270 Brno vs 6.5x55 Sako

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello there all!

Well, it's finally happened. Between myself and my wife we have filled up the gun safe and she has kiboshed getting another one. Sadly this means that if a new rifle goes into the safe an old one must go out. At this point I'm trying to decide between letting go of a 1977 Brno in 270 or a new Sako in 6.5x55. I can shoot both well, I love the feel of the Brno but love the weight (or lack thereof) of the Sako. Both can print on a target with no problems, in fact this weekend I was pinging the 500m target with the 270 just fine and know the 6.5x55 will do the same. I'm not a long range hunter by any means, usually limiting myself to 200m at the furthest. I prefer close stalks when I can and just watching with binos when I cant. I do have some reloading gear but haven't set up shop yet and wouldn't be willing to risk detonating either rifle if I fat-finger a load so, for right now, hand loading isn't an option. Anyway Ive combed the internet and these forums but I simply cannot make up my mind so I'm looking for advice. Thanks you all for your input.

cagkt3

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
I would keep the guns and get rid of the wife :whistle:

I would keep the Brno, for no real specific reason other than I tend to like the looks and feel of older rifles more. Then again, I have never owned a Sako and know many folks that love them. So basically I am of absolutely zero help whatsoever. Good luck!

Bruce

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAGA/ Cape Hunters/ SA Hunters Association
Hunted
Namibia/Zimbabwe/Zambia/ South Africa/ Botswana/ Tanzania
Get a BIGGER safe!!!

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Get a BIGGER safe!!!
What he said!

I finally built a gun room. (y)

And no American should ever have to live without a .270 (OK, maybe Elmer Keith)

wesheltonj

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, DSC, SCI, HSC
Hunted
USA, RSA
Ok, if the bigger safe is out, keep the SAKO.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Yes, sadly a bigger safe is out. The one we have would make a fair closet but I'm a bit of a WW2 rifle enthusiast and then my wife got into it as well and those old rifles are not space savers by any means!

stug

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
NZ
It will be easier to replace the Sako 6.5x55 later if you want one again. I'd keep the Brno.

Dewald

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
KZN Hunters/ SAHGCA/
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
Ship that Sako to South Africa. I’ll keep it safe and in running condition for you then you always have a plainsgame rifle when you come over. I wouldn’t even charge you for the service.

On a serious note, is it not an option to put another small 4/5 rifle safe somewhere in your house? Both are good rifles, storage space shouldn’t be a reason to sell one

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Ship that Sako to South Africa. I’ll keep it safe and in running condition for you then you always have a plainsgame rifle when you come over. I wouldn’t even charge you for the service.

On a serious note, is it not an option to put another small 4/5 rifle safe somewhere in your house? Both are good rifles, storage space shouldn’t be a reason to sell one

That is a very generous offer, I'm sure you would be happy to take it out every now and again to make sure the scope was still sighted in correctly as well! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No, unfortunately another safe isn't an option. In this instance it's also about the number of firearms that we own and the amount of money we have invested in them. If I'm honest I do have a little "retail therapy" problem that manifests with firearms. My wife has asked that I slow down and I honestly see the wisdom of it. This one in one out policy should help and I agreed to it. The other thing is that having two rifles that can basically do the same thing in the safe means that one of those two isn't getting the use it deserves. So I'd like to let one go so someone else can enjoy it.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
It will be easier to replace the Sako 6.5x55 later if you want one again. I'd keep the Brno.
That's a pretty good point, thank you! I suppose that looking into the future I can see that, though it also might be a bit too far into the future for me. Honestly I doubt I'll be replacing the one I keep anytime in the next decade or two.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
That's a pretty good point, thank you! I suppose that looking into the future I can see that, though it also might be a bit too far into the future for me. Honestly I doubt I'll be replacing the one I keep anytime in the next decade or two.
LOL. Next you'll stand up and give us your first name! Don't say things like that - we all know you don't mean it, even if you actually think you do. :Facepalm:

But the BRNO from that period is a well made rifle that is already picking up some collector value. I am confident that it will continue to appreciate.

JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
I've been a sako nut and newrly every rifle I've purchased has been one, same goes for my old man and my brother.

But now that I'm building a new rifle on a cz I'm wishing i had of held out for a brno, sako hasn't crossed my mind!

Mind you, I'd be thinking about what's closer to other calibres you already have.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Keep your 270 - the BRNO is a character rifle and the 270 will trump the 6.5 in every department
This is what I was looking for as well. How does the .270 trump the 6.5x55? To me, concerning ballistics, they seem very similar. Ive seen the 270 perform well in Africa and I thought that meant the 6.5x55 would perform admirably as well. Was I mistaken?

7x57Joe

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
The Brno is not made anymore so.............but, I think the 6.5x55 has more class. Ah, the decisions one must make in life.

meigsbucks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Zimbabwe and Namibia
I'm not one for getting rid of guns. What I'd do is take a bolt gun that isn't one of my favorites out of the safe, put it's bolt in the safe and put a gun lock on the unbolted rifle, then stick it in a closet. If it should get stolen, no bolt. End result... Now you have room for both the .270 and 6.5.
That being said, I'd give some serious consideration to cagkt3's idea of getting rid of the wife.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Welp, finally made my decision and I want to say thank you for all of your help! I'm keeping the 6.5x55 because it's a nice rifle and pretty accurate. I don't see that realistically there is anything the 6.5x55 cant do that the 270 can. Yes, a few fps difference but in practical terms I think this will take anything from Impala to, with very good shot placement, Kudu. As for the 270 you will be happy to hear that is has found a new home in my fathers safe. He has some pest problems out at the home and the 270 should fit perfectly as a deterrent/ problem solver.

8x68

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
OFAH, CCFR
Hunted
Canada, USA
I would have kept the BRNO myself. Oh well at least it stayed in the family.

Latest profile posts

20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings
Sugar4646 wrote on Warpig602's profile.
Hey boss wanted to inquire about the .308 rifle you have for sell can you send me payment information. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thank you.