.338-06 or .35 Whelen

Although I prefer the idea of the .338/06 as I have a soft spot for .338’s, personally I’d choose the .35. Although you can readily form either out of .30/06 brass, there are more sources of .35 Whelen brass which may come in to play to have properly headstamped brass.

I’ve been kicking the idea of building one or the other around myself and have pretty much settled on the Whelen because of factory ammunition, proper head stamped cases and Bob Nelson.

Well….

Yes, we can’t forget about Bob. Can we? LOL

Hawk

Although I see IvW’s point on the action, one of the most accurate rifles I own is a Savage 112v in .22-250. Savage makes an incredibly accurate rifle. One of the last great deals in shooting.

I’m having a serious conundrum going on.

I have my project Savage 111, but I have been pricing aftermarket switch barrels.
The .35 Whelen barrel, a 24 inch, 1 in 14 inch twist = $239
I found a .338-06 barrel, 24 inch, 1-10 inch twist = $206

I know, that both are pretty much equal when it comes to performance.

So what do you guys have to say?

I already know what Bob is going to say- that’s a given. LOL

Hawk
Your project is very commendable and the Savage 110/111s are great rifles for the price. But, I see dollar signs floating in the air from your project. For the average price of the Savage and an extra barrel, I would be looking at a Browning A or X bolt in .338WM for about the same price. But, I'm partial to that brand and cartridge in a PG rifle. If you must travel down your current Savage build path, I would go with the .35 Whelen as dies will be easier to find by a long shot. And, you'll make Bob a very happy nimrod. Ha! Ha! Ha!

I did a 338-06 conversion on a Savage 110 a few years back with great results the group was at 200meters
P101E0027.JPG

I put an ER Shaw 338-06 barrel on an older Savage 110C about a year ago. It shoots fine. I’ve been Hornady 200 grain spire points and BLC2 and getting 2800 FPS with loads that are a couple of grains below the maximum listed charge. The only thing that I don’t like about the rifle is the balance. Because of the heavy weight of the 24” barrel it is very muzzle heavy. I’ve been thinking about cutting it down to 20 or 21 inches to improve the handling but I don’t want to loose too much velocity. I plan to use it for feral hogs so it won’t be a long range gun. I have a 35 Whelen with a 25 inch barrel that handles fine because of the lighter profile barrel. I didn’t realize the Shaw barrel was such a heavy profile.

I personally like the 338/06 as it can do it all with proper bullets from 160gr up & I get unreal velocity out of my Weatherby UL, I even have two more barrels lol .

I also have a 9.3X62 or two, three & very much like this cartridge to, to me it depends on what size & type of game you are hunting most & where. internationally I prefer the 9.3X62 as ammo is available in most areas .

We presume you reload as if you don't it is the .35 Whelen of those two & if traveling to hunt bigger game I think it would be the 9.3X62 ?
I personally like the 338/06 as it can do it all with proper bullets from 160gr up & I get unreal velocity out of my Weatherby UL, I even have two more barrels lol .

I also have a 9.3X62 or two, three & very much like this cartridge to, to me it depends on what size & type of game you are hunting most & where. internationally I prefer the 9.3X62 as ammo is available in most areas .

We presume you reload as if you don't it is the .35 Whelen of those two & if traveling to hunt bigger game I think it would be the 9.3X62 ?
The 338 was standardized by a-square so factory ammo is available if desired.

Although I prefer the idea of the .338/06 as I have a soft spot for .338’s, personally I’d choose the .35. Although you can readily form either out of .30/06 brass, there are more sources of .35 Whelen brass which may come in to play to have properly headstamped brass.
Plenty of factory head stamped 338 06 brass out there Hornady weatherby Norma etc

Plenty of factory head stamped 338 06 brass out there Hornady weatherby Norma

Plenty of factory head stamped 338 06 brass out there Hornady weatherby Norma
True bud & I love the 338/06, most folks under load it to I reckon, but to be fair far more factory loaded 35 Whelen (9.3X63 as well) ammo in the US any way, not in NZ as next to none, similar to 338/06, both are rare here (338/06 rarer) but on the projectile front, I load mine very near "Factory 338Win" in the lighter weights any way.

Don't forget there are bullets made for 338 Federal & 338 RCM of Ruger not just the Win Mag .

Never had a problem shooting any bullets out of a 338 06 a-sq Wby from 160 to 300 grains though it has its range limitations in Africa due to the much more toughly constructed PG. As mentioned before I prefer something hotter. For thin-skinned deer black bear elk in America no problemo.

Have had two of each. Now only a 338-06. Not that the Whelen was bad or deficient… to the contrary.

But my logic questioned having a tweener like the Whelen along with a couple of 375 HHs. The same question would apply to having a 9.3 and a 375? Or having both a Whelen and a 9.3??

Also, I think the 338-06 has benefited greatly because of the bullet choices spawned by the popularity of the 338 WM. A lot of the 338 bullets will be tougher because of the ballistics of WM.

No matter, either choice would be a good one. :) And if you’re feeling adventurous… why not the ballistic twin of the 338-06 the 318 WR. Talk about some history in Africa!

I forgot to mention that most of my hunting is going to be done here in North America.
If I ever do get the chance of going to Africa, I would get a .375 Ruger, or H&H, and use my .30-06, or 7x57.
If I choose the Whelen, I might take that.

Hawk

Ive got a rem 700 338-06 build (previous owner built by David Kerr) Great calibre for Aus I run mine with the light 185gr GMX projectiles About ideal for most game here mostly use it on medium game with the occasional buff.
Great cal for quick work on pigs.
Heres a couple of pics. Cheers Mick
6uhBnO.jpg
Ipy7Zs.jpg
0GW1is.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive got a rem 700 338-06 build (previous owner built by David Kerr) Great calibre for Aus I run mine with the light 185gr GMX projectiles About ideal for most game here mostly use it on medium game with the occasional buff.
Great cal for quick work on pigs.
Heres a couple of pics. Cheers Mick
View attachment 413847View attachment 413848View attachment 413846
That's quite impressive!

Love the photos.

I'm thinking that whichever I choose, I'm going to go on a micro safari here in Texas, where I can get a feel of what the .338-06 or .35 Whelen can do.

There are ranches around me that have Nilgai on them, and I can't think of a better way to test my entire setup than that.

Nilgai are large, and extremely tough.
Apparently, very good eating as well.

Hawk

That's quite impressive!

Love the photos.

I'm thinking that whichever I choose, I'm going to go on a micro safari here in Texas, where I can get a feel of what the .338-06 or .35 Whelen can do.

There are ranches around me that have Nilgai on them, and I can't think of a better way to test my entire setup than that.

Nilgai are large, and extremely tough.
Apparently, very good eating as well.

Hawk
Let me know if you find a good deal on nilgai. I'd like to get down there myself.

Let me know if you find a good deal on nilgai. I'd like to get down there myself.
I certainly will let you know.

There's plenty of hogs here too. That could be a lot of fun blasting oinkers left and right, too!

Hawk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois