270 Brno vs 6.5x55 Sako

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello there all!

Well, it's finally happened. Between myself and my wife we have filled up the gun safe and she has kiboshed getting another one. Sadly this means that if a new rifle goes into the safe an old one must go out. At this point I'm trying to decide between letting go of a 1977 Brno in 270 or a new Sako in 6.5x55. I can shoot both well, I love the feel of the Brno but love the weight (or lack thereof) of the Sako. Both can print on a target with no problems, in fact this weekend I was pinging the 500m target with the 270 just fine and know the 6.5x55 will do the same. I'm not a long range hunter by any means, usually limiting myself to 200m at the furthest. I prefer close stalks when I can and just watching with binos when I cant. I do have some reloading gear but haven't set up shop yet and wouldn't be willing to risk detonating either rifle if I fat-finger a load so, for right now, hand loading isn't an option. Anyway Ive combed the internet and these forums but I simply cannot make up my mind so I'm looking for advice. Thanks you all for your input.

I would keep the guns and get rid of the wife :whistle:

I would keep the Brno, for no real specific reason other than I tend to like the looks and feel of older rifles more. Then again, I have never owned a Sako and know many folks that love them. So basically I am of absolutely zero help whatsoever. Good luck!

Get a BIGGER safe!!!

Get a BIGGER safe!!!
What he said!

I finally built a gun room. (y)

And no American should ever have to live without a .270 (OK, maybe Elmer Keith)

Ok, if the bigger safe is out, keep the SAKO.

Yes, sadly a bigger safe is out. The one we have would make a fair closet but I'm a bit of a WW2 rifle enthusiast and then my wife got into it as well and those old rifles are not space savers by any means!

It will be easier to replace the Sako 6.5x55 later if you want one again. I'd keep the Brno.

Ship that Sako to South Africa. I’ll keep it safe and in running condition for you then you always have a plainsgame rifle when you come over. I wouldn’t even charge you for the service.

On a serious note, is it not an option to put another small 4/5 rifle safe somewhere in your house? Both are good rifles, storage space shouldn’t be a reason to sell one

Ship that Sako to South Africa. I’ll keep it safe and in running condition for you then you always have a plainsgame rifle when you come over. I wouldn’t even charge you for the service.

On a serious note, is it not an option to put another small 4/5 rifle safe somewhere in your house? Both are good rifles, storage space shouldn’t be a reason to sell one

That is a very generous offer, I'm sure you would be happy to take it out every now and again to make sure the scope was still sighted in correctly as well! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No, unfortunately another safe isn't an option. In this instance it's also about the number of firearms that we own and the amount of money we have invested in them. If I'm honest I do have a little "retail therapy" problem that manifests with firearms. My wife has asked that I slow down and I honestly see the wisdom of it. This one in one out policy should help and I agreed to it. The other thing is that having two rifles that can basically do the same thing in the safe means that one of those two isn't getting the use it deserves. So I'd like to let one go so someone else can enjoy it.

It will be easier to replace the Sako 6.5x55 later if you want one again. I'd keep the Brno.

That's a pretty good point, thank you! I suppose that looking into the future I can see that, though it also might be a bit too far into the future for me. Honestly I doubt I'll be replacing the one I keep anytime in the next decade or two.

That's a pretty good point, thank you! I suppose that looking into the future I can see that, though it also might be a bit too far into the future for me. Honestly I doubt I'll be replacing the one I keep anytime in the next decade or two.
LOL. Next you'll stand up and give us your first name! Don't say things like that - we all know you don't mean it, even if you actually think you do. :Facepalm:

But the BRNO from that period is a well made rifle that is already picking up some collector value. I am confident that it will continue to appreciate.

I've been a sako nut and newrly every rifle I've purchased has been one, same goes for my old man and my brother.

But now that I'm building a new rifle on a cz I'm wishing i had of held out for a brno, sako hasn't crossed my mind!

Mind you, I'd be thinking about what's closer to other calibres you already have.

Keep your 270 - the BRNO is a character rifle and the 270 will trump the 6.5 in every department

This is what I was looking for as well. How does the .270 trump the 6.5x55? To me, concerning ballistics, they seem very similar. Ive seen the 270 perform well in Africa and I thought that meant the 6.5x55 would perform admirably as well. Was I mistaken?

The Brno is not made anymore so.............but, I think the 6.5x55 has more class. Ah, the decisions one must make in life.

I'm not one for getting rid of guns. What I'd do is take a bolt gun that isn't one of my favorites out of the safe, put it's bolt in the safe and put a gun lock on the unbolted rifle, then stick it in a closet. If it should get stolen, no bolt. End result... Now you have room for both the .270 and 6.5.
That being said, I'd give some serious consideration to cagkt3's idea of getting rid of the wife.

Welp, finally made my decision and I want to say thank you for all of your help! I'm keeping the 6.5x55 because it's a nice rifle and pretty accurate. I don't see that realistically there is anything the 6.5x55 cant do that the 270 can. Yes, a few fps difference but in practical terms I think this will take anything from Impala to, with very good shot placement, Kudu. As for the 270 you will be happy to hear that is has found a new home in my fathers safe. He has some pest problems out at the home and the 270 should fit perfectly as a deterrent/ problem solver.

I would have kept the BRNO myself. Oh well at least it stayed in the family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg