.338-06 or .35 Whelen

Our Texas oryx must be a far more dangerous subspecies than those found in Southern Africa! :oops: o_O
The ones in Africa will obviously do the exact same thing and possibly worse if given the chance! Never at distance but up close if they feel cornered... Now to test the Arabians!

And another thing!

I am keeping a .30-06 in my battery, because it’s just that good of a cartridge to have. Plus, you just have to go with a winner, sometimes.

And, I have in my battery an 8x57 Mauser, that is an equal to the ‘06.
So, I think I am set for hunting.

Hawk
That and in the event the Chinese pay a visit!

Our Texas oryx must be a far more dangerous subspecies than those found in Southern Africa! :oops: o_O

The ones in Africa will obviously do the exact same thing and possibly worse if given the chance! Never at distance but up close if they feel cornered... Now to test the Arabians!

That and in the event the Chinese pay a visit!

This is true!

I may be an old, ex military man, but I can still take out quite a few of them at longer ranges than they would suspect. Especially with my 6.5x55!

Hawk

:E Laugh::E Lol:Possibly hooked by one wounded on the ground? Injured during an animal transfer? Sure - absolutely can happen. Several incidents with whitetail every year doing the same thing. But charging gemsbuck?!!? We must have a new nominee for the Big Five or Dangerous Seven. One running through a group of people who were knocked aside or fell into a thorn bush by an escaping animal is hardly the same as standing face to face with an enraged lion, buffalo, or elephant.

I went with the .338-06 myself. Easy to reload, odd6 brass readily available and great bullet selection. Ralf Martini built me this one on a military FN action. 200gr NBT worked well on my 2020 bull elk. Recoil is mild too I gotta say…

8FCE519B-C0E1-4E5E-A38E-4C92F49E19DC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with the .338-06 myself. Easy to reload, odd6 brass readily available and great bullet selection. Ralf Martini built me this one on a military FN action. 200gr NBT worked well on my 2020 bull elk. Recoil is mild too I gotta say…

View attachment 415803

Do you know what velocities your 200 gr bullets are going?

Just curious.

That sure is a nice elk you took there!

Hawk

Holy !!!

That’s good performance there!!

Do you usually use the 185gr Hornady bullets?

Hawk
Couldn't get other monos so decided to give the GMX's ago. Shoot very well in my rifle and are great on game mostly shoot pigs They are a bit hard on brumbies unless you hit bone.
looking forward to using them on sambar.
tried woodleighs in 180 and 200, liked the 200's. But staying with the 185 GMX's.

recovered offside young buff bull
fWzXYM.jpg

shoulder to shoulder large boar 185 gmx
WA92UZ.jpg
XaFAon.jpg

Do you know what velocities your 200 gr bullets are going?

Just curious.

That sure is a nice elk you took there!

Hawk
Never measured the 200BT’s but I did for the Speer 200SP loaded to max(imr4064) with a 23.5” barrel. The speers were at 2773fps…way back in the late 90’s. BT’s should be close…not enough difference for me to worry about measuring … The elk was taken on the first hunt option in the cypress hills park in southern Alberta …a 13 year wait for me…sure enjoyed that adventure…

I’m having a serious conundrum going on.

I have my project Savage 111, but I have been pricing aftermarket switch barrels.
The .35 Whelen barrel, a 24 inch, 1 in 14 inch twist = $239
I found a .338-06 barrel, 24 inch, 1-10 inch twist = $206

I know, that both are pretty much equal when it comes to performance.

So what do you guys have to say?

I already know what Bob is going to say- that’s a given. LOL

Hawk
I have had both but prefer the 338-06
225gr Nosler Part and Reloader 17 in WW brass most excellent.

The advantage of the 35 whelen is the availability of softer bullets for lighter game or downloading for less recoil. There aren't very many 338 projectiles that will reliably expand from a 338-06 unless you max out its loading. For hunting it matters. I went 35 whelen after weighing this question for several years, and while I haven't taken game with my rifle yet, I am confident I made the right choice FOR ME. Ymmv, and it is really a 6 in one hand /half dozen in the other if we are talking max loads. Truthfully thae 30-06 can do the job of both too, and 35 whelen is a big enough difference in diameter to matter to me.

I definitely went with the .35 Whelen for my first project.

I was going to go with the .338-06 for my second project, but the ER Shaw barrel kit already sold. So, looks like I’m sending the barreled action off to have it rebored to 9.3x62.

Hawk

I definitely went with the .35 Whelen for my first project.

I was going to go with the .338-06 for my second project, but the ER Shaw barrel kit already sold. So, looks like I’m sending the barreled action off to have it rebored to 9.3x62.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
If it is a Savage just send the barrel and install the 35 barrel while you are waiting and have some fun
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg