is no need for a bullet heavier than 225 or max 250grs in a 338 with modern better bullets such a Swift A-Frame. Even in larger cases that the 338win mag which I have friends who own them. Me? The 338win mag has done everything I have asked it to do super well with 210gr Nosler Partition or Swift Scirocco bullets or 225gr Swift A-Frame.

But that is just me.:)

I have some 300gr 338 bullets.
After years for testing and such "I" have decided that there is no need for a bullet heavier than 225 or max 250grs in a 338 with modern better bullets such a Swift A-Frame. Even in larger cases that the 338win mag which I have friends who own them. Me? The 338win mag has done everything I have asked it to do super well with 210gr Nosler Partition or Swift Scirocco bullets or 225gr Swift A-Frame.

But that is just me.:)

This I agree with 100% , the 250g in 338wm is a really hard hitting combination.

Well just to liven up the ideas how about a 9.3x74 double. Mine does 2350fps with a 300gr Aframe. Reloaded northfork cupped solids to the same point of impact.

@spike.t, I will eventually have a .375 H&H passed down to me by my mentor... The 9.3 mauser was indeed on the menu, but I can't justify it knowing the .375 will one day be passed onto me.

hi if you are going to end up with a .375, then why bother with anything else as that shoots 300 grn bullets at 2400......?

I am a .338 fan. So much that I have a WM and a Federal. Love the versatility and wide range of bullet selections. That said, I have the same question as Spike, if your going to shoot 300g in a .375 why mess around with a .338? You can pretty much do anything with a .375 that you can do with .338 unless you want the flexibility to shoot 165-225 grain bullets also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MajorBirds

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.