.30-06 and 165gr Bullets, what powder?

that is an outstanding group, closer to a benchrest gun than a hunting rifle. well done
That's a sub MOA group at 200! Which means basically all in one hole at 100!!! Very impressive!

Last edited by a moderator:
H4350 is my go to powder for my 168gr TTSX loads. Nothing shoots this bullet better in my 3 M70s in this caliber. 56 grains gets me 2840fps, and boringly repeatable sub MOA accuracy in all temp extremes, even from my pre-64 with a 60 year-old barrel!

H4350 is my go to powder for my 168gr TTSX loads. Nothing shoots this bullet better in my 3 M70s in this caliber. 56 grains gets me 2840fps, and boringly repeatable sub MOA accuracy in all temp extremes, even from my pre-64 with a 60 year-old barrel!
(y)(y)
You are right!... Very good powder!... I had the same success !

My go to hunting load for a 30-06 is a 180 Gr Hornady Round Nose Bullet over 54.7 Gr. of Win. 760 seated so they just clear the lands. I've only used this load on White Tails under 200 yards. In the past I've shot many 10 shot groups well under an inch. Now days I fire one shot at a range to check my zero and one shot to drop my deer. I haven't had to move my sights in almost 30 years. This load was developed for a Remington 742 I haven't seen any reason to change it, although in other rifles it does not group quite as well. Hunting accuracy has never been in question no matter which rifle I shoot it in. The round nose bullet provides a lot of bearing surface. At woods ranges it is more accurate than the pointed bullets I've occasionally tried.

I have a question for you. If your wife is somewhat recoil shy, why are you wanting her to use a 30-06? Why not something like a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser or a 7mm-08. There are some schools of thought believe that the recoil from an 0-6 is about the maximum most folks can tolerate.

I have a question for you. If your wife is somewhat recoil shy, why are you wanting her to use a 30-06? Why not something like a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser or a 7mm-08. There are some schools of thought believe that the recoil from an 0-6 is about the maximum most folks can tolerate.

Because a .30-06 is one caliber I've actually never had in the cabinet.....she'll be fine I think.....or hope. If not, we can move her back down to my son's 7x57. And I have long term plans to get her up to handling a .375 for buff. @Christina Nyczepir is handling it, and my wife is only maybe a bit taller than her.

I understand your desires and long term aspirations for your wife's future hunting and or shooting experiences. Speaking as a long time Firearms Instructor I've seen many women totally turned off to any future shooting because they were submitted to the recoil of a rifle that was beyond their expectations. My 2 cents worth of advice would be to start with mild recoiling rifles and build her up slowly and on HER TIMETABLE. On the other hand if she is a long time shooter go for it. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Light loads in a 7 x 57 would be a great place to start!!

I understand your desires and long term aspirations for your wife's future hunting and or shooting experiences. Speaking as a long time Firearms Instructor I've seen many women totally turned off to any future shooting because they were submitted to the recoil of a rifle that was beyond their expectations. My 2 cents worth of advice would be to start with mild recoiling rifles and build her up slowly and on HER TIMETABLE. On the other hand if she is a long time shooter go for it. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Light loads in a 7 x 57 would be a great place to start!!

Totally agree. I've brought one son up through the calibers starting with light loads in a .308 Win with a muzzle brake, he now shoots my .375. The other boy is still a work in progress but he'll be there soon enough.

Because a .30-06 is one caliber I've actually never had in the cabinet.....she'll be fine I think.....or hope. If not, we can move her back down to my son's 7x57. And I have long term plans to get her up to handling a .375 for buff. @Christina Nyczepir is handling it, and my wife is only maybe a bit taller than her.

Isn't everybody? :(

Totally agree. I've brought one son up through the calibers starting with light loads in a .308 Win with a muzzle brake, he now shoots my .375. The other boy is still a work in progress but he'll be there soon enough.
Phil, whath rifle have you in 30-06 caliber?...
There is not the same recoil in any rifle!...
A Tikka kicks much more than a CZ semi bull barrel!

If you look at my earlier post on here, my Tikka T3 Lite SS only weighed 6.5 lbs before the scope, spraying expanding foam through the stock, and adding a Limbsavers recoil pad to it. After the change the recoil was a little less jaw jarring. I can even shoot 240 gr Woodleighs at 2500 fps without much of a problem, although after 10 rounds and having breaks, she is still a bear!

It's a Model 70 Featherweight, and I may have made a mistake there. My son has the same in 7x57, and it's a pussycat. My other son has the Tikka T3 Lite in .308 Win, and it's a pussycat too with 165gr bullets doing 2600fps.

The M70 is just a bit heavier than the T3 and the same 2800fps in a 165gr bullet is what I'm expecting. But what I wasn't expecting is that it does give a somewhat noticeable pop. It certainly does not bother me, just more than I was expecting.

Slow and steady, I'm sure we'll get her there.

If you look at my earlier post on here, my Tikka T3 Lite SS only weighed 6.5 lbs before the scope, spraying expanding foam through the stock, and adding a Limbsavers recoil pad to it. After the change the recoil was a little less jaw jarring. I can even shoot 240 gr Woodleighs at 2500 fps without much of a problem, although after 10 rounds and having breaks, she is still a bear!

Try a T3 Lite in .300WM, it's a challenge to keep the gun in your hands.

It's a Model 70 Featherweight, and I may have made a mistake there. My son has the same in 7x57, and it's a pussycat. My other son has the Tikka T3 Lite in .308 Win, and it's a pussycat too with 165gr bullets doing 2600fps.

The M70 is just a bit heavier than the T3 and the same 2800fps in a 165gr bullet is what I'm expecting. But what I wasn't expecting is that it does give a somewhat noticeable pop. It certainly does not bother me, just more than I was expecting.

Slow and steady, I'm sure we'll get her there.
Beautiful weapon, the Winchester 70!... I love them!
Don´t worry about the noise, you try my load? Whath dou you think about the recoil?
Do youre wife try any shot?

Beautiful weapon, the Winchester 70!... I love them!
Don´t worry about the noise, you try my load? Whath dou you think about the recoil?
Do youre wife try any shot?

Been so busy with work this spring, I haven't been shooting since before Christmas.

Been so busy with work this spring, I haven't been shooting since before Christmas.
UUUUUH!.... I´m so sad to read this!...
I can´t figure five months without the gunpowder smell!... the shot noise!...
I think i´m turning crazy ....:ROFLMAO:
If my friend (owner of the 30-06, a Maverick very lightweight) lend me the rifle I try some bullets and take some filmations!

From my understanding even with his limited range time @PHOENIX PHIL has narrowed it down to two different loads...

CoreLokt_box_shells.jpg

318111_1.jpg

@Royal27 ...... Nope, not gonna say it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois