325 WSM

26” out in the field is not a big deal. Nowadays so many seem to make it sound like it’s a no no. Lol. Heck years ago many folks went afield with them without a peep.
I have a 26” barrel on my custom Mauser and it is fine in a stand. I would not take it still hunting in some of the covers I hunt. That is where a short Mannlicher stocked rifle really shines.

I have a 26” barrel on my custom Mauser and it is fine in a stand. I would not take it still hunting in some of the covers I hunt. That is where a short Mannlicher stocked rifle really shines.
I hear ya. One of my shorter barreled Mannlichers is certainly more handy in thick brush. On the other hand I’ve had 26” in thick brush on many occasions with negligible difference. Happy hunting.

...short Mannlicher stocked rifle really shines...

I presume you mean stutzen ?

Mauser (Stoeger), 1939:
Mauser 1939 Stoeger Stutzen.jpg

I presume you mean stutzen ?

Mauser (Stoeger), 1939:
View attachment 517614
You presume correctly. Being a still hunter at heart I became enamored with stutzen rifles for their handling and coming to shoulder with sights aligned traights. When still hunting the shots typically come fast and at fast fleeing critters. You must shoot fast and accurately. These rifles make it easier.

...Being a still hunter at heart I became enamored with stutzen rifles for their handling and coming to shoulder with sights aligned traights. When still hunting the shots typically come fast and at fast fleeing critters. You must shoot fast and accurately. These rifles make it easier.

In 1939 Stoeger would 'remodel' a customer's 'Great War' surplus rifle to stutzen form or sell the DIY kit:

MS ST39  319 Peerless Stocks.jpg

I wonder if anyone in AH land has ever handled a 'Peerless Carbine' conversion?

It would be interesting to know how 'pointable' they were (or weren't?) compared to the Mannlicher Schoenauer. What would be its cast of stock?

Perhaps some decades old review or article would hold the answer.

Thank you Bob that was the cartridge I was thinking of. A favorite of Mr. Boddington who never met a magnum he didn’t love. Although I noticed he must be mellowing in his old age as I read somewhere he was recently using a 30-30 winchester for whitetails. It’s hell getting older too many cartridges dancing around in my head can’t keep them all straight. Appreciate the assist.
For the first time I just checked the ballistics in a calculator for 35 Whelen. It has certainly developed a good reputation being enough shooters use it. Ballistics look good and indicate it’s effective. Then again, what cartridge isn’t? Ironically, a 225 grain(Whelen)vs a 220grain(.325wsm) shows the 325 has noticeably more energy.
I’m not saying the Whelen has less practical effectiveness , but with similar bullet weights the 325wsm has better numbers. Either way, with so much overlap in performance of cartridges available, differences of many are negligible. Slower cartridges with less energy doesn’t mean they are any bit less effective. Just look at the 30-30 that has likely taken as many deer as any cartridge-if not more. Conversely, a faster cartridge with more energy doesn’t mean it is more effective. But after comparing the two , I like the 325wsm. Guess that’s why I ended up with two of them. I’ll pass on the 35 Whelen for now, and try something else.

For the first time I just checked the ballistics in a calculator for 35 Whelen. It has certainly developed a good reputation being enough shooters use it. Ballistics look good and indicate it’s effective. Then again, what cartridge isn’t? Ironically, a 225 grain(Whelen)vs a 220grain(.325wsm) shows the 325 has noticeably more energy.
I’m not saying the Whelen has less practical effectiveness , but with similar bullet weights the 325wsm has better numbers. Either way, with so much overlap in performance of cartridges available, differences of many are negligible. Slower cartridges with less energy doesn’t mean they are any bit less effective. Just look at the 30-30 that has likely taken as many deer as any cartridge-if not more. Conversely, a faster cartridge with more energy doesn’t mean it is more effective. But after comparing the two , I like the 325wsm. Guess that’s why I ended up with two of them. I’ll pass on the 35 Whelen for now, and try something else.
Oops, this was meant as a reply to a statement Bob made.

@Vinootz
The 325 loaded with a 220gn has a muzzle energy of 3,900fpe
The Whelan loaded properly with a 225gn has a muzzle energy of just over 4,000fpe to 4,200fpe.
The 325 lags behind.
Loaded either a 310gn and 4,000fpe the Whelen still out doe the 325wsm
Bob

@Vinootz
The 325 loaded with a 220gn has a muzzle energy of 3,900fpe
The Whelan loaded properly with a 225gn has a muzzle energy of just over 4,000fpe to 4,200fpe.
The 325 lags behind.
Loaded either a 310gn and 4,000fpe the Whelen still out doe the 325wsm
Bob
True, both are good cartridges.

Though to be fair, the farther away from the muzzle the more the fps gap diminishes. Due to nearly all similar section density bullets of 358 & .323; the .323 has a higher bc value. And the .358 is 50-60 grains heavier to have close to the same sd.

Which all of this is more or less splitting hairs. Particularly if you are using a 200 grain .323 & a 225 grain.358.

The biggest advantage of the .358 in my opinion is the frontal area. And of course that can be debated by the .308 fans.

True, both are good cartridges.

Though to be fair, the farther away from the muzzle the more the fps gap diminishes. Due to nearly all similar section density bullets of 358 & .323; the .323 has a higher bc value. And the .358 is 50-60 grains heavier to have close to the same sd.

Which all of this is more or less splitting hairs. Particularly if you are using a 200 grain .323 & a 225 grain.358.

The biggest advantage of the .358 in my opinion is the frontal area. And of course that can be debated by the .308 fans.
That was meant to read:

Though to be fair, the farther away from the muzzle, the more the FPE gap diminishes.

Maybe it’s time I use another ballistic calculator.
@Vinootz
Nah, my calculator works fine, I just load the Whelen to its full potential instead of pissant under loaded factory stuff put out by Remington.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donnie58Q

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!