270 winchester bullet performance question 150 partitions and A frames

Rocco490

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Wanted to get some first hand info on the bullet performance of the 270 winchester loaded with 150 Partitions and 150 A frames and if anyone has used the 150 SST hornady bullets how those performed too.

Rocco490.... I agree with bruce, but I've got 20+ years experience loading .270win with every bullet I can get my hands on.

For the 150gr bullets - Great penetration and terminal performance on the 3 bullets you mentioned on deer & hogs; with the deer being whitetail bucks in the 200lbs+ range.

However my own personal favorite for .270win is the 140gr Accubond loaded with Reloader22 powder(0.5gr under max); likewise I also load the 140gr Hornady BTSP with the same charge of RL22 and use it for practice, pigs & culling whitetail.

I mention the 140gr bullets because in my personal opinion they seem to have the best accuracy and on game performance for what I hunt and with the rifles I hunt/shoot with.

About to start loading up some 270Win for my brother-in-law, and those are my two choices.

When you look at the ballistics, a 130 gr bullet at 3K fps vs a 150 gr at 2850, 200 yard zero. The 130 is about a half inch flatter at 300 yards than the 150. Energy of course favors the 150.

also agree with @deewayne2003 on trying the NAB 140s.

The only thing you'll consistently get out of a 130 over a 150 is more ruined meat on close shots.

I've used the 150g partitions for close to 50 years in my 270. I use Rem brass, Federal 215 (magnum) primers and a lot of H4831 (compressed load). I get just over 3000 fps from my Rem BDL with a 22" barrel. Killed countless deer, dozens of elk and 9 black bears with this load. Expands out to 600 yards and does the job on elk at 15 yards as well. Still shoots nickel sized groups at 100 yards.

rocco,
it would help to know what you want to shoot, and what sort of country you want to shoot it in.
the bullet weight suggests bigger species.
bruce.
I would like to know what people have used them on and how they have performed. I have heard the .277 150 partition is very versatile and can handle everything from smaller whitetails to big bull elks. I am looking for a load that will work on lighter game and will still provide good penetration on tougher larger game

rocco,
if you want the greatest versatility, the swift is the way to go.
with bull elk sized game it will leave the nosler in its dust.
on whit tail you will not notice the difference.
just because the swift retains most of its weigh do not assume it does not open up.
it opens up quite fast.
bruce.

rocco,
if you want the greatest versatility, the swift is the way to go.
with bull elk sized game it will leave the nosler in its dust.
on whit tail you will not notice the difference.
just because the swift retains most of its weigh do not assume it does not open up.
it opens up quite fast.
bruce.
Thank you for responding I was thinking the A frame might be too tough for smaller deer glad to hear thats not the case. I see that swift loads factory ammo for the 150 A frame in the 270 winchester and they are advertising impressive velocity near 3000 with their load. I will eventually have to get a box of their ammo and see how it shoots in my gun hard to get ammo right now though.....

Only used the 140 gr swift A-frames. No complaints. I like heavy for caliber bullets.

I would like to know what people have used them on and how they have performed. I have heard the .277 150 partition is very versatile and can handle everything from smaller whitetails to big bull elks. I am looking for a load that will work on lighter game and will still provide good penetration on tougher larger game

I will always have a soft spot for the Nosler Partition and it would serve you well. But the A-Frame is the NP on steroids, without question an improvement on a great bullet.

I'd say you're overthinking this (and that comes from someone who does this), just go with the A-Frames if they shoot well in your rifle and hunt with confidence.

Worked up a load for a 270 A-Bolt with 150 gr Swift A-Frames. My accuracy load with H-4350 delivered an average of 2807 FPS.

Nathan Foster's Ballistic Studies is a great read on any caliber to get an idea of bullet performance.

Link to the

I use the Swift A-Frame in my 375 Weatherby on the big bears of North America and think the world of it. I use the 150g Partition in my 270 Win for two reasons

1. It does the job up close (15 yards and less), the front disintegrates but the rear still completely penetrates the animal. An A-Frame would be a little better in this situation.

2. Out past 400 yards (my longest killing shot on elk is 600 yards) the Partition always opens up and still penetrates. I don't trust either the A-Frame or TSX to open up at these ranges fired from a 270 Win.

I've only had to shoot one animal twice, a doe in Montana that I shot at 30 yards who just didn't know she was dead, her heart was completely disintegrated but she gamboled about 40 yards so i put another round in her.

Both great bullets. If you keep your shots under 350 yards go with the A-Frame.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. Has anyone used the 150 sst from hornady? I was interested in this bullet mainly for punching paper and possibly smaller game whitetail deer sheep goat ect. anyone used the 150sst in the 270?

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. Has anyone used the 150 sst from hornady? I was interested in this bullet mainly for punching paper and possibly smaller game whitetail deer sheep goat ect. anyone used the 150sst in the 270?

Just not a fan of shooting animals with fast-moving cup and core bullets. to be sure, millions of deer, elk, black bear, and African PG have been killed with them. but anymore, there just isn't a reason to not use bonded or mono bullets out of fast movers like 270 Win is.

Just not a fan of shooting animals with fast-moving cup and core bullets. to be sure, millions of deer, elk, black bear, and African PG have been killed with them. but anymore, there just isn't a reason to not use bonded or mono bullets out of fast movers like 270 Win is.

I have heard complaints of the monometal bullets not expanding enough or at all and just penciling threw on light bodied game especially at extended ranges.

I have heard complaints of the monometal bullets not expanding enough or at all and just penciling threw on light bodied game especially at extended ranges.
It is for sure and for certain that the hunter needs to be aware of the limitations of his equipment, including the bullets.

If I'm shooting a fast mover like a 270 or 7mm RM, it means I'll load up with monos or premiums. If it's my 308 Win or my 6.5x55, I'm pretty confident that cup and cores will do the trick at any distance I'm willing to shoot.

Know your equipment.

I’ve not used the 150 grain SST but I’ve used the 270 140 grain SST for about as long as they’ve been around. I hunt where the average shot is 250 yards for mule deer. It’s worked well for me. I’ve not recovered any bullets but lots of internal damage and small exit wounds. Looks like most of the bullet comes apart inside the deer and the jacket and some of the base of the bullet exits. Quick kills and typically only a few steps before they drop. I shoot for the shoulders because I want them drt because I don’t want them to run to the bottom of the canyon where I’d have to drag them out. Works well for the way I hunt but I wouldn’t use them for game bigger than deer.

I am partial to the 150 grain Nosler Partition for the .270 Winchester . I have personally hunted several whitetail deer and mule deer with this combination . However , I cannot comment about the suitability of this combination on American elk ( since I have never hunted an elk with any calibre smaller than .30-06 Springfield ) .

The Swift A Frame is an excellent bullet too , and I have recently been using them quite a bit . However , I have a sentimental weakness for the Nosler Partition because I have been using them for upwards of three decades .

There's nothing short of thick skinned DG that I wouldn't poke with a 150 Partition.
I haven't loaded any A-Frames or SST's so I can't speak to them, but I do plan to try some A-Frame 150's, Partition 160's Accubond 165's & 175's and some Woodleigh 180's. I've got 270's in 8 twist, 8.5 twist and a 9 twist to see which is optimal for the heavier bullets.
150 Partitions over Reloader 26 with Federal 215 primers in Federal nickel plated brass is giving me velocities from 3000-3200 depending on which rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg