AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, Canada (Sask, BC, NWT, Nunavut), US (NY, PA, TX, CO, NE, SD, ID, AK)
I receive this from Motsomi Safaris today. Obviously, very, very serious.

Update on Marco:

Marco had his fourth surgery in 10days yesterday trying to fix holes in his intestines, his condition is still critical. He also had internal bleeding due to the horn rupturing his aorta going to his left leg. The current challenge is to get the septicemia under control and to get him of the ventilator.

We praise God for holding Marco in the palm of His hand. Please keep Marco and his family in your daily prayers for its still a very long road to recovery!

MARCO's ACCIDENT:

This was the message we posted to all our Motsomi Friends/Family:

"Marco was stabbed by a gemsbuck in the gut and got hurt badly yesterday (6 June 2021), he was airlifted from the incident and again to a bigger hospital. He had several major surgeries since yesterday trying to stop the internal bleeding from the main artery to his left leg as well as to fix internal injuries. We will keep you all posted but ask you to please keep him and Clarissa in your prayers."

when i shoot my gemsbok, my ph said we will not get close untill we know its dead for sure. at the time i didn,t think to much about it.

DSCN8661 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Praying for his recovery.
Walking up towards a gemsbok that hasn’t totally expired and seeing those long spikes is very intimidating. A good reason for a “finisher”.

"On June 5th 32 year old South African PH Marco Schoonwinkel was critically injured by a gemsbok during a game capture and relocation project. He was gored in the intestines and suffered injury to his spinal column. He is in intensive care in a Pretoria hospital. He has a wife who is expecting and a young child."

This is the other info I read.

When I shot mine my PH told me to stay well clear. He told me about another hunter who thought his gemsbok was dead and ran right up to it. He came in from behind but the animal had life enough to make a last thrust and caught the hunter in the chest. Killed him instantly with a stab through the heart. That is one animal you don't want to come up behind unless you are damned sure it really is good and dead.

That is a shame and I hope he recovers fully and can enjoy the birth of his child. Everything with or without horns can definitely be dangerous to deal with . Most are pros at using their horns to fight and can be surprisingly accurate. My prayers for speedy recovery

Hoping that he pulls through. As others have stated, when I hunted my gemsbok, my PH had me put one into its chest from 5yds to make double sure its would stay down. I remember him saying Gemsbok and kudu know where the business end of their horns are.

I think I read that it wasn't even a hunting accident but happened when trying to transfer the animals to a different property.

Good luck to him, his family and the doctors.
You are correct. It was a roundup to relocate some Gemsbok. Marco is a very good friend a outstanding PH. A gentleman and a great man. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking what he and his family are going thru.

When I shot mine, we walked up on it, it got up, put it’s head down, I said Oh Shit, prepared to shoot, but luckily he fell over and died.

I would not want to fool with a live one.

Good idea

Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

He will be in my prayers. All of the Oryx; gemsbok, Scimitar, etc… are not to be taken lightly. They are extremely dangerous wounded, cornered, or in defense of calves. I watched a gemsbok bull take out two trailer tires with one hit puncturing the sidewalls on both tires with one whack. He chased everyone up in the pickup bed and on top of the trailer then trotted off.

Never nice to hear of something like this! We hope he makes a full recovery!!!

Kind regards,
Dempsey & Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go789click

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois