30-06 problem loading

I had the same thing happen with Barnes. I had a bit of a grab with I closed the bolt, I should have stopped, I know better, I blew the primer out and had to tap the bolt open.

Sent the box back to them, they sent me new ammo.

Very similar here. Rounds fired from a 308 and then sized and reloaded worked just fine in that 308.

But the same lot fired first in a 7.62x51 chamber, then resized and reloaded exactly the same were a tight fit in the 308. And the 308 had Sticky Bolt and flattened primers after firing.

The loads I were using were factory. I am not a gunsmith but I can say correcting headspace did fix both a feeding and overpressure problem. Zero issues now with either.
By correcting headspace, do you mean you had the barrel set back or took other mechanical means to alter the rifles chamber?

is the larger neck caused by trying to close the bolt on a round that will not fit the gun??
Thanks for the helpful comments. I did mic the diameter of both cartridges at the neck and found the one that won't load the Rem165 gr core-lokt PSP is .315 diameter while the round that loads a Rem 150 gr bronze point is .310. What should it be?

Obviously not a gunsmith so my terminology may be off. This H&R 30-06 is not main stream for me as I have only fired it on one occasion after I bought it many years ago. Great wood and nice bluing. Very pretty rig. My regular hunting rifle is a Weatherby Accumark in .300 WBY shooting off the shelf Weatherby 180 gr Barnes X now TTSX. Never an issue, it does what it is supposed to do.

This dilemma is very confusing! I doubt factory ammo is the problem but it's possible. That .005" between go and no go ammo might cause the problem. For certain that needs to be sorted out because if ammo that barely fits the chamber neck is fired and the bullet is restricted- pressure may soar. For the neck issue... if you have fired the rifle, simply measure the neck diameter of the fired case and add about .001". That will be close to the diameter of the neck in your chamber. Compare that number to a round that won't chamber. The total difference between a loaded round and the chamber neck diameter for average rifles should be between about .003"-.005". Measuring that will resolve or eliminate the issue of the of ammo neck diameter vs chamber neck diameter. If that is not it then investigate the next group of possibilities with the thought that it may not be the ammo but the chamber itself... bullet jam into the lands or headspace or body diameter or chamber length. Most factory ammo is sized to minimum SAAMI spec so it will fit into most all half way "normal" chambers.

Smoke with candle or Bic lighter or mark with felt tip most of the surface of a loaded round out of the box or group that will not chamber. Carefully attempt to chamber, remove and inspect to see where the obstruction is. Should be able to determine if done correctly and inspected carefully. Bullet land jam will show with small land marks around the shoulder of the ogive of the bullet. Too tight or short a leade or throat will show as a ring around the bullet between the shank and the shoulder of the ojive. Headspace out of spec will show a smudge around the shoulder. Body diameter out of spec usually shows as scuff mark about 2/3 down from the shoulder. And last but not least is the possibility of too short a chamber where the case mouth is contacting the end of the chamber. If fired, with the bullet effectively crimped in at the end of the chamber, expect extreme pressure. That will take careful inspection of the rim of the case mouth to determine if there is contact or not.

That just about covers it. Interested to hear what it turns out to be. These things are always educational, and if resolved, add to the memory banks for future reference.

Last edited:
The OP's problem is with factory ammo from the description of the ammo he was talking about

Well by ending up with factory jacketed bullet measurements ranging from .310" to .315", when most all will be very close to the standard of .308", there may be another problem.

And, depending on neck wall thickness, the loaded neck diameter of 30-06 with jacketed bullets normally runs about .333"-334". I have regularly shot cast bullet loads with the neck diameter as large as .338" without issue given the chamber neck is large enough.

Something is wrong with your measuring. The neck diameter of an unfired case should be about .340". A .310" neck diameter would mean your case walls were only .001" thick.

Yes, something is not making sense. A SAAMI standard chamber neck is .340". A fired case in that diameter chamber will end up about .339"...depending on thickness, hardness and number of times fired. The .001-.002" brass spring back is why a case can be extracted. Add about .001"-.002" to a fired case neck to estimate the rifles chamber neck diameter. The common neck diameter on most of my loaded '06 ammo is about .334" which allows for about .003" clearance (.003" from neck wall to chamber wall). That is about the average for most 30-06 ammo and chambers I've had. The greatest neck diameter I have loaded is a mild cast bullet load where the loaded neck diameter is .338" which allows .001" clearance in a standard .340" chamber- actually too tight for regular high pressure jacketed hunting loads... just no margin for error.

Some 30 cal target rifles will have very tight, custom chambers where the chamber neck may only allow .001" clearance for ammo loaded with .308" bullets. Those usually require custom loading techniques like truing the neck brass and turning it a down a little. Normal factory rifles should not have chambers anywhere near that tight.

Yeah, I got the .340" from a cartridge diagram but I just now measured a .30-06 round and it was .330".

Straighten us out on a few things.

Your problem is with factory ammo right?

And in only one loading?

If it is there is no reason to go to a gunsmith. It is quite likely a lot of ammo that is outside of the specs for it. It has happened before and it will happen again.

The other cart that previously chambered properly and I fired after buying the rig several years ago now will not chamber. It did chamber yesterday. Just don't want to blow my face off if it is a issue with the actual chamber. Bought it from a local one shop guy now out of business that I had dealt with in the past with no issues.
Gunsmith here I come!

Take the ammo that you have problems with also

SAAMI Standard:
1601689392560.png

I know such exist, but not a common item on the reloader bench, where the dial caliper is much more common and much quicker in use.(y)

I got to the problem of my 30-06 not loading and feel like an idiot. I was trying to load one at a time and not engaging the magazine. Occam's Razor at its finest.
Thanks to all for your great comments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianguisy

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,