257 Weatherby on cape buffalo?

Bell used a 7x57 to kill elephants. Weatherby used (maybe) a 257 to kill Buffalo. I don’t think anyone should follow their lead. I think it’s important to note that Weatherby also made rifles in 375, 378 and 460. So obviously he saw a need for larger calibers.

My answer is no. When I started hunting Africa I was told Big, Fat, and Slow is the bullet you need to be successful. I am a believer!

Bell used a 7x57 to kill elephants. Weatherby used (maybe) a 257 to kill Buffalo. I don’t think anyone should follow their lead. I think it’s important to note that Weatherby also made rifles in 375, 378 and 460. So obviously he saw a need for larger calibers.

I would not advocate either, but I’d far prefer the 7x57. Bell was shooting solids with fantastic sectional density at very modest velocities, almost certainly sub 2,300 fps.

A 257 Wby with a 100gr CEB solid would probably have the penetration ability to reach the vitals easily on a Buffalo. However the hole would be mighty small. A brain shot would most likely be extremely effective. Not much different than hunters using a 7x57 on Elephant brain shots. But again, why do it in today's world?

What does “harvest” mean? Is that some kind of woke phrase?
Its common American term, for animals taken in the hunt. I dont remember hearing Brits using that word.

Kind of like using an airgun on a buffalo...
Folks are doing it. My opinion is it's all for publicity.
Keith Warren (with his TV crew from The High Road) went to Africa and shot a Cape Buffalo from a blind with a .50 caliber airgun using a bolt (arrow). He also had to wait for the perfect shot to be available, something he would have a much harder time doing if stalking. It looked like the distance was less than 30 yards, Keith hit the shoulder and it dropped maybe 30 yards away.

IMO - The primary reason for this was to sell air rifles. Not necessarily for hunting Cape Buffalo, but if it will take them down, it will work for nearly any other animal. Secondly...it's legal and Keith Warren is all about making sure everyone knows that. Third is plain and simple ego. I like Keith and his shows, but everyone can't agree all the time.

Just to punch it up a bit, Keith's daughter (Matti) took a Cape Buffalo in the same manner to become the first female to ever do so. Again...ego. And I suppose to prove that Keith's shot wasn't a fluke.

Like others have said...just because it's possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea. That goes for the 257WBY as well as the airgun option.

Well here ya go... nuff said ;)

250-3000 ad-1.png

an interesting aside,

on this site, in the video section, is a guy hunting water buffalo, commercially, with a 308 win in Australia. he brain shot them all, and they all died right there. more than a 257 weatherby for sure, but not a lot of gun for buffalo. the interesting part is how many he shot, and time and time again, instant kills with a ruger m77 308 and fmj ball ammo. i think he ended up having to replace the barrel or the rifle because he shot it out. an interesting part of hunting history, and somewhat applicable. i suspect if one tucked a 120 gr barnes bullet or a solid at the base of the ear on a cape buffalo, they would be dead right there as well. would not be my first pick, or even a good idea, but it could be done.

an interesting aside,

on this site, in the video section, is a guy hunting water buffalo, commercially, with a 308 win in Australia. he brain shot them all, and they all died right there. more than a 257 weatherby for sure, but not a lot of gun for buffalo. the interesting part is how many he shot, and time and time again, instant kills with a ruger m77 308 and fmj ball ammo. i think he ended up having to replace the barrel or the rifle because he shot it out. an interesting part of hunting history, and somewhat applicable. i suspect if one tucked a 120 gr barnes bullet or a solid at the base of the ear on a cape buffalo, they would be dead right there as well. would not be my first pick, or even a good idea, but it could be done.

Here is the "Great Australian Buffalo Hunt". He used standard millitary Fmj, changed out rifle every 1500 buffalo or so, since they took so much hard use that it was little left in terma of service levels left for thwir need.

Some folks have the knack of proper bullet placement.
When discussing the possibility of a guided elk hunt with the wife of the owner of the guide service, I asked what was her preferred elk rifle.
She answered .243 Winchester.
As to where on the elk she placed her bullet ?--- Answer was "right behind the ear".

Save yourself--and your PH and trackers--a lot of time and trouble tracking a wounded buffalo and use enough gun. I've had a buffalo bull stay on his feet after two or more fatal hits from a 416 Rigby shooting 400gr TBBC ammo. The PH said, "shoot him again and keep shooting until he's down."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg