300 H&H Thoughts

@AZDAVE a question, I noticed some nice guns you made from stocks from Richards Microfit they look very nice. All of the inletting they do have needed little work? The rest of the stock doesn't concern me, I enjoy working with nice woods but the inletting and bedding I have yet to do. The checkering I would love to try but would get someone else to complete.
Thank you
Ed

@Tucketed Yes all of the stocks required final fitting to my barreled action. (some are a little work and some ALLOT depending on the barrel profile) Then glass bed etc to make it completely functional. I am still practicing my checkering I am almost there. Once I get the consistent results on practice wood I have 4 stocks to checker. There are a number of good people that provide checkering services. You will have to do a search and find someone that can give you the quality and patterns you would like. The gentleman I knew that did checkering retired and is enjoying his RV.

Keep it in the original wood unless you are hunting mostly in alaska in the rain and snow. And as we get more mature (Not older) Put the scope you want on it and go make some memories.

In my 300 H&H I did change the stock but went to a super grade stock, as I like beautiful wood and have sandpaper and finish if I bang it up to much.
@AZDAVE
Some of as may mature as we get older some just get older and are still dickheads.
Just ask the so called range experts and listen t o some of the stupid and sometime downright answers.
I may have gotten older but I don't know about wiser. My brain still tell my body I can do things I did 40 years ago. When I do do it my brain says what an idiot and my old body aches in places I'd forgotten existed.
Bob

I’m an “original condition” guy. I agree with others here...use it and if you get a few scars then...well...scars have stories too. Have fun with it!
@RandyF
Some scars are best not having the story told for fear of embarrassment be they on the stock or ones body.
Bob

@AZDAVE
My brain still tell my body I can do things I did 40 years ago. When I do do it my brain says what an idiot
Bob

About 25+ years ago I was in my mid 40s and the church softball team needed a first baseman. So I volunteered. things were going well. I still had my "singles" swing and regularly got on base and was quick on the basepath however my moment of truth came in the field. a power lefthand hitter came to bat. Anticipating a drive along the line I was about 5' off the base. sure enough he hit a line drive about a foot inside the line. In my mind I could see myself dive (fall) toward the line, catch the ball and drop the mitt on the base for the out. What really happened was that I was about halfway in the dive as the ball skipped past me into right field and the runner ended up on either second or third base. That was the last season I played softball. It was a valuable experience because I use it as a measure when my initial response to some challenge is "sure, I can do it". A second thought follows with a re-examination of the facts.

Keep the original stock in its condition and have an additonal new one..... you can switch back to old style when ever you want.....

HWL

Thought I would add a picture of the rifle. With a little help from @Mark Biggerstaff selling some 180 grain Federal Trophy ammo I got out to the range. She shoots right at 1MOA. I also have some ammo from Choice, 180 TTSX and a box of 180 Accubonds which arrived today. I noticed the forearm screw was too tight so hopefully loosening this, a Ernies trigger spring my results should improve. I will stick with the original stock for now and she has already been hunting. Thanks for all of the inputs.
Ed

5AA4EA11-A4F2-4BBC-889E-8933BE3BCCF7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I would add a picture of the rifle. With a little help from @Mark Biggerstaff selling some 180 grain Federal Trophy ammo I got out to the range. She shoots right at 1MOA. I also have some ammo from Choice, 180 TTSX and a box of 180 Accubonds which arrived today. I noticed the forearm screw was too tight so hopefully loosening this, a Ernies trigger spring my results should improve. I will stick with the original stock for now and she has already been hunting. Thanks for all of the inputs.
Ed
@ Tucketed
Beautiful rifle
Bob

Tucketed - Well done sir!

I have a 1950 .300H&H Super Grade; I only wish I knew the stories behind the light marks on the stock and finish.

u29mD4m.jpg

Is this rifle in XX% collector condition?.... I don't know or care, but I do think it's a classic rifle made in a day when quality was the norm and I don't think we should feel guilty about hunting with them; I think we should feel guilty for locking them away!

I’m in the camp to keep it as original. If it had been refinished or jacked with too much, no worries because it has already lost a bunch of value. If it is honest and not refinished, it does have a small premium of collector $value. You may not care if it maintains value now but in the future you might and anyone you pass it to will care.

IMO?? If mine, I’d shoot it and enjoy it.. with care...but only you can decide how to use or destroy its real $ value premium if it currently has some. Right now depending on its condition, it could be valued anywhere between 750 and about 2000+.

All in all, nice dilemma to have :)

It is all original best i can tell. I did buy a used pre64 magnum stock which needs some work. It has a pad on it and needs to be refinished. I’ll try to keep it original looking, be good practice on stock work. I plan to pillar and bed, new Winchester pad, refresh the checkering etc. Not much invested and might be a nice project after the holidays. I’ll keep the original stock in case someone wants to sell it.

Good plan!

Very nice! I have a late XTR LTD run rifle in this cal and was just shooting it yesterday. How did the insides of the stock look?
Often on these older 70's cracks can be found if they havent been glass bedded. I recently found such on a 1953 ( my birth year) 70 in .30-06 that required a couple hours of work to repair, which I did and the GB seller refunded me adequate dollars to do it. Its now a sub MOA shooter.
I agree with the Professor in his bullet choice. We took a Rem 700 Classic to Namibia in 2007 for my brother to use on his one and only safari and it worked very well. Our load drove that bullet (200 gr Partition) to nearly 2900 fps

Hi Jacques
I think my arsenal is getting prepared for the end of Covid. I just need to get somewhere and hunt. Hopefully my kids want dibs on the 404J but your first in-line. Agree with Gin but tonight it’s Rum
Ed

Hi Jacques
I think my arsenal is getting prepared for the end of Covid. I just need to get somewhere and hunt. Hopefully my kids want dibs on the 404J but your first in-line. Agree with Gin but tonight it’s Rum
Ed
@Tucketed
It's a shame y pour don't have access to our famous Australian Bundaberg Rum.
It's the best out by I a m biased
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg