.338 what?

Alexandro: You mentioned "I'm actually looking for a bushveld rifle at present, so 2300/2400 ft/s with the 300gr is all I will need."

Is a "bushveld rifle" similar to what we in the US refer to as a "brush gun?" Perhaps a shorter barreled rifle, quick and easy handling and typically shorter shots. If this is the case, the 20 inch barreled, 375 Ruger fits the bill and some reduced loads can push a 300 gr bullet in the 2300 fps range. Savage makes a short barreled called the Alaskan Brush Hunter and it comes in 338 WM or 375 Ruger. The CZ550 FS in 9.3 would seem to slick handling rifle too.

This I agree with 100% , the 250g in 338wm is a really hard hitting combination.

I agree with this also. I've tried 225, 250 and 275 gr bullets and 225 give the best overall performance. The 250 work well, but the combo of the 275 gr velocity and the twist rate on the barrel just didn't work as well.

Try a .338 federal. I got to shoot some hogs with one and I have fallen in love. If you want something with a little more punch, my friend has a CZ550 in .338 Lapua Improved. Now that has some serious heat... :)

So, while doing research which has become routine,I came across the 8.5x63... It's effectively a 9.3x62 necked down to .338, but achieved by necking up a 7mm brenneke and adjusting the shoulder. South Africa have something almost identical called the .338 sabi. Does anyone have any information or experience on the above cartridges? I'm putting together a "I need to invest in these before anything else" list and a .338 that throws a 300gr bullet at just under 2400 ft/s is seriously attractive considering I live in the extreme north of Gauteng. Ps, not interested in a .338 win mag, never had a good experience with such.[/QUOT

The 338 sabi is an excellent bushveld calibre. I have used it with great success on large pg. It is really plesent to shoot and a very good performing calibre for african pg

Something I have learned, and IMHO each caliber has its favorite bullet .

I recently tried to load a 350g in my .458 Lott , I eventually gave up because if I want to shoot a bullet in the 300's I would rather grab my 375 , what the 375 is made for.

So the point I am trying to make is if you want to shoot a 300g bullet at 2400 , rather use a 375 .

Larry I think you put this very well!

I confess to never having heard of this round, but after looking it up I see what it is. Basically a .338/06 in almost every way, especially performance. That is to say a very good round! I only own the Win mag version but as it is more flexible than the smaller versions, it gets the nod.

Cheers for that! I'm actually looking for a bushveld rifle at present, so 2300/2400 ft/s with the 300gr is all I will need, but it is definitely an option at a latter stage. Certain firearms just don't agree with certain people. My list runs: .223 rem, .243 win,.30-06, .338 win mag... Which is a pitty, because my life would be A LOT simpler if I liked them :p
@Alexandro Faria
It's a pity you are stuck on the 338s
You can load the 35 Whelen to 2,400fps with 310gn Woodleigh RNSP and 2,600fps with the 275s.
That puts muzzle energy over 4,000fpe.
Just a thought.
Bob

I have multiple 338’s, love all of them for different reasons, one thing they all have in common is when the appropriate 338 cartridge is chosen for the animal they work. I can’t imagine why a 338WM doesn’t fit the Bill. The 338RUM loaded properly will work on anything I can imagine killing short of Rhino or Ele. I’m certain with the right bullet and if the law allowed would kill them just fine. The 9.3x64 is also a fine cartridge that as far as I’m concerned needs neither necked up or down. Have fun building that 338

I find that my Ruger MkII .338 win shoots 250 gr bullets wonderfully, lighter ones not so much. I have several rifles, but when I seriously want to kill something, it's the one I grab. It just works so good.

How fast does the 338 WM move the 300 grain bullet? I think I'd go to the 340 Weatherby if you want to move that bullet with ease. The 338 WM is a balanced cartridge, with discreet but sufficient performance, a non-shrill cartridge. You have to know it to know its limits, if you want more or choose the 340 Weatherby or 338 RUM or jump to the 375. It is my humble opinion.

For the person who cannot get his .458 Lott to shoot 350 grain bullets, have you tried NF 350 SS?

Both of my 45-90 rifles shoot the NF 350SS very well. My Beretta .458 DR was regulated with them and can drive tacks at 45 and 100 yards. Have yet to try longer shot than 100 yards.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
And of course, my 1886 45-90 shoots most weights very well.
In Africa it was a real Kills-All with North Fork and Punch 450 grain solids at 2150 fps. So, what is not to like?
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote to at least look at the 338-06. Will do everything you want to do up to the need for a 375HH. Easy to reload, common components and dies. Or just go straight to the 375HH as has been suggested and is as universal and easy as it gets. The answer hiding in plain sight.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen brought this thread back from the dead just to suggest the Whelen. The funny thing is it took him about six years to remember. Hi Bob!

The OP doesn't like .223, .243, or .30-06 so who knows what's going to reach him...I'm inclined to agree on the .338, but the rest of it is madness.

I'm pretty sure the .375 H&H is the ready answer for a lot of things. If a man has 20 rounds of .375 and a functional rifle, he has few worries in the world.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen brought this thread back from the dead just to suggest the Whelen. The funny thing is it took him about six years to remember. Hi Bob!

The OP doesn't like .223, .243, or .30-06 so who knows what's going to reach him...I'm inclined to agree on the .338, but the rest of it is madness.

I'm pretty sure the .375 H&H is the ready answer for a lot of things. If a man has 20 rounds of .375 and a functional rifle, he has few worries in the world.
And you can load it to 9.3×62, or even down to .38-55WCF if youd like.

How fast does the 338 WM move the 300 grain bullet? I think I'd go to the 340 Weatherby if you want to move that bullet with ease. The 338 WM is a balanced cartridge, with discreet but sufficient performance, a non-shrill cartridge. You have to know it to know its limits, if you want more or choose the 340 Weatherby or 338 RUM or jump to the 375. It is my humble opinion.
It takes 1/10 twist for a 338 bullet weighing over 250gr to stabilize . Wby's got 1/10 twist.
Krish

And you can load it to 9.3×62, or even down to .38-55WCF if youd like.
Uh ohh...those nine point three'rs aren't going to like their beloved chambering chastised in such a manner. Oh well...SNL(sometimes not legal).
I'm going to be loading my 3-7-5 down soon enough. The curtain climber that inhabits the realm will likely not be satisfied with a .243 forever...I can hear @Bob Nelson 35Whelen feverishly dialing long distance to Child Services...I mean a .308/.30-06...no I'm not getting a Whelen...:E Lol:

@Forrest Halley
You and @CoElkHunter must be drinking from the same cool aid fountain loaded with silly juice.
For both of you to recommend the little 338WM over the Whelen is almost as silly as recommending the 243 as a hunting cartridge.
At least @CoElkHunter has seen the light and got himself a 25-06.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcdowall

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!