2nd safari, Wilderness hunt for Sable and Buffalo, where and when?

Big Country

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
United States, Canada, KZN South Africa
I am starting to put together details for our next safari and am looking for some reflection from those of you that have been there a few more times than I.
The first trip we took was to a typically posh bush lodge in KZN last year. It was a great place and a good test of what my lovely wife and I actually require out of a hunting camp.
For our next safari we have decided that a more basic wilderness experience is what we are looking for. List of ideas so far:
Time schedule:
16-21 days in country
10-14 days hunting and the balance for fishing
Things we need:
-relative safety for my wife and I
-a tent or thatched roof over our heads at night
-a toilet and shower occasionally, indoor or out
-hunting in a wilderness area, remote location
Things we would like to avoid:
-Extremely high heat and humidity, rainforest, jungle, lots of bugs, days on end of walking through swamps, etc. Mrs. Country does not do well in the extreme heat and would not enjoy slogging through the great swamps all day.
-high fence game reserves
Things we want:
-First and foremost, the chance at a tremendous black sable bull
-the chance at a quality hard bossed buffalo
-Lions and Elephant free ranging to be seen and heard during our stay
-Quality tiger fishing within reach
-no towns, city lights, etc. close
I understand that what we are asking for is far from your typical 5-7 days RSA or namibia starter safari and the cost will be substantially different.
Where can this be found?

I understand that what we are asking for is far from your typical 5-7 days RSA or namibia starter safari and the cost will be substantially different.

No doubt.

Big Country PM sent.

Seems like you might want to look into Zambia or northern Zimbabwe and combine it with a visit to Victoria Falls. You could also do fishing in that area.

I think northern Zimbabwe might be in your future and I am Jealous.:Sour:

Things we want:
Where can this be found?

hi @Big Country i think zambia in july/ early sept would be perfect for you. there will always be bugs but july is cold at night and early sept is still pretty cool as well. it gets up to the mid to high 20`s c during the day so pleasant. the air is very dry so no humidity. zambia is pretty safe as well as giving you proper africa compared to a certain country south of the limpopo .......:A Whistle::A Stirring::E Big Grin: the camps are either large safari tents or thatched chalets with ensuite facilities. 21 days would be good, with 14 days hunting giving you time to travel to wherever you would be fishing for 4/5 days, without having to be rushing around. pm or email me if i can help. cheers mike

Let me know if I can help, Niassa Mozambique would work extremely well for you.

We also have a fresh area in lake Cahorra bassa region.

My best always

I am starting to put together details for our next safari and am looking for some reflection from those of you that have been there a few more times than I.
The first trip we took was to a typically posh bush lodge in KZN last year. It was a great place and a good test of what my lovely wife and I actually require out of a hunting camp.
For our next safari we have decided that a more basic wilderness experience is what we are looking for. List of ideas so far:
Time schedule:
16-21 days in country
10-14 days hunting and the balance for fishing
Things we need:
-relative safety for my wife and I
-a tent or thatched roof over our heads at night
-a toilet and shower occasionally, indoor or out
-hunting in a wilderness area, remote location
Things we would like to avoid:
-Extremely high heat and humidity, rainforest, jungle, lots of bugs, days on end of walking through swamps, etc. Mrs. Country does not do well in the extreme heat and would not enjoy slogging through the great swamps all day.
-high fence game reserves
Things we want:
Where can this be found?
Try CharltonMcCallum in Zimbabwe. They are wonderful and can provide the hunt you want. I have hunted with them. They have excellent references.

You are describing exactly what I'll be looking for on our next Safari. Hope you keep the thread updated on who you decided to go with and then post how it went!!!

good luck,ive hunted with C&M also and they are great

Hi Big Country,
Moz or Zim will be the best on the fishing side. I don't think you will find a better hunt than in Tanzania. We offer all of what you are looking for in a wilderness hunt.
If cost is not a problem the fishing can be taken care of, but our areas are so remote that it would be better to concentrate on the hunt for the time you have mentioned.
we have buffalo and sable in good numbers - we also have a few tsetse flies that you may not care for!
Let me know if I can help.

Drop me an email, we can offer you an amazing hunt for what you are after in our Zambezi valley area on lake kariba, combine it with a hippo and crocodile and some tiger fishing. 2 million acres, remote, rugged and a total experience.
Cheers
Martin
martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com

Zambia or The Matetsi blocks in Zimbabwe. They are best for sable - I took a 44 5/8 in Unit two some years ago. And a buff in the same place, though Buffalo can be more variable. Huge blocks, with a variety of outfitters. I assume Kazuma and other contiguous areas would be the same.

The weather will typically be warm and dry during hunting season. Low humidity, no swamps.

After the hunt you can enjoy Victoria Falls, and Tiger fishing on the Zambezi. Hard to beat that.

And free range no fences all the way. Heck, but for the Botswana Defence Forces you can cross a road and wander into Botswana (as I did, against my PH's wishes - those guys do show up fast!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois