325 WSM

@MS 9x56
Don't you mean a beltless 8mm rem mag.
Hello bells Josephine even the Whelen loaded properly is better than those fire breathing monsters
Bob

I don’t know Bob, I’m getting 2,900 fps with a 200 gr spitzer and am nowhere near max. Rifle is shooting sub 1/2 moa. I’m not a huge proponent of the .325, but I have to admit, it is growing on me.

I don’t know Bob, I’m getting 2,900 fps with a 200 gr spitzer and am nowhere near max. Rifle is shooting sub 1/2 moa. I’m not a huge proponent of the .325, but I have to admit, it is growing on me.
@WAB
I'm getting a tad over 2,900 with both the 225gn Woodleigh and accubonds with around 6 or more
grains less powder.
Can't sneeze at that
Bob

I like the .323 cal, been playing with the 8x64 now for a while and while I havent chronoed anything yet, I suspect I am pushing 2700 with a 220 SGK.
I figure its right between the '06 and the Whelen for power.

If you can't handle the recoil of a 325 WSM or 338 Win Mag it's time take up golf or lawn bowls
@cperso
You don't need to handle the recoil of the 325 or 338WM you just need a good Whelen to do everything those two do and then some.
Bob

@MS 9x56
Don't you mean a beltless 8mm rem mag.
Hello bells Josephine even the Whelen loaded properly is better than those fire breathing monsters
Bob
Thank you Bob that was the cartridge I was thinking of. A favorite of Mr. Boddington who never met a magnum he didn’t love. Although I noticed he must be mellowing in his old age as I read somewhere he was recently using a 30-30 winchester for whitetails. It’s hell getting older too many cartridges dancing around in my head can’t keep them all straight. Appreciate the assist.

I have used a 325WSM in a Browning stainless A-Bolt II with a 23 inch barrel. I do reload and found Reloader 17 gave me the best accuracy. Lately brass for the 325 has been more common than it was say 4 or 5 years ago. Like someone mentioned, I think they have occasional runs of less common calibers. I like the 200gr accubonds and the 200gr nosler partitions. I have had one shot kills on black bear in North America. Of the four African plains game I shot from 100 to 263 measured yards, only the mountain zebra needed more than on shot. On my chrony the accubonds average 2861 fps and the partitions average slightly slower at 2840. I find the recoil acceptable and I'm 71 and 170 lbs and 5'10. When you shoot a magnum type rifle there will always be more muzzle blast than standard calibers. But if you are not using a muzzle break I don't find it too much. My farmer friend has shot elk in Wyoming and New Mexico with factory 200gr accubonds with excellent success. What is not to like with the 325? Flat shooting and fast like a 270, serious energy out past 300 yards, lighter recoil than a 338, with bigger frontal area than any 30 caliber.

I have used a 325WSM in a Browning stainless A-Bolt II with a 23 inch barrel. I do reload and found Reloader 17 gave me the best accuracy. Lately brass for the 325 has been more common than it was say 4 or 5 years ago. Like someone mentioned, I think they have occasional runs of less common calibers. I like the 200gr accubonds and the 200gr nosler partitions. I have had one shot kills on black bear in North America. Of the four African plains game I shot from 100 to 263 measured yards, only the mountain zebra needed more than on shot. On my chrony the accubonds average 2861 fps and the partitions average slightly slower at 2840. I find the recoil acceptable and I'm 71 and 170 lbs and 5'10. When you shoot a magnum type rifle there will always be more muzzle blast than standard calibers. But if you are not using a muzzle break I don't find it too much. My farmer friend has shot elk in Wyoming and New Mexico with factory 200gr accubonds with excellent success. What is not to like with the 325? Flat shooting and fast like a 270, serious energy out past 300 yards, lighter recoil than a 338, with bigger frontal area than any 30 caliber.
I like the 325 WSM and a sizable boat load of other cartridges. In my opinion the 325cartridge.
A good 200 grain 8mm bullet with a bc of near .400 and above, with a muzzle velocity of the 2800 fps and upwards should be a respectable killer with decent trajectory to 300 yards. Regardless of the brass that bullet comes out of.
I think some are still pissed because short & fat cartridges exist, and some because the 325 is not a .338.
The 325 WSM Kimber Montana, in my case, makes for a lighter weight type rifle with sufficient ballistics for my use. I don't find the recoil an issue. I have always thought it would be a great cartridge for elk type game.
Being more of a short range hunter, I would choose the 8mm WSM over any of the .308 & smaller caliber magnum & non-magnum cartridges that I have in most circumstances. Not saying that the outcome would be different, just my preference.

I like the 325 WSM and a sizable boat load of other cartridges. In my opinion the 325cartridge.
A good 200 grain 8mm bullet with a bc of near .400 and above, with a muzzle velocity of the 2800 fps and upwards should be a respectable killer with decent trajectory to 300 yards. Regardless of the brass that bullet comes out of.
I think some are still pissed because short & fat cartridges exist, and some because the 325 is not a .338.
The 325 WSM Kimber Montana, in my case, makes for a lighter weight type rifle with sufficient ballistics for my use. I don't find the recoil an issue. I have always thought it would be a great cartridge for elk type game.
Being more of a short range hunter, I would choose the 8mm WSM over any of the .308 & smaller caliber magnum & non-magnum cartridges that I have in most circumstances. Not saying that the outcome would be different, just my preference.
I have both 325WSM and 338Win Mag and there isn't a lot of difference ....Both excellent killers and a noticeable step up from the 30 cal brigade IMO

I have both 325WSM and 338Win Mag and there isn't a lot of difference ....Both excellent killers and a noticeable step up from the 30 cal brigade IMO
@cperson
I have a properly loaded whelen and that's a step up from both of them.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

@cperson
I have a properly loaded whelen and that's a step up from both of them.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
Yes Bob,
And I have a 375h&h and 416RM which is a step up on the Whelan and so on and so on but that wasn't my point:giggle:

I still a fan of the cartridge. Though have not had the time to work with my 325 WSMs.

Hell, I just rescued another 325 from the local gun shop. This one is a New Haven M70 stainless classic super grade. It is bedded into what appears to be a Bell & Carlson stock with the aluminum.

The barrel has been ported, which will be cut off. I am undecided on final length. It looks like 22.75" would be the longest achievable. It will be cut to somewhere between 22 & 22.75".

As of yet, I am undecided on the scope for this rifle. I am leaning towards a 1.5-6x42.

I’m shooting some pretty respectable groups at 600 with my .325. Those 200 gr bullets buck the wind pretty well.

I picked up the M70 325 WSM after the barrel trim. The barrel length ended up at 22-1/2" after cutting off the previous owner's huge shark gill ports. Satisfactory for me, I have a Kimber 325 that I previously had cut to 22-1/4".

everyone likes to say how well this or that worked, and we all know accuracy trumps horsepower every time after all how dead is dead. Owner of many calibers. Kevin
Whatever floats their boat. One upmanship is for the petty minded, narrow minded and immature. I love all my rifles and have enough that they inevitably overlap. So sure one may work better than another for certain situations or better than someone else’s. But it never crosses my mind to tout how good mine is compared to someone else’s. Like you say, dead is dead.

everyone likes to say how well this or that worked, and we all know accuracy trumps horsepower every time after all how dead is dead. Owner of many calibers. Kevin
I get it, I have 10 rifles all in different calibers. But I do have a definite leaning to the heavey end of the scale. I like large holes on two sides. More bleeding less running. Plus I like the thump. That said you are right location of hit trumps all.

Muzzle blast is the bigger concern. I would go with 600mm (23.6") as a minimum. I got the odd whinge when I used my 600mm barreled. 30-06 with M1 ammo BUT people with 26" barreled M17s do not seem to get the same level of complaints when using full power ammo.
Whatever works for you, when sighting in, will be the best option in my opinion. Long barrels can be an issue when debussing from a Land Rover or other small vehicle BUT when hunting ... sighting telescopes and slings catching on bushes and vines are the real, as opposed to imaginary issues.
26” out in the field is not a big deal. Nowadays so many seem to make it sound like it’s a no no. Lol. Heck years ago many folks went afield with them without a peep.

In my mind, there is no right or wrong regarding barrel lengths. Whatever one finds pleasing or acceptable. The same with cartridges / calibers, though I certainly have my personal favorites. Sometimes one's tastes does change.

These days, I consider my rifles with 26" barrels as specific use rifles. I am becoming more fond of 22-22.5" barrels as general purpose. But, I have several 20" barrels that fill this purpose also. Depending on the cartridge 200-300 yard trajectory and velocity for bullet performance is not an issue.
One could also have the exact opposite view, as anything under 26" is special use

The shorter barrels for me are less hassle in transport, the tangles, and ground blinds. The scope hang ups are still there. As to the sling, it stays in my pack unless both of my hands are needed.

I have not chronograph'd the two 325 WSMs and one 338 Winchester that now have ~22.5" barrels yet. But, I don't think lack of velocity is going to be an issue.
Not mine, but I have access to a 20" 338 Winchester that I want to do some velocity comparisons with also. A few years ago, I would have thought nuts !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross